Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Profile: David "Homer" Bailey

Re: Prospect Profile: David "Homer" Bailey

I dunno about Bailey. I have read a couple articles today about his Futures Game outing and read what Jayhawk Owens had to say about Homer's seemingly reluctance to even throw offspeed pitches.

If I'm reading the articles right, Owens has told Bailey to use his offspeed stuff and Bailey has not done it. And reading some of Bailey's comments lead me to believe that he thinks - based on his early AA success - that fastballs are the way to go. Does this sound like an attitude problem to anyone else?
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mike, I think you are taking to much out of all of it.

Bailey is in AA right now, and both he and his coach know he needs more off-speed work. They will work on it, they have another half of a season to do so.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    I dunno about Bailey. I have read a couple articles today about his Futures Game outing and read what Jayhawk Owens had to say about Homer's seemingly reluctance to even throw offspeed pitches.

If I'm reading the articles right, Owens has told Bailey to use his offspeed stuff and Bailey has not done it. And reading some of Bailey's comments lead me to believe that he thinks - based on his early AA success - that fastballs are the way to go. Does this sound like an attitude problem to anyone else?
    I was actually thinking something similar when I read this quote:
    "They've kind of been on me a little about mixing up my pitches," Bailey said of club officials. "I'll show anybody my off-speed pitches. That's fine. It's my weaker point because my fastball is good, and it always will be that way."
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...607100375/1071
    Not that he has an attitude problem, but that he's just naive if he truly believes he'll 'always' have that fastball. It doesn't sound like he's too concerned about learning the 'art' of pitching, he sounds like he just wants to rear back and blow it past everyone. That's great while he's still young, but doesn't bode well for his long term success. Hopefully, he'll pick up enough from the veterans to help him when his fastball fades. Of course, he could be like fellow Texan Nolan Ryan and keep his heater cranking throughout his career.
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 07-11-2006 at 11:23 PM.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

I think what Bailey was saying was his fastball is always going to be his #1 pitch. I dont care how good his curve gets, if he is throwing a 98 MPH fastball that tails like his does, its going to be his best pitch. Jayhawk Owens has said several different times he wants him to throw more offspeed stuff, being that he has him for another half season, I bet you that he starts pounding it into his head.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...pbp&pid=456701
    Homer Bailey: Individual Stats (Batting)
    Team From To G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
    Chattanooga Lookouts 06/19 07/21 4 7 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 5 0 0 .222 .000 .000

Bookmark Player

Homer Bailey: Individual Stats (Pitching)
    Team From To W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO
    Sarasota Reds 04/06 06/19 3 5 3.31 13 13 0 0 0 70.2 49 35 26 6 22 79
    Chattanooga Lookouts 06/19 07/21 4 0 0.88 5 5 0 0 0 30.2 17 3 3 0 6 31

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_89644.asp
    Jacksonville Jolts Chattanooga in 13 Innings, 3-2
    Homer Bailey Pitches Well Again In No-Decision Game
    by Tim Evearitt
    posted July 21, 2006

Photo by Rich Cannon (file photo)
    Anderson Machado knocked in both of Chattanooga's runs Friday.

Click to enlarge photo.
    The Chattanooga Lookouts lost a tough one to the Jacksonville Suns in 13 innings, 3-2.

Jim Abbott, pitching in the bottom of the 13th, gave up three walks. With the bases full and one-out, Tony Abreu hit a ball to Abbott that the pitcher was unable to field allowing the winning run to score. Abreu’s ball was ruled a hit.

The game was billed as a pitcher’s duel and the billing was correct. Homer Bailey (4-0) and Spike Lundberg (8-1) pitched masterfully but neither was around at the end of the game.

Bailey took a one-hitter into the seventh inning but gave up a lead-off base hit to Abreu. The 20-year old right hander then fanned the next two Suns’ hitters before hitting Nick Alvarez. Sergio Garcia singled to drive in Abreu from second base with the tying run. Brock Till came in from the bullpen to get the final out.

Bailey finished the night going 6 2/3 innings giving up three hits and a run, walking two and striking out six.

Jacksonville’s Lundberg threw six scoreless innings. He walked one batter but struck out six hitters.

Chattanooga trailed Jacksonville, 1-0, heading into the ninth inning when Machado smashed a two-out solo home run to tie the score. The Suns failed to score in the bottom of the ninth sending the game to extra innings.

In the top of the 11th inning, Machado came through again. After Rick Asadoorian doubled, he came home on the shortstop's line drive single to right.

The Lookouts could not hold the lead as Jacksonville tied the game in the bottom of the 11th, helped by an errant throw by pitcher Carlos Guevara attempting to pick a base runner off first base.

After two more innings, the Suns pushed across the winning run.

Chattanooga and Jacksonville play the final game of their series Saturday night.

The Lookouts are off Sunday and open at home against West Tennessee Monday night.

Damn, that Machado guy must be good.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Bailey update: Top pitching prospect Homer Bailey had his first "normal" performance for Double-A Chattanooga on Tuesday. Bailey allowed three earned runs, eight hits and walked two over five innings. The right-hander, who struck out four, did not figure in the 9-8 losing decision to Huntsville.

In seven starts since his promotion to Chattanooga, Bailey is still 4-0 with a 1.30 ERA.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...pbp&pid=456701
    Homer Bailey: Individual Stats (Batting)
    Team From To G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
    Chattanooga Lookouts 06/19 08/10 7 13 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 2 8 0 0 .200 .077 .077

Bookmark Player

Homer Bailey: Individual Stats (Pitching)
    Team From To W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO
    Sarasota Reds 04/06 06/19 3 5 3.31 13 13 0 0 0 70.2 49 35 26 6 22 79
    Chattanooga Lookouts 06/19 08/10 4 0 1.14 8 8 0 0 0 47.1 31 7 6 1 15 48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UPqCm3wh5I

Bullpen session video of Homer! He throws three pitches watch the last one.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Ode to Homer

Montgomery's look at one of baseball's top pitching prospects had Biscuits manager Charlie Montoyo making comparisons.

He said Chattanooga's Homer Bailey ranked second among those he's seen this year. Only West Tenn's Carlos Marmol was more impressive -- and Marmol has since reached the major leagues.

"Give our guys credit for having the lead when that guy (Bailey) left," Montoyo said.

Bailey allowed six hits, walked three and struck out six. The Biscuits led 2-1 when Bailey left in the fifth. The right-hander, who is 5-0 with a 1.26 ERA, needs work on his off-speed pitches, manager Jayhawk Owens said.

Bailey's fastball hit 96 mph on the Riverwalk Stadium radar gun, which is usually 2-3 mph slow.

"If it was up to Homer, he'd throw 90 percent fastballs," Owens said. "We have to emphasize strongly to him that off-speed is where his development is.

"He's done a terrific job, but Homer Bailey is one of the strongest competitors I've ever been around. He wants to win, period."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...608200332/1002
    I miss Adam Dunn.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Bailey watch: Top pitching prospect Homer Bailey threw 68 pitches and worked five scoreless innings in Double-A Chattanooga's 10-0 win over Birmingham on Wednesday.

Narron smiled wide but had no reply when a reporter asked him about Bailey, nor did he comment on the notion of his getting promoted to the Majors this season.

"Wayne [Krivsky] won't even let me talk about it," Narron said laughing. "That's why I haven't commented."

Bailey, who allowed four hits and three walks while striking out four, has had his outings shortened as he nears a season threshold of 150-170 innings limit set by the Reds. The 20-year-old is at 132 2/3 innings this season and is expected to be able to pitch for the Lookouts in the playoffs.

According to Reds player development director Johnny Almarez, Bailey has heeded organizational goals of using his changeup and curveball more often.

"We've tried to make him a complete pitcher and command three pitches," Almaraz said from Cincinnati. "He's had great aptitude. We're unleashing him and letting him show us what the next thing for him is."

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Bailey, who allowed four hits and three walks while striking out four, has had his outings shortened as he nears a season threshold of 150-170 innings limit set by the Reds. The 20-year-old is at 132 2/3 innings this season and is expected to be able to pitch for the Lookouts in the playoffs.
    Looks like the plan is coming into focus -- keep the outings light so he can pitch the SL playoffs (which would be one, maybe two starts) without getting into unreasonable-workload territory. A five-inning, 68-pitch start was just what he needed.

It also sounds like they're getting on him about using more off-speed stuff, which is probably where the recent uptick in walks is coming from.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Looks like the plan is coming into focus -- keep the outings light so he can pitch the SL playoffs (which would be one, maybe two starts) without getting into unreasonable-workload territory. A five-inning, 68-pitch start was just what he needed.

It also sounds like they're getting on him about using more off-speed stuff, which is probably where the recent uptick in walks is coming from.
    Very good point. He has been working on a 95 pitch pitch count all year. He probably could have gone 7 innings, but they kept him at 5 to keep the load light on his arm and try to keep it fresh.

if Dan O'Brien had an inning threshold plan on Bailey he would just be shutdown. i really like how Krivsky has handled Bailey. i think it's the single best thing he's done so far. i also believe pitching in the Southern League playoffs will help Bailey's mental development as a player.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?