Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Snopes.com on baseball

Snopes.com on baseball

Snopes.com is a pretty neat site that investigates the validity of commonly believed stories. The baseball section exposes some urban legends that you might find interesting. In fact, the whole site is pretty interesting. Be sure to read the key explaining the colored balls and to click on the underlined words on each story to read the complete story.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/baseball.asp

Be sure to read the Charlie Dressen story.
    Last edited by Spitball; 06-24-2006 at 04:18 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Snopes.com on baseball

I'm not sure why they gave the Dock Ellis story a "true" and the Kevin Mitchell story an "undetermined."

In both cases, you are trusting someone's word but there's no clear proof.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Re: Snopes.com on baseball

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I'm not sure why they gave the Dock Ellis story a "true" and the Kevin Mitchell story an "undetermined."

In both cases, you are trusting someone's word but there's no clear proof.
    I think they address the reasons. There is actually quite a bit more printed about why there are questions about the Mitchell story, including Gooden's own uncertainty and even denial, but I won't print it all.

They say Ellis's story is not truly a certainty, but no one refutes its truth.

Mitchell's story:

With nothing more to go by, it's a toss-up for us to determine whether this is a true story or not. By Gooden's account there were a couple of witnesses to the alleged incident (Gooden's friend, Meade Chassky, and Mitchell's unnamed girlfriend), but we haven't found any evidence that either of them has ever discussed the matter publicly. Dwight Gooden might have told the truth, he might have made the whole story up, he might have related a greatly embellished version of something that did take place, or he might even have heard about the incident (true or otherwise) from a third party and retold it in the first person as if he had actually been there. All in all, it adds up to a "We don't know" for now.

Ellis's:
    At this juncture we must point out that our assignment of a "True" status to this story is a guarded one: only Dock Ellis knows whether or not he actually took LSD the day he pitched his no-hitter, and therefore we have to take him at his word. Even if Ellis did ingest LSD that day, however, judging the extent to which the drug was affecting him by the time he took part in that evening's game is problematic.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?