Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistically, how much longer can Barry carry on?

Realistically, how much longer can Barry carry on?

He barely made it around the basepaths last night, left the game with left knee soreness. His body is breaking down before our eyes. I haven't watched much Giant baseball, but he's gotta be laboring badly out there in LF.

I heard some pundits predict his retirement before this season finishes.

I wonder how long he will keep going.

If he did leave the Giants, would an AL team be willing to take on Barry's baggage? Barry 2-3 years ago, no question they would, in my mind, but the Barry of 2006? I'm not so sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Realistically, how much longer can Barry carry on?

If Barry's willing to soldier on, my guess is there will always be a team interested in taking him. He's an attraction by himself, and if he thinks that he has a shot at catching Aaron, some team would be willing to pay him to do it in their uniform.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Apparently his agent has made overures to the Mariners that he'd like to play for them next year.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Apparently his agent has made overures to the Mariners that he'd like to play for them next year.
    Seattle: possibly the only MLB city with fans less suited to Barry Bonds than San Francisco. theoretically, of course -- I know that San Francisco is largely very fond of him.

I think registerthis is probably right, and it makes me a little sad.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    His agent also said earlier this year that he didn't see any reason that Barry couldn't play through at least 2008...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

He'll play till he's 90 with no legs if it means catching Aaron
    Go Gators!

I think this year will be his last and we probably won't ever hear much from him for, at least, 5 years when he is inducted to the Hall of Fame.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

This thread reminded me that the Boston Braves signed a 40 year old Babe Ruth solely as a gate attraction in 1935. While the Babe still had some power, his legs were gone, and he hit .181 that season before quitting mid-year.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I'm hoping for at most this year and that's it.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I can't imagine he plays beyond this year. At this rate, I'd be shocked if he got another 150 AB. He's going to be crippled for life if he doesn't give it up and take care of himself. Not that I see him aging gracefully...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'd be willing to bet that if we started a national petition calling for his retirement the next time he goes on the DL, or at the end of the season, which ever comes first, that'd we'd be able to come up with enough donations to pay for a "severance package" for him to retire this year, whether he broke the record or not.

Not that I'd want to start anything like that and give money to a player that already has millions or anything...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Seattle or the Los Angeles Angels will get him, IMO.

There is always a market for Barry Bonds.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Not that I see him aging gracefully...
    The last couple of years have been about as un-graceful of an aging process as you're likely to witness.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I'd be willing to bet that if we started a national petition calling for his retirement the next time he goes on the DL, or at the end of the season, which ever comes first, that'd we'd be able to come up with enough donations to pay for a "severance package" for him to retire this year, whether he broke the record or not.

Not that I'd want to start anything like that and give money to a player that already has millions or anything...
    He'd get offended by that and play longer
    Go Gators!

I wouldn't be suprised if Barry cuts some sort of deal with MLB to retire in exchange for them dropping their investigation into his steroid use. Bud is enough of a wimp to cut such a deal too.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Turn Off Ads?