Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't David Ross starting everyday?

Why isn't David Ross starting everyday?

He's proven himself in the field and at the plate (batting). I don't understand why he isn't our everyday catcher! He leads all of baseball in Homeruns at the catcher position, and hasn't even played that many games! Am I missing something?!?

Jason LaRue should just be traded or released - and Narron should stick with Ross/Valentin.

Plus, David Ross is the choice of our pitching ace Arroyo...
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why isn't David Ross starting everyday?

Release LaRue? we'll still have to pay him

Get rid of Valenin
    Go Gators!

Shining LaRue up for a trade, perhaps? Or trying to, anyway. See Graves, Danny - 2004 model.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

larue just needs some at bats and his numbers would improve...trading him now will be difficult...too good to simply release...valentin is the least valuable of the three...in my opinion

Because his success in the majors extends to all of 89 ab's and the Reds aren't about to drop a proven major league catcher such as Larue when he is owed another 6-7 million dollars over 2006-2007.

I'm all for giving Ross the majority of ab's while he's hot but anyone who thinks he's going to hit like this forever is probably up for some major disappointment.

Ross really doesn't throw that well either.

Valentin should really never get a start IMO.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Uh, Ross has been playing most of the time. Or as much every day as most catchers do these days. He's been out there at least three of every five for the past several weeks.

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Maybe Ross should be the one we should be looking to trade, we all know that LaRue should post solid numbers over the duration of the season, plus his contract is a big factor on the trade market. We would either have to pay for most of LaRue's contract or get little to nothing in return. I see Ross as a lower cost higher reward type trade.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

Ross really doesn't throw that well either.
    Lifetime Ross has a CS% of .366 while LaRues is .392. That places LaRue 3rd amoung NL catchers (comparing his lifetime to the 2006 leaders) and Ross tied for 4th. If you compared them to AL catchers LaRue would be 5th and Ross 7th. IMO, that isn't a significant enough difference to say "Ross really doesn't throw that well" unless you also say LaRue doesn't throw that well. Actually, it's Javy who's got a the lowest CS% of the three at .333%.

I'm not saying Ross is the 2nd comming of catchers but I'd like to see him continue to get AB's to see if he'll come back to earth. Of course, this doesn't make the LaRue situation any easier.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Lifetime Ross has a CS% of .366 while LaRues is .392. That places LaRue 3rd amoung NL catchers (comparing his lifetime to the 2006 leaders) and Ross tied for 4th. If you compared them to AL catchers LaRue would be 5th and Ross 7th. IMO, that isn't a significant enough difference to say "Ross really doesn't throw that well" unless you also say LaRue doesn't throw that well. Actually, it's Javy who's got a the lowest CS% of the three at .333%.

I'm not saying Ross is the 2nd comming of catchers but I'd like to see him continue to get AB's to see if he'll come back to earth. Of course, this doesn't make the LaRue situation any easier.
    It's really just an observation from watching him this year (when he's only thrown out runners at a rate .286)
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Everytime I look it seems like Ross is catching. Im actually suprised now when I see someone else doing the duties come gametime.

Ross is starting to cool off.

Just saying.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Ross is starting to cool off.

Just saying.
    Dat's cause Valentin's start threw him off his mojo!

Because his success in the majors extends to all of 89 ab's and the Reds aren't about to drop a proven major league catcher such as Larue when he is owed another 6-7 million dollars over 2006-2007.
    It's really just an observation from watching him this year (when he's only thrown out runners at a rate .286)
    Not to be nit-picky, but concerning his offence you discounted Ross' output because it's based on partial year data (ie. small sample size), yet, concerning his arm, you knock him a bit because of his performance based on that same partial year data.

I've looked at the catchers numbers a few times now, and am ready to go through them again when I get time (stupid yard needing mowed). I'm not sold yet as to what to do. I lean towards Ross, but LaRue's a proven commidity. I like Valentine for several reasons, but is he worth more as a trade chip or PH type?

I don't think we should DFA LaRue or just trade him for a sack of potatoes, nor do I think we should put all of our eggs in the Ross basket. It's a tough situation that will be interesting to see played out.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Dat's cause Valentin's start threw him off his mojo!
    Does Valentin mojo killing know no end?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Not to be nit-picky, but concerning his offence you discounted Ross' output because it's based on partial year data (ie. small sample size), yet, concerning his arm, you knock him a bit because of his performance based on that same partial year data.
    I really hadn't at his defensive stats until you calld me on it. I was just going on observation. You're correct, it does appear from his career stats that he may throw better than he has shown this year.

Turn Off Ads?