Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Homer Bailey the Reds' best pitching prospect in 20 years?

Re: Is Homer Bailey the Reds' best pitching prospect in 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by saboforthird
    Where can I go (besides games, because that won't be happening anytime soon) to find information on minor leaguers? This seems to be something that would be more my cup of tea, trying to project players.
    There are tons of websites for both Reds information and just minor league information.
    www.Milb.com is the official website for minor league baseball
    www.minorleagueball.com
    almost any of the Reds blogs either covers some minor leagues or has links to Reds blogs that will
    www.billingsmustangs.com
    www.daytondragons.com
    www.sarasotareds.com
    www.lookouts.com
    www.batsbaseball.com
    Those are all the official sites of the Reds minor league teams.
    www.firstinning.com
    www.ondeckbaseball.com

That should get you started

2. Turn Off Ads?

other touted pitchers were
    scott scudder
    pat pacillo
    curt lyons
    rob bell(acquired)

Saturday, August 14, 1999
    Reds, top draft pick close to deal

BY JOHN FAY
    The Cincinnati Enquirer
    Ty Howington, the top draft choice of the Reds, said he expects to sign with the club next week.

“We're hoping to get it worked out,” he said. “We're close.”

The Reds are believed to be offering Howington, a high school pitcher from Vancouver, Wash., a $1.7 million signing bonus.

“I talked to his agent (Thursday),” Reds General Manager Jim Bowden said. “We've come up some. They've backed off a little.”

The Reds and Howington can continue to negotiate up to the point Howington enrolls in college. Bowden doesn't expect it to come to that.

“We've got to sign him,” Bowden said.

Howington, a 6-foot-4 left-hander and 14th pick overall, just finished his summer league season. His team advanced to the Connie Mack World Series in Farmington, N.M., where it lost its first two games.

His fastball was consistently in the high 90s there.

I topped out at 98,” Howington said. “I worked on some things this summer that helped me throw harder.”

Howington said he won't report to a minor-league team after signing. Instead, he'll go to instructional league in Sarasota, Fla., which begins in September.

Maybe throwing harder wasn't the best idea. Hopefully he invested that 1.7 mil. wisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Howington was the type you stay FAR away from. He threw hard at the sake of a poor delivery which put alot of stress on the arm and it showed with decreasing velocity each year, though it was the 99 draft and Sheets/Zito were already gone. Again, the 98 Reds should have lost 100 games instead of trying to win now tsk tsk

Ty Howington ranked #25 on the BA Top 100 list in 2002, making him the highest-rated Reds pitching in their Top 100 archives dating back to 1990.

Rob Bell ranked #35 in 1999. John Roper ranked #36 in 1993. Homer Bailey ranked #38 heading into this season.

Those are your current valedictorians. Will Homer climb that list next year? Three starts ago, the answer would have been no, now it would be yes. Personally I find all the Homerism, well, spastic. There's a lot of baseball left to play this season.

Mind you, a high ranking from BA isn't much of a guarantee of anything. Top 10 pitching prospects from this decade include Edwin Jackson, Greg Miller, Jesse Foppert, Gavin Floyd, Juan Cruz and Ryan Anderson. Now there's also been some good pitchers to emerge from the Top 10, but they've been of the flash-in-the-pan variety. Only three pitchers from the BA Top 10 dating back to 1990 have managed three consecutive (or even total) years of 200+ IP and a sub-4.00 ERA. Steve Avery, Livan Hernandez and some guy named Pedro Martinez.

So a high ranking, while fun, isn't really indicative of much more than a guy's present market value.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Regardless of what BA says or any similar service though, I think Homer Bailey is the best pitching prospect the Reds have had in the last 20 years based on his numbers, his projection, his age, his level and his stuff.

Scott Scudder was an extremely well-regarded prospect back in 1989 as well.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

M2...I wouldnt remember that. I was heading off to kindergarten in 1989. I will take your word on that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    M2...I wouldnt remember that. I was heading off to kindergarten in 1989. I will take your word on that.
    You missed the great can't-miss parade of Armstong, Scudder, Chris Hammond, Roper and Mo Sanford.

Turned out that the actual best pitcher the Reds developed in those years was Butch Henry, who got dealt for Bill Doran.

Bill Doran....nice.

Turn Off Ads?