Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillies pitcher Brett Myers charged with hitting wife

Phillies pitcher Brett Myers charged with hitting wife

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...olence_charge/

By Andrew Ryan, Associated Press Writer | June 23, 2006

BOSTON --Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Brett Myers was arrested Friday and charged with hitting his wife in the face on a street not far from Fenway Park.

Myers, who was scheduled to pitch Saturday against the Red Sox, pleaded not guilty to assault charges at his arraignment Friday in Boston Municipal Court, said David Procopio, a spokesman for the Suffolk County District Attorney's office. Myers' next court date is Aug. 4.

Myers was arguing with his wife shortly after midnight at the corner of Boylston and Dalton streets, Procopio said. The woman and two witnesses told police the 25-year-old pitcher hit her. One witness told investigators Myers also pulled her hair.

"The evidence at this point leads us to believe the victim was struck in the left side of her face," Procopio said. He added that investigators are trying to determine if Myers hit her with a fist or open hand and whether he hit her more than once.

Police responded to a 911 call and found Myers' wife crying with a swollen face, Procopio said. Officers found Myers nearby and arrested him. Myers was booked by Boston police and his wife posted his $200 bail. Procopio did not know how long Myers spent in jail.

Procopio said he would not identify Myers' wife because she is a domestic violence victim. A player biography on Major League Baseball's Web site says Myers married Kim Wickman in September 2002 and the couple has a 3-year-old daughter.

The Phillies had no immediate comment.

As part of his bail conditions, Myers must not initiate contact with his wife and can see her only if she wants to see him. The judge also ruled that if Myers is arrested again while out on bail he can be jailed for up to two months.

Myers, 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds, made his debut with the Phillies in July 2002. This season, he is 5-3 with a 3.77 ERA.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillies pitcher Brett Myers charged with hitting wife

He should pitch and catch in prison for this little stunt.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Myers, 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds, made his debut with the Phillies in July 2002. This season, he is 5-3 with a 3.77 ERA.
    Wife is probably 5'3 110. She should get some swings at him with a bat.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Retired

Sounds like a quality person.

:thumbdown

Always good to hear stories like this, what a positive role model. I guess Freel's DUIs don't even come close to the severity of this.

Myers must be taking tips from some Bengals players.

:thumbdown

What a class act. I lose all respect for a guy like that. I hope he gets the maximum punishment and his wife wakes up and leaves him. There's a good chance this isn't the first time it's happened.

sounds like a real prince

All respect has been lost for Myers, and doesn't he already have some anger issues already? Seems that I have read this somewhere although I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    He should pitch and catch in prison for this little stunt.
    He would likely do more catching than pitching

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    He would likely do more catching than pitching
    He's a 6'4 240 pro athlete. Somebody would like that cookie but might have a hard time getting it...

Aw heck, who are we kidding... he's not going to jail. He'll be able to hire a good lawyer, even in Boston.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Jim Bowden will trade for him by the end of the week so they can share notes....
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Lock him up..for a long time
    Go Gators!

whodeynati85

I met Brett Myers down at spring training this year. Im involved with making a CD for the Phillies and we were talking to players to see who would be interested in being involved. Jimmy Rollins was real cool, a couple other guys were cool, but I didnt like Myers. He seemed kind of a jerk and you could tell he thought very highly of himself. Anyway, no one probably cares but just throwing in two cents. Ive been lurking on this sight for a long time and decided to make my first post.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

welcome whodey!!!

Turn Off Ads?