Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney 'Angels ready to talk trade"

Buster Olney 'Angels ready to talk trade"

He just said it on ESPN. So here is a team that is looking to dump. Is there anything in their pen that might interest us?
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buster Olney 'Angels ready to talk trade"

Don't know bout the pen.... but... Ervin Santana if they are willing to part with him....

Pen Wise... Donnelly, Shields maybe even Romero... I know he is sucking this year.. But the last 2 years has had a sub 3.50 ERA with 57 and 74 innigs pitched.
    Last edited by RedsMan3203; 06-22-2006 at 11:51 PM.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Shields.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Possible targets:

Craig Wilson
    Carlos Lee
    Alfonso Soriano
    Miguel Tejada
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

We don't need those 4 guys
    Go Gators!

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Shields.
    Maybe the best non-closer bullpen arm in North America?

Not on a per-dollar basis, but he's quite good.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Maybe the best non-closer bullpen arm in North America?

Not on a per-dollar basis, but he's quite good.
    Shields is that good, but Donnelly is the Angels' reliever I would target. He's cheaper ($1 mill), not that far behind Shields, and still more than two years removed from free agency. Plus, for whatever reasons, he appears to be on the outs with the Angels' coaching staff. He's only seen action eight times since May 23, although he has lowered his ERA from 4.35 to 3.18 over that stretch of time. He's also recently been quoted practically begging for a trade.

Other than Donnelly, I'm intrigued by Angels' 1B prospect Casey Kotchman. His bout with mono slowed his development this year, and Morales has now eclipsed him as the Angels' preferred 1B candidate for the future, leading Kotchman to openly vent his frustration. But Kotchman is only 23. A lefty, he's capable when healthy of posting a high OBP, with potential 20-25 HR power. The only drawback in trying to trade for Kotchman? He has just begun his rehab, so a deal probably couldn't be worked out until later in July.

It goes without saying, SP Santana and SS prospect Aybar also could be sweet acquisitions for the Reds. Of course, either would cost us a frontline OF. Probably Kearns or Dunn, maybe Denorfia, although how many kids can the Angels reasonably expect to break in at the same time?

Whether we're only pursuing a dinky deal or a slobberknocker, Krivsky should definitely be talking with the Angels. They are among the few teams that might have quality pitchers to deal, as well as a bounty of promising prospects.

We're in need of both pitchers and quality prospects. It's going to be at least another season or two before all we require to put us over the top is the one strategic veteran arm or bat.

IMO, the Angels are a much more interesting trade partner as a seller than as a buyer. Santana's probably untouchable if the Halos are giving up on 2006. Yeah, Shields and Donnelly would be nice additions to the bullpen, but much as I'm enjoying the Reds run this season I haven't for one moment been under the impression the team is built to contend for a full season. So I wouldn't suggest overpaying for a bullpen arm at the moment (were I convinced the Reds were a better team, I would be willing to overpay).

Could the Reds do something radical like a Dunn package for Santana, Aybar and Mathis? That strikes me as an off-season type of deal. My guess is the Angels will be looking to move guys like Jeff Weaver, Garret Anderson and Orlando Cabrera if they're in "Let's Make a Deal" mode.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Im sure they trade Jeff Weaver
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Man Pills

If the Reds are pulling the plug on this season, I'd recommend they go all out, then. As in, trade-Arroyo-all-out. There's no sense in getting sentimental.

I'd, however, make trades that help this season, and subsequent seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    If the Reds are pulling the plug on this season, I'd recommend they go all out, then. As in, trade-Arroyo-all-out. There's no sense in getting sentimental.
    Sentimental schmentimental, if the Reds trade away Arroyo all it accomplishes is putting the team down another arm in an already thin rotation. I've got no interest in watching the team go backwards on that front.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Sentimental schmentimental, if the Reds trade away Arroyo all it accomplishes is putting the team down another arm in an already thin rotation. I've got no interest in watching the team go backwards on that front.
    Well, if they're raising the white flag, who besides a semi-worthless Austin Kearns (gee, who could have guessed that one?) and maybe Felipe Lopez is tradeable?

I want no part of trading the Reds best player, Adam Dunn.

The Reds are two bullpen arms and a starter from very real pennant contention. Get it done. And pimp the hell out of quickly rising "superstar" Homer Bailey to get it done.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 06-23-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Well, if they're raising the white flag, who besides a semi-worthless Austin Kearns (gee, who could have guessed that one?) and maybe Felipe Lopez is tradeable?

Players they could trade that have some value to net good players / prospects:
    1) Lopez
    2) Denorfia
    3) Kearns
    4) Freel
    5) Aurilia
    Players they could trade that would net something of use (albeit probably further from major league ready):
    1) LaRue
    2) Valentin
    3) Hatteberg
    4) Milton
    5) Griffey
    6) Claussen (when healthy)
    7) Weathers
    8) minor leaguers

Unless Claussen comes back healthy and pitches well, I think he hurts us a lot. His ineffectiveness could not only result in the Reds not being able to move him, but probably Milton as well, unless we can get a major league ready starter in return in a trade or a trade for someone else, which is semi-doubtful.

At this point, I think it might be better to hold onto Griffey rather than trade him. I just don't see the return on him being very good, and his 10/5 rights make things more difficult even if you could put a decent deal together. Maybe next year, if he moves to a corner, he'll have more value.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I don't know that Dunn's outperformed Arroyo this year. Dunn's been very good, but Arroyo has really blown me away.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

If you want to make a meaningful move, acquire Shields. The guy is a tremendous reliever. With Shields and Coffey at the end of the game, the bullpen would suddenly become a strength.

Then, with a few cheaper moves and good decisions in middle relief, you have something.

The Reds are in serious playoff contention right now. To stay there, they need at least one serious addition to the pen. Go for Shields.

Turn Off Ads?