Name: Logan Parker
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 220 lbs.
    Drafted: 2006 round 12 (Overall pick #354) from University of Cincinnati
    Position: 1B
    Bats: L
    Throws: L
    Team: Billings Mustangs

This is his profile from scout.com: http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=262&p=8&c=1&nid=2605671

Parker came to the University of Cincinnati from New Mexico Junior College where he hit .425 with 17 doubles, eight triples, 15 home runs and 84 RBI in 51 games. Before New Mexico JC he attended Western Texas College as a freshman. Summer 2005: Played for the McKinney Marshals of the Texas Collegiate League. 2005: Starter in all 55 games at first base in first season at UC ... led team in hits (72), doubles (20), homers (11) and RBI (53) ... ranked third with a .313 batting average ... posted team-highs of 22 multi-hit games and 14 multi-RBI games ... earned Conference USA Hitter of the Week honors on May 16 after hitting .619 in five games ... drove in seven runs, missing cycle by only a single vs. TCU ... homered twice and drove in four runs in win over Memphis ... had two doubles and a homer in four-hit day vs. Toledo ... ranked among C-USA leaders in doubles, homers, slugging percentage and total bases .. intergral part of defense that led Conference USA with 69 double plays during regular season ... Bearcat Scholar. Drafted by Cincinnati Reds in 12th round of 2006 draft.
    On this page you can find a link to several interviews Lance McAllister did one of those is with Logan Parker: http://www.lance1360homer.com/index.asp?page=podcasts

Parker is off to a great start in his first week with Billings. Here are his stats so far. I will keep this page updated with stat updates and any stories I can find on Parker.

Current Stats with Billings:

Code:
    G  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS  OBP  SLG  AVG 
    64 225 42 73 11 3 9  49 117 40 46 2  1  .422 .520 .324
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 09-05-2006 at 01:58 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect Profile: Logan Parker

Update on Logan Parker. He has cooled off from his amazing start going 2 for 14 in his last 4 games. Still very good stats in his first 9 games with Billings. I have updated his stats in the 1st post.

Logan missed 3 games last week with a minor hamstring injury. He came back with a pinch hit on Saturday and he started last night and went 2 for 6 with an RBI. I have updated his stats in the first post.

any chance we could see Logan in Dayton this year?
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Logan went 3 for 4 with 2 RBIs, a double and a stolen base in Billings win yesterday. I have updated his stats in the first post.
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 07-05-2006 at 09:17 AM.

Yay!

From the 7/6 Enquirer:
    Major persistence pays off
    Once homesick, Parker guts it out at UC, makes it to pros
    BY BILL KOCH | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    About a month into his first year at the University of Cincinnati, Logan Parker walked into baseball coach Brian Cleary's office and asked him what he had to do to secure his release so he could go back home to Odessa, Texas.

Cincinnati wasn't for him. He missed his girlfriend, his family, his friends and the small-town atmosphere of Odessa, made famous in "Friday Night Lights," the book and movie about Texas high school football.

Cleary, who had recruited Parker out of New Mexico Junior College, tried to reason with him. If Parker intended to play professionally, he was going to have to get used to being away from home, he told him, so he might as well begin making that adjustment in Cincinnati.

Parker listened.

And Parker talked to his grandfather, who told him the same thing.

"He basically told me to be a man of my word," Parker said, "and stand up to it even though I was going through rough times."

"He told me some of his war stories, about how homesick he was during World War II in Germany, only he had no options," Parker added.

That was good enough for Parker, who decided to persevere at UC. Two years later, he is glad he did.

After a senior season in which he batted .344 with 11 home runs and 69 RBI in 58 games playing first base for UC, Parker was drafted in the 12th round by the Reds and dispatched to their Billings, Mont., Rookie League team.

At Billings, he has picked up where he left off at UC. His three hits Tuesday night against the Missoula Osprey made him the Pioneer League's leading hitter with a .432 average. He had an on-base percentage of .545 with one home run and nine RBI in 13 games.

"If he was a second- or third-round pick, it wouldn't have surprised me," Billings manager Rick Burleson told the Billings Gazette. "I think he's that good. But the fact that we got him as late as the 12th round is a good bargain."

A lot of college players struggle in their early days in professional baseball because of the adjustment from using aluminum bats. But that hasn't hindered Parker, who, at 6 feet 3, 220 pounds, has compensated with his strength.

"Using wood bats last year in the Texas Collegiate League really prepared me for this," Parker said Wednesday. "A wood bat doesn't feel much different for me than the aluminum."

Parker, who admittedly wasn't nearly as good a player as he is now, was not recruited out of high school. He began to blossom at New Mexico Junior College, where he hit .425 and drove in 84 runs in 51 games.

Cleary recruited Parker on the recommendation of a coaching friend who worked in the Southeastern Conference. Parker hit .313 as junior with the Bearcats, then took off as a senior thanks to an adjustment in his batting stance recommended by UC associate head coach Brad Meador.

"I was striding all over the place," Parker said. "I was too anxious in the box. Coming back this year, Coach Meador and I got to use the video cameras, to see what looked best. He's the reason I'm where I am today.

"I was crouched down really far. I got back to standing up and spreading out a little bit. I had to work on getting my foot down early, picking my foot up and putting it right back down instead of trying to stride too much."

Without the long stride, Parker had more time to commit to the pitch. That made him more selective at the plate.

"His junior year, he would swing at anything that was white and round and coming toward the plate," Cleary said. "His senior year, he was happy to take a walk. He was a lot more disciplined at the plate."

The last UC baseball product to make a big splash professionally was Kevin Youkilis, who was drafted in the eighth round by Boston in 2001 and is hitting .307 as the Reds Sox starting first baseman.

"If you just look at physical ability, you might put Parker ahead of Youkilis," Cleary said. "But Youkilis had a ridiculous, intense, competitive drive. He had a chip on his shoulder. He had been told so many times he wasn't good enough, and he proved everybody wrong every step of the way."

Parker, who learned to enjoy Cincinnati and now calls it his second hometown, needs three more courses to earn his UC degree in criminal justice. He hopes to complete those this fall.

By then, if he keeps hitting the way he has been, he might have been promoted to Single-A Dayton in the Midwest League.

In the meantime, he likes Billings - and pro baseball - just fine.

"It's almost identical to Odessa," he said, "except for the fact that I look up and see mountains everywhere. I like it a lot. When we got our first paycheck the other day, it was really exciting."

E-mail bkoch@enquirer.com
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Parker went 2 for 5 and got his 10th RBI in 15 games in the Billings loss last night. I have updated his stats in the first post.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I know it's still early in his career, but I love the 11BBs vs. 7Ks.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

His season last year at UC represented that as well. 54 bb vs. 31 k's

Logan went 1 for 3 with his 2nd HR of the year in the Billings win last night. I have updated his stats for the year in the first post.

Parker went 3 for 4 with his 3rd HR of the year in the Billings win last night. Updated stats in the first post.

Looks like he will be back in the tristate next year at Dayton. Way to smack those balls Logan!

I have not updated this in a while but Parker went 2 for 3 yesterday. He now has an OPS of .944 with a .324 BA. I have updated his stats for the year in the first post.

I am updating my profile for Logan for the first time this year. This year in Dayton started out slow and after the first few months Logan Parker was batting in the .220s range. But Parker has been on fire since June. Over the last 10 games he is batting .485 with 3 home runs and 12 RBIs. Last night in one inning he hit 2 home runs with 6 RBIs.

In June he started to turn his season around batting .309 with an OPS of .866.

In July so far he has batted .450 with an OPS of 1.322 with 3 home runs and 13 RBIs.

Here are his stats for the year:

Code:
    Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS 
    DAY MID .288 73 250 30 72 12 3 4 34 102 37 59 8 1 .376 .408 .784

He went to the opposite field for both of his HRs in the 4th inning last night. The first one was a little left of center, while the second was to dead left. The 2nd HR looked like he barely swung, just a little flick of the bat.

Turn Off Ads?