Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Hoops Tourney to 128 Teams?

Yay!

NCAA Hoops Tourney to 128 Teams?

Bad idea???

NCAA considers expanding men’s basketball tournament to 128 teams
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Sunday, June 25, 2006
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — In a perfect world, college basketball coaches would nearly double the size of the 65-team NCAA men's tournament field. Realistically, they'd accept a smaller victory.

Motivated in part by George Mason's remarkable Final Four run last season, coaches will urge the NCAA to expand its most lucrative championship event during the men's and women's basketball committee meetings in Orlando, Fla., this week.

“They'd love to see the tournament double to 128,” said Jim Haney, executive director of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. “It's based on several things. First, there are a lot of good teams worthy of making the NCAA field, and second, the size of 64 or 65 has been in place for a number of years.”

Potential models range from minor adjustments to major changes.

When Haney met with NCAA officials last month, he proposed the 128-team field in part because postseason bids may help coaches keep their jobs.

At this year's Final Four, though, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said he supported expansion on a smaller scale. Boeheim and others suggested adding three to seven teams, a move they claimed would allow as many as four opening-round games to be played in Dayton, Ohio, instead of the one now played between the two lowest-seeded teams in the field.

Some believe such a schedule would create a more realistic tournament environment since first-round sites also play four games on the first day.

But changes don't appear imminent.

In March, NCAA president Myles Brand said he didn't see much support to expand the field and vice president for men's basketball Greg Shaheen reiterated that point Friday.

“Many, many people believe the size of the championship is just right,” Shaheen said. “A lot of people think there's enough recognition of teams that did well and there's a logical and timely conclusion to the season.”

Shaheen said this week's discussions, which end Thursday, will mark the first time expansion has been on the agenda in several years. The reason?

After a four-year legal battle with the National Invitation Tournament, the NCAA agreed to buy the tournament for $56.5 million last August.

Expansion also faces additional hurdles.

If the NCAA opted for a 128-team field, the number of first-round sites would double and an extra week of play would likely be added. Plus, Shaheen said the NCAA would have to debate how best to provide maximum television coverage.

Shaheen said changes would also have to be made in conjunction with the women's tournament.

“There is no one model that is obvious here, and that's something we need to contemplate,” he said. “The other issue is how the women's tournament would be similarly impacted here and they need to coincide.”

The coaches, however, contend there are many reasons to expand. Among their arguments:

-- The number of Division I teams has increased significantly since the last major expansion more than two decades ago. The field went from 48 to 64 teams in 1985, then added a 65th team to the field in 2001 when the number of automatic bids went from 30 to 31.

-- George Mason, which was one of the last at-large teams to make the field this year, proved parity in college basketball is real. The combination of prominent programs losing underclassmen at faster rates and scholarship reductions have helped mid-major schools become more competitive. The coaches believe they deserved to be rewarded accordingly.

-- Now that the NCAA controls both postseason tournaments, coaches think it's time to include some of the bubble teams that annually complain when they are left out.

Could it happen?

“I don't think the idea of doubling the field is going to happen right now because there are too many complications to do that,” Haney said. “But I think the committee will seriously consider what the number will be. … I think if it happens, it will have to happen soon because of the logistical issues.”
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NCAA Hoops Tourney to 128 Teams?

Bad idea. It's fine as is, we don't need it to end up like college bowls where marginal teams get in.

George Mason's run last season isn't enough reason to screw with a system that works. They got lucky 1 year, good for them, but don't ruin the tourney because of it.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

An extra weekend of games?
    Go Gators!

I'd be for it. Why not? Sounds like fun.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

A great idea IMO. Wonder if they would keep the 4 brackets and have #1 vs. #32, or have 8 brackets and keep #1 vs. #16
    "You may run like Mays but you hit like ****" - Lou Brown

I don't think they will expand it to 128 at this point. I actually think the tournament is a perfect size right now. At most I think you may see a few extra teams. Instead of being one play in game in Dayton you could see up to 4 play in games that would determine each of the 16 seeds. That is a more likely change at this point then going to 128 teams.

I saw no reason to expand it beyond 64. There's always going to be four or five or so teams unhappy, regardless of where the line is drawn, so why not keep it all nice and symetrical at 64? If there's 72 teams invited, then teams 73, 74, 75, and 76 are going to be mad and feel slighted. If there are 128 teams invited, then teams 129, 130, 131, 132, and 133 are going to be mad and feel slighted.

If they have any interest in crowning a true champion, they'd go with less teams and make the tournament double-elimination. On the other hand, if they wanted to do it the silliest way possible, they'd do what college football does and let a computer decide the two teams to play the championship and have the other 62 teams play meaningless exhibition games. :

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

If they expand it enough, perhaps there will be a chance of seeing the Edison State Community College Cavliers in there.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Bad idea. It's fine as is, we don't need it to end up like college bowls where marginal teams get in.

George Mason's run last season isn't enough reason to screw with a system that works. They got lucky 1 year, good for them, but don't ruin the tourney because of it.
    You also don't want it to end up like college bowl games where just showing up to play in a power conference is often all you need to make a postseason appearence while good, competitive confrences struggle to make the dance.

I'd be in favor of capping tournament eligibility for conferences and/or making having a winning record in conference play (OR winning the confrence tournament) a requirement for making the NCAA tournament.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

While this might help the so called "mid major" conference schools out, I think it would devalue the regular season.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    While this might help the so called "mid major" conference schools out, I think it would devalue the regular season.
    Yes, and I think the regular season is already devalued enough. As (somewhat of a) UK fan, I really don't pay much attention to them during the regular season, because they go through four months of basketball just to determine a seeding for a tournament. The games really don't matter much to many programs until the NCAA tournament starts. It wasn't that way when the tournament was 32 teams, and only conference winners (and four or five at-large teams) got to go. A regular season loss could be devastating. I'm not saying they should go below 64 teams by any means, but it certainly should never have been above 64. That play-in game to get it to 65 is just plain silly.

128 is a horrible idea. Why not water down the accomplishment of making the tournament even further and invite 256? There's nothing wrong with what they've got, don't fix what isn't broken.

Bad idea. Way too many mediocre to bad teams will be in the tourney then. The coaches of the big schools love this idea because they know all they will have to do is go 15-15 and make the tourney. Do you want to see a 15-15 Ole Miss team playing a 34-1 UCLA team in the 1st round? I don't.(Unless you are UCLA fan)
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Yay!

The only good thing about this is that my alma mater would have made the tourney about 15 straight years. (They've made it 5 of those 15.)

There would still be people complaining and moaning about not making the "Field of 128" (even sounds goofy).

The fact is, all teams are eligible to make the NCAA... just win your conference tourney!!! If it will make them feel better, I'm sure the NCAA would take over the "one-bid" conference tourneys and call them the NCAA tournament... so long as they could make a bunch of dough off of it.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    The fact is, all teams are eligible to make the NCAA... just win your conference tourney!!! If it will make them feel better, I'm sure the NCAA would take over the "one-bid" conference tourneys and call them the NCAA tournament... so long as they could make a bunch of dough off of it.
    Excellent point. The NCAA tournament is six rounds, and if their conference tournament is four rounds, then they can consider themselves invitees to a ten-round championship tournament! Win all ten and you are the NCAA Champions!

Turn Off Ads?