Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Narron: 3 Catchers OK

Narron: 3 Catchers OK

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html

REDS NOTES

Three catchers on roster no problem for Narron
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

CLEVELAND | Jerry Narron was absorbed in a stapled booklet of statistics, his half-glasses in place, his head down, when writers walked into his office Sunday morning.

"Checking out the statistics?" he was asked.

"You noticed that, huh?" Narron said.

What Narron was doing was comparing plate appearances for his three catchers, and what he discovered astounded even him: David Ross 113, Jason LaRue 112, Javier Valentin 111.

"We have three catchers and everybody makes a big deal out of us having three catchers," Narron said. "At some point, you watch, something is going to happen and one catcher is going to have to catch 18 out of 20 games. That will happen."

Narron switched up his catching assignments Sunday, playing Ross instead of Javier Valentin, usually the catcher when fellow Latino Elizardo Ramirez pitches.

"The reason is that there is a left-hander on the mound (Jeremy Sowers), and with Valentin I want to get the best offensive matchup possible," said Narron. "I'm comfortable with all three guys behind the plate, no matter who they catch. Ross has been good against left-handers."

Ross is hitting .414 against left-handers to Valentin's .063 and LaRue's .138. On Sunday, tough, Ross struck out his first three times.

"One of things I've really liked about Javier is the way he has been able to calm down E-Z real quick when he gets in trouble and to keep him focused," said Narron. "But all three guys can do the same thing."

A 10-year deal?

Not only will FSN Ohio televise 145 of the 162 games played by the Reds next season, Fox and the Reds are close to agreement on a 10-year agreement.

Fox is anxious to make the deal, and the Reds are just as anxious to consummate the marriage. Fox lost the Cleveland Indians and dearly wants to keep the Reds. A 10-year deal for the Reds with money up front will give owner Bob Castellini some extra cash to plow into the team.

It is Castellini who wants 145 games on TV a year and is willing to do the 10-year deal if Fox will televise that many games.

TV's good news

Reds manager Jerry Narron broke into a smile when asked if he had watched the St. Louis Cardinals lose to the Detroit Tigers in 10 innings Friday night.

"Yes, sir, I did. And I saw Houston lose to the Chicago White Sox in 10 innings, too. Real nice. Those teams are finding out what we found out, the Tigers and White Sox are pretty good teams," he said.

He sits and waits

Cleveland first baseman Eduardo Perez, with the Reds for three seasons (1996-98), was spotted taking ground balls at first base with a fielder's glove.

Why not a first baseman's mitt?

"I never take infield with a first baseman's glove," he said. "You get lazy if you use that big glove. I never know when I'll be playing another position. Not too long ago I played four straight games in the outfield — and I felt it for a while, but I had two assists."

Being a right-handed platoon player for an American League team puts Perez is a work-shortage situation. With the Tribe, he platoons at first base with another former Red, Ben Broussard. With fewer left-handed starting pitchers, Perez plays fewer games.

"I haven't played in six days, and I've looked at the schedule of probable pitchers and I won't play for another week," he said. And with the designated hitter, AL teams don't use pinch-hitters that often.

"It's a tough, lonely job, but somebody has to do it," said Perez, who didn't appear in any of the three games against the Reds.

Short hops

•Disabled pitcher Matt Belisle made his fifth rehab appearance Saturday and still hasn't given up a run — one inning, one hit, one strikeout, 11 pitches for Class AAA Louisville. He is expected to join the Reds for the opening of a three-game interleague series Tuesday against Kansas City in Great American Ball Park.

•Scott Hatteberg was thrown out at second base Sunday on a hit-and-run on which Juan Castro swung and missed, but it still counted as a caught stealing, ending the Reds' streak of 14 straight wtihout getting caught.

•There were 33,139 in Jacobs Field on Sunday and the three-game series drew 99,138, largest series of the season for the Indians.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Narron: 3 Catchers OK

That would be a great TV deal for the Reds,IMO. To get a guaranteed 145 games a year for ten years is right up my alley. I hope they add more games after the All Star Break this season. Especially in September.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Ross is hitting .414 against left-handers to Valentin's .063 and LaRue's .138. On Sunday, tough, Ross struck out his first three times."One of things I've really liked about Javier is the way he has been able to calm down E-Z real quick when he gets in trouble and to keep him focused," said Narron. "But all three guys can do the same thing."
    I know Narron was refering to caliming down the Lizzard when he made the comment that "all three guys can do the same thing" but in the big picture of offense, defence, etc I don't think that comment makes much sense. All three have strengths and all three have weaknesses. If they were all interchangeable, then why have three?

I've gone back and forth and up and down over having three. At the end of the day it's not really a bad thing, per se, but I just don't like it. Is it robbing the team and bringing us down? No, not even close. But I do think it makes it much harder for the guys who aren't hot to get hot. So when Ross comes back to earth that means LaRue and Javi are supposed to heat up.....yet they are getting very limited playing time to get a grove going. So they'll suddenly get a bunch of playing time and instantly produce? Dosesn't seem to make much sense to me.

There are much bigger fish to fry (ie pitching) but someday the 3 catcher situation will need to be adressed. I'm sure a trade or two will take care of it at some point in the near future.

Ten more years with FSN...Does that mean we get George until he is ready to ride off into the sunset and call it a career?

That could be the stipulation holding Castellini up,fox buying out George Grande's
    contract.

Gary Redus Ruled

Hey Narron three catchers IS ok..unless one of them is named Larue. Krivsky has to trade this guy for a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Ten more years with FSN...Does that mean we get George until he is ready to ride off into the sunset and call it a career?

you make krono sad
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Redus
    Hey Narron three catchers IS ok..unless one of them is named Larue. Krivsky has to trade this guy for a reliever.
    I wish we could get a taker for that!!!!

It just seems like having 3 catchers makes as little sense as having three starting 2b's or 4 starting outfielders. While not a huge drain, it's the constant shuffling and fighting for playing time. Then a player gets hot (which is good) and the other two rot away. It's a little easier in the infield because Freel and RA can play many positions. The three catchers are just that...three catchers. I like Javi but I don't think he's a good option at 1B.

Throw in LaRue's sallary and it's a much bigger problem. If all three made around the same amount you might be able to justify it since Javi can be considered a PH and an emergancy 1B. But it's hard to make sense of a $4m back up catcher.

Well, it's a dead horse, but hopefully a trade will be put together soon.

Turn Off Ads?