Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Games in Red History

Re: Greatest Games in Red History

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Did you say hello to GAC and RFS62 at that game? I understand that they had season tickets.
    As Maude use to say.... "God will get you for that one Walter!"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone12
    How did things fall apart in 2000?!?
    Ask Jim Bowden.

You can't deny that the '99 team captivated the town and half the country. Nobody expected it. How did things fall apart in 2000?!?
    1999 was a peak year for the bullpen, plus the annual reclamation starters blew doors off the projection.

Bowden went to create more offense (in an offensive era) and cut the defense and the payroll up for Griffey. In 2000 the pitching didn't repeat and the defense was worse.

The greatest game? Their last victory, of course.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Mario Soto's almost no-hitter in 1984.
    5/2/17 - Fred Toney and Hippo Vaughn of the Cubs have dueling no-hitters through 9 innings. The Reds get a hit in the 10th and eventually score the winning run. Toney holds the Cubs to maintain a 10 inning no-hitter.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Doo-Rag
    How about that game against the Astros in 1989 when the Reds scored about 12 runs in the first inning off of Clancy, Forsch, etc.
    Actually, it was 14 runs in the first inning. August 3rd, 1989. I remember that one very well.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

shamsky's three homeruns beating the pirtates when clemente also homered three times, I think the redoubtable right hander darrell Osteen was involved, as well as a triple play to beat the Cards in 1967, 1-0, cards had first and third no out in the ninth, grounder to cardenas to first then cepeda tried to score.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I came up off the couch when Johnny hit that one! A right-center field shot if I am not mistaken.
    Yes. It was unusual for JB to go the other way, but he did in hitting that HR. In game 2 of the 1975 World Series, which I previously mentioned, I believe that Bench also went the other way in hitting a double, prior to scoring the tying run on a Concepcion basehit. I'll have to watch game 2 on my new DVD set of the Series to doublecheck my memory.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I've got to mention Ron Robinson's near-perfect game in 1988. Only one strike away . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tsj017
    I've got to mention Ron Robinson's near-perfect game in 1988. Only one strike away . . .
    I remember the jerk on SportsCenter that night who referred to him as "former Pirate and Giant Don Robinson".

two of my most memorable reds games occurred within about a week's time period. it was the summer of 1970, my best friend had just gotten his driver's license and life was very good. during that stretch we saw both the last game at crosley field (6-24-70) (reds rally late with back-to-back blasts to beat the giants) and the opening of riverfront stadium 6-30-70 (braves spoiled the fun).

Game one of a July 1,1973 doubleheader against the Dodgers would have to be included. Hal King pinch hit 3 run homer gives the Reds a dramatic 4-3 win and propels them to come from 11 games behind to win the NL West.
    Game two of that DH could be included too. Reds won in extra innings 2-1. That was a big day in the Big Red Machine era.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Back in 2000 the Reds played CLE in Cinergy and it was Denny Naegle's last start before he was traded. It was a pitcher's duel and ended up 2-1 or 3-2 and CLE was threatening in the 9th - I believe - and they tried to send the runner home from 1st on a double and he was thrown out at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Back in 2000 the Reds played CLE in Cinergy and it was Denny Naegle's last start before he was traded. It was a pitcher's duel and ended up 2-1 or 3-2 and CLE was threatening in the 9th - I believe - and they tried to send the runner home from 1st on a double and he was thrown out at home.
    Alex Ochoa had just been inserted as a defensive replacement. And, if you can believe this, Danny Graves almost blew a save.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I was at that game too and it was the most exciting defensive ending to a game I'd ever been to.

Turn Off Ads?