Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something odd is going on! Are the Reds becoming popular?

Something odd is going on! Are the Reds becoming popular?

I really don't know how to word the title but hopefully I can explain what I am trying to say. I remember being a Reds fan in the 70s when they were obviously popular and did a very good job marketing themselves. For the last 30 years they have failed miserably in marketing. Lately however, I see the Reds stuff and ads everywhere.

I live very near the Alabama/Mississippi/Tennessee line which is usually Cardinals country, (In the 70s it was Cards and Reds country) but suddenly I walk into sports stores in Alabama and see Reds jerseys at the front of the store(for the first time since 1990). I look at USA Today (today) and lo and behold Mr. Red himself is in an advertisement for Holiday Inn. I turn on Fox Sports Net and now the Reds are the default team instead of the Braves or Cardinals throughout most of Tennessee. I see people wearing Reds hats in lots of areas in the South. This is an overnight occurance...I'm telling you...an overnight occurance. It's almost like all of the fans went into hiding and now are coming back out with new management and ownership.

IT'S COOL TO BE A REDS FAN AGAIN!
    Last edited by paulrichjr; 06-24-2006 at 11:17 AM.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Something odd is going on! Are the Reds becoming popular?

I believe what you are seeing is the Reds asserting their terroritorial rights to their market. It takes team representatives to go town to town and meet face to face with these cable operators to persuade them that the Reds are the team of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    suddenly I walk into sports stores in Alabama and see Reds jerseys at the front of the store(for the first time since 1990).
    I absolutely love hearing this... I really do. But I'll tell ya what! They sure do need to concentrate some of that effort right here at home.

I've been looking for a new Reds hat literally for months.... nothing fancy, just the normal hat... red or black, I don't care.

I don't want to pay $25 so I'm looking at Meijer, K-Mart, Target, etc. And folks, you can't find them... the miniscule selection of ANY Reds gear without going into a sporting goods store is absolutely ridiculous. It makes me angry every single time and my daughter is sick of my continuing tirade every time I strike out looking for this hat. She was very disgusted with me over it just yesterday.

I swear, walking around in the local stores you'd never even know there was a major league team in town. And truthfully? Yes, it does disgust me.

Today I was in Kroger, the third store I went to trying to find the new issue of Cincinnati Magazine because, according to the local morning show, they did a very nice feature on Bronson Arroyo. So far, no luck in even finding this magazine! I asked the department manager about it.... "Bronson Arroyo? Who's he?". I was shocked! I honestly thought everybody in town would have heard of him by now, even if they aren't a baseball fan.

Why there isn't more/any merchandise available around town at the local retailers certainly isn't very effective marketing, especially when the team is doing well. If I'm having a hard time finding it, except at specialty stores, than others must be too.

Meijer sells Reds tickets for Pete's sake! But try finding a cap. They seem to have plenty of OU, X, UK, Bearcats, and Bengals.

One more pet peeve is that you also can not find any Reds gear at Christmas time, apparently because it's a summer sport. It's Christmas people; get smart!
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 06-24-2006 at 03:00 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Yeah I also live in TN and I bought the mlb radio thinking it would be the only way to hear the games but it seems like at least twice a weeek they are on Fox Sports South. I love it.

For those who live in the Cincinnati area, the Eastgate Biggs had offical MLB Reds hats for $7 or $8 a few weeks ago. My wife picked up one of the ones with the red cap and black brim for me. I don't know if they still have any, but it might be worth a try.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I found Arroyo and Freel t-shirt jerseys in Forest Fair, whoops I mean Cincinnati Mills, at Team Town, fyi. First time I've ever seen them outside of the stadium.
    "When the Russians conquer America, they will recruit concentration camp guards from among Cardinals fans."

Quote Originally Posted by DropDocK
    I found Arroyo and Freel t-shirt jerseys in Forest Fair, whoops I mean Cincinnati Mills, at Team Town, fyi. First time I've ever seen them outside of the stadium.
    Saw them there yesterday. Was very surprised.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

The Reds are also being shown in some parts of North Carolina as well. My parents live in the same county that Todd Coffey is from and they have been on there when the Braves aren't being shown on FSN South.

Definitely, good news. I can now follow the Reds when I visit my folks.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    I believe what you are seeing is the Reds asserting their terroritorial rights to their market. It takes team representatives to go town to town and meet face to face with these cable operators to persuade them that the Reds are the team of choice.
    I don't think the timing of this new and improved regional marketing and the takeover of new ownership is a coincidence. The Cardinals have been a great example of how a midwest city with a relatively smaller local market can increase revenues regionally.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Today I was in Kroger, the third store I went to trying to find the new issue of Cincinnati Magazine because, according to the local morning show, they did a very nice feature on Bronson Arroyo. So far, no luck in even finding this magazine! I asked the department manager about it.... "Bronson Arroyo? Who's he?". I was shocked! I honestly thought everybody in town would have heard of him by now, even if they aren't a baseball fan.
    Cincinnati Magazine may be a subscriber only mag, or at best one that is found in a few select retailers. I happen to have a subscription. TB, if you haven't found one yet and still would like it, let me know and I'll mail you my copy.
    This place use to be fun

Reds Leather Jacket. 49.99 Only "Large" left. It's not all leather.

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produc...ductId=2073843

20 percent coupon code is floating around. edit: enter coupon code: 6132
    Last edited by RBA; 06-24-2006 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Reds Leather Jacket. 49.99 Only "Large" left. It's not all leather.

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produc...ductId=2073843

20 percent coupon code is floating around. edit: enter coupon code: 6132

Very Very cool... I bought one...Thanks
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

TB, Not that you'd want to travel 100 miles to get it, but WalMart here in Grove City has the "un-official" reds caps with the adjustable bands in the back. I didn't get a price on them though. I'm one of the guilty parties that paid $25 for my black BP Reds cap. I wanted this one though because it was lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I absolutely love hearing this... I really do. But I'll tell ya what! They sure do need to concentrate some of that effort right here at home.

I've been looking for a new Reds hat literally for months.... nothing fancy, just the normal hat... red or black, I don't care.

I don't want to pay $25 so I'm looking at Meijer, K-Mart, Target, etc. And folks, you can't find them... the miniscule selection of ANY Reds gear without going into a sporting goods store is absolutely ridiculous. It makes me angry every single time and my daughter is sick of my continuing tirade every time I strike out looking for this hat. She was very disgusted with me over it just yesterday.

I swear, walking around in the local stores you'd never even know there was a major league team in town. And truthfully? Yes, it does disgust me.

Why there isn't more/any merchandise available around town at the local retailers certainly isn't very effective marketing, especially when the team is doing well. If I'm having a hard time finding it, except at specialty stores, than others must be too.

Meijer sells Reds tickets for Pete's sake! But try finding a cap. They seem to have plenty of OU, X, UK, Bearcats, and Bengals.

One more pet peeve is that you also can not find any Reds gear at Christmas time, apparently because it's a summer sport. It's Christmas people; get smart!
    There are a million places online to buy a Reds cap for less than 25 bucks.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69
    The Reds are also being shown in some parts of North Carolina as well. My parents live in the same county that Todd Coffey is from and they have been on there when the Braves aren't being shown on FSN South.

Definitely, good news. I can now follow the Reds when I visit my folks.
    Same here in Charlotte on FSN South. The great thing is that the Reds are still considered a home team in the Charlotte area,(goes back to the 70's) so I get all the Reds games with the FOX Sports package(FSN Cincinnati channel 638) on DirecTV. Saved me a lot of money since I don't have to buy the MLB Extra Innings package like I did when I lived in Virginia.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?