Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Krivsky Dragging His Feet?

Is Krivsky Dragging His Feet?

Doesn't it seem like the time to make a move for bullpen help has been right now for, at least, 2 weeks? Is Reds GM Wayne Krivsky dragging his feet and wasting valuable time is acquiring some bullpen and rotation help? I am not bagging on Krivsky, I don't know what he's doing behind the seems, but all seems quite regarding any rumors of transactions to improve the club.

I was just interested in your thoughts on the subject. Am I just being impatient?

Is he waiting on Machado and Hancock to come back? That was last year right?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Krivsky Dragging His Feet?

I don't see the market being that good, right now. Too many teams can still think 'we have a chance'. Until more teams throw in the towel, I just don't think the market for teams that want to sell, is that big.

WK has given me no reason NOT to trust him, so therefore, in Wayne I trust....

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    I don't see the market being that good, right now. Too many teams can still think 'we have a chance'. Until more teams throw in the towel, I just don't think the market for teams that want to sell, is that big.

I'd have to fall on this line of thinking too. We don't want a move for a move's sake; we want something substantive that's not going to set the team back in the long run.

I'd rather he practice a little due dilligence.

Teams are far more willing to part with bullpenners at the deadline.

To try and push a deal through at this juncture will cost more (in player value) , and with relievers being as volatile as they are, it's better to wait until teams are a bit more desperate to jettison contracts.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I agree with SC Reds Fans. Until more teams fall farther behind we are stuck with ini house solutions. DFA, White Call ups in Standridge and Belisle soon. Until then Wayne is doing what the market allows him to do.
    At the very least you know he isn't looking for another outfielder like Bowden would do.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans

Nice post.

Unless we're in the front office, we really don't know what is going on. If I had to bet, I'd bet that he's scouring the majors for potential dealing partners. It's not that easy.

He's certainly earned my trust with what he's done since taking over. Let's see what happens between now and the trading deadline before we pass judgment.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I don't think The Kriv is dragging his feet at all. I agree with most posts here that the market isn't great right now and I believe he's been working hard behind the scenes.

All has been quiet on the trade front recently. I'm hoping it's the "calm before the storm". I'm of the opinion that The Kriv will make some sort of big deal in a couple of weeks that will not only make the team better this year, it will further our chances of doing well next and show the fans that the new ownership is for real (I think they're already for real, but being buyers at the trading deadline will seal the deal). I really think one dynamic move could give this team a spark that would last the rest of the year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds go after Jon Rauch of the Nats. Normally, I'd be leary of a fly ball pitcher from Washington, but his stats on the road have been quite respectable--he's actually allowed fewer runs and a lower Opp. BA on the road than at RFK. Additionally, he's cheap--only making $335,000 this year. I say offer the Nats Denofria for Rauch and see if they bite.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Keep your eye on the Tribe. IF they don't make a quick turnaround, they will be shopping players including Bob Wickman their closer. Downside is he will be a free agent at the end of the season.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I would at least hear some reassurance from Kriv. Or here a rumor of how Kriv is in talks with someone. The fact of the matter is, if he does wait for the deadline, this team might be out of it. This bullpen is not going to get better on its own. It's not like they have a bunch of 23 yr olds who should get better as time goes along.

Look at what Narron said the other day. He wants to use Coffey in the 7th or 8th and then use Weathers, Hammond or Mercker to close. Is he serious? Hammond, the guy with the ERA over 6? The other two, who aren't much better? He has no other options. I cannot blame Narron since this BP is horrific.

Kriv should be getting the newspapers and looking at the bottom of the standings. Those are his current trade partners. Overpay a little. Go find some pitchers with live arms. Get a starter who hasn't panned out, but throws 94. Do something. Before he knows it, it will be July 28th and the team will be 10 out and 5 out of the WC. Then what? Worst case is he can then trade them again.

What do you think it would take to get Valverde out of Arizona? I hope Wayne knows, b/c that phone call should have already been made.

Maybe Wayne Krivsky is planning another deal with Minnesota? It is no doubt they will be shopping some of their veteran pitchers.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Maybe Wayne Krivsky is saying a lot by not saying anything at all. Maybe there is nothing he wants out there yet to deal for because the price is too high.

I'm sure WayneK is working the phones or scanning lists.

He doesn't "need" our approval nor he "needs" to reassure us.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    I would at least hear some reassurance from Kriv. Or here a rumor of how Kriv is in talks with someone.
    Maybe Jimbo can give him some pointers on how to slip things to Gammons...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The market hasn't opened yet.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    The market hasn't opened yet.
    Unless you live in Kansas City, in which case it opened during spring training.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?