Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the playoffs enough??

Is the playoffs enough??

After watching interleague play and the Reds favorable results against some of the top teams in the NL (Mets, Cards) I'm convinced that it won't take much (couple solid relievers) to make the playoffs in the current NL landscape. With the NL West teams beating up on each other it should make the wildcard within our reach if the Cards get hot. But, my question is, should we be happy with making the playoffs in a down year for the NL or should we aim higher? I'd love to have something to be excited about in October but we're a long way from being a World Series contender. In fact, it seems to be a reach to imagine any NL team beating the White Sox, Tigers, Red Sox, or Yankees, the AL certainly seems to be far superior. So, do we aim for the wild card or hope Krivsky makes some major trades (which would probably mean Homer) to put us in serious contention?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is the playoffs enough??

The goal should always be to win the World Series as soon as possible.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    The goal should be to improve the team consistently, year-round. Championships will take care of themselves.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'm not trading Homer unless I get a very good starter, or a shut down close. I would be more willing to talk about Dunn and Lopez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    The goal should be to improve the team consistently, year-round. Championships will take care of themselves.
    How often do they?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Absolutely. The playoffs is enought to feel like this was a good year but you don't trade away anything that can help you win a World Series as soon as possible. Of course having experience in a pennant race would be good experience for the young players on this team.

So I wouldn't trade Homer or Bruce but I'd trade middle tier prospects because it would be useful for our players to get experience in a pennant race. Only a few of our players have it.

At this point, I'd be thrilled if the Reds make the playoffs this year. I believe it's definitely possible. We might be able to win the first series, but anything beyond that is doubtful. I believe every year the goal should be to win the world series, but I also believe playoff experiece, good or bad, would help this team dramatically for the next few years. Getting that taste of playoff atmosphere might drive a few players, *cough, dunn, cough* , to maybe work a littler harder in the offseason.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Took the words right out of my mouth.....well said.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    How often do they?
    I'm not sure what this question means.

But championships do take care of themselves, if that's what you're asking about. Gearing up to "win a World Championship" in any particular year is kind of silly. Keep an eye on improvement and things fall in line; pushes for particular parts can be made at midseason if things are lacking.

But to the original question: playoffs should absolutely be enough if they make it there this season.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

saboforthird

I'm not sure what this question means.

But championships do take care of themselves, if that's what you're asking about. Gearing up to "win a World Championship" in any particular year is kind of silly. Keep an eye on improvement and things fall in line; pushes for particular parts can be made at midseason if things are lacking.

But to the original question: playoffs should absolutely be enough if they make it there this season.
    I wasn't sure what your statement meant, either. Thanks for clarifying, though. Having said that, even if every organization in MLB was running all cylinders, making all the best trades (impossible), chances are still not real good that any of those organizations is going to win a world series, let alone make the playoffs. I *might* buy your statement if you said "good winning percentages will take care of themselves", but in the above-given scenario, that's not likely, either (if win percentages mean anything).

If championships took care of themselves, the 1999 Reds team would have been somewhere besides in a 1 game playoff to be in the playoffs. They weren't because they couldn't make a timely big play, hit, or pitch in Houston or Milwaukee the last week of the season. So their 95 or 96 wins basically got them zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio
    If championships took care of themselves, the 1999 Reds team would have been somewhere besides in a 1 game playoff to be in the playoffs. They weren't because they couldn't make a timely big play, hit, or pitch in Houston or Milwaukee the last week of the season. So their 95 or 96 wins basically got them zilch.
    I think you're taking my point and making it say something it's not saying. Championships DO take care of themselves, but there is no "planning" to win a world championship. As long you continue to improve the product on the MLB field, championships will occur; when you become complacent or paralyzed, that's when they stop occurring.

Does a team always need a little luck to win a championship? Sure. And improving your team midseason helps a bunch in most championship runs, but building a championship team is a process, not a product. You don't just load up for bear in the offseason and call it quits, saying you've a championship team, you improve the team in big and little ways at all times.

I don't agree with this. I think it should always be the PLAYERS' goal to win a World Series as soon as possible; that they should play every game with the greatest prize in mind. The front office has different things to consider. There are ramifications financially and in terms of team morale and makeup that they need to consider in building a team. They need to do this with a championship in mind, always, but every single decision can't be made for only that reason. Then you end up with the Yankees' current team, which should be evidence enough that that kind of mentality won't necessarily get you a championship anyway. There are big black holes on the Reds' roster right now, and to fix them at this very moment would probably require us to give up things I'm not willing to do, for a return that would be strictly temporary and put us in the same -- or even lesser -- boat not too far down the line.

Put it this way: Roger Clemens or Randy Johnson stand a much better chance at winning a World Series game this year than Homer Bailey. But who do I want on my team? To bring in a hired gun to win a championship wouldn't even feel like it was the Reds winning anyway. And I wouldn't throw Bailey on a WS stage right now even if he were physically ready, I don't think. That could ruin forever our greatest chance to have an excellent, cheap pitcher long-term.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Does a team always need a little luck to win a championship? Sure. And improving your team midseason helps a bunch in most championship runs, but building a championship team is a process, not a product.
    "Luck is the residue of design." ~ Branch Rickey
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

You don't chose the year. The year choses you.

We have to be realistic. Steady movement towards being in contention, with the willingness to make a deal to put us in the playoffs if the stars appear to have aligned.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?