Thread: Prospect Profile: Anthony Gressick

Prospect Profile: Anthony Gressick

Anthony Gressick
    Position: Pitcher
    B/T: R/R
    Ht: 6-3 Wt: 200
    Born: 1/1/84
    Acquired: '06 draft (26th round)
    Previous team: THE Ohio University (Where he was also an OF/DH)
    Hometown/High School: Lancaster/Fisher Catholic

From OU’s bio page:
    2006 MLB Draft: Was selected by the Cincinnati Reds as a pitcher in the 26th Round of the 2006 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.
    2006: Earned the second All-America award of his career when he was named to the ABCA/Rawlings Third Team as a designated hitter ... Named to the ABCA/Rawlings All-Mideast Region First Team as a designated hitter ... Earned All-MAC First Team honors for the third time in his career, the fifth player in Ohio history to be a three-time selection ... Was named Ohio's Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year by the Green & White Club ... Offensively, Gressick led the team in runs scored (45), hits (73), doubles (16), home runs (8), RBIs (43), walks (25), slugging (.587) and on-base percentage (.449) ... His .372 average was second on the team and sixth in the MAC ... Led the MAC in league-only games with 47 hits ... His 73 hits and 16 doubles were career highs ... Had a career-high - and team-leading - 25 multiple-hit games ... Had three or more hits in a game nine times ... Also led Ohio with 12 multiple-RBI games ... Started the season with a 10-game hitting streak and ended the season with a nine-game run ... Hit safely in 37 of the team's 46 games ... Was Ohio's best hitter against left-handed pitching with a .429 average and led the team in hitting with runners on base at .392 ... Ohio's best clutch hitter, going 16-for-37 (.432) in the eighth and ninth innings ... Season highs include four hits at Toledo (3/31), six RBIs at Miami (5/13), three doubles at Western Kentucky (2/26), and two homers in games at Miami (5/13) and against Bowling Green (5/20) ... Had two homers and a game-winning RBI single in his last game as a Bobcat against Bowling Green (5/20) ... Was named MAC East Division Player of the Week on May 22 ... Finished his Ohio career ranked third on the program's all-time list with 36 home runs, fourth with 384 total bases, fifth with 44 doubles, sixth with 228 hits and sixth with 157 RBIs ... On the mound, Gressick went 4-1 in nine starts ... Missed three turns in the rotation with a shoulder injury ... Finished second on the team and 18th in the MAC with a 4.47 ERA ... Led the starting staff - and ranked seventh in the MAC - with 8.12 strikeouts per nine innings ... Had 49 strikeouts and 20 walks in 54.1 innings pitched ... Allowed one earned run on seven hits with a season-high nine strikeouts in a complete game against Akron (5/6) ... Was named MAC Preseason Player of the Year by Collegiate Baseball and was a preseason All-MAC pick by Baseball America.
    2005: Selected first-team All-MAC and ABCA All-Mideast Region as a utility player ... Started all 51 games including 36 as a designated hitter ... Recorded 18 multiple-hit games and 12 multiple-RBI games ... Tied for the team lead in RBIs with 49 ... Ranked second on the team with 61 hits, 94 total bases, 12 doubles, seven home runs and a .475 slugging percentage ... Placed third on the team in both batting average (.308) and on-base percentage (.387) ... Hit .419 against left-handed pitching and .545 in MAC games ... Had four hits against West Virginia on April 27, including a game-winning grand slam ... Also recorded four RBIs at Xavier on April 5 ... Against Western Michigan on April 30, he went 4-for-4 at the plate with two RBIs and threw a complete game five-hitter on the mound ... As a pitcher, started in 10 games and recorded a 3-3 record ... Led the MAC with a 2.67 ERA ... Had 15 strikeouts and no earned runs in a game against Eastern Michigan on April 9 ... Also had a complete game at Akron on May 21 in addition to the WMU outing ... Team-best 7.4 strikeouts per nine innings and 9.1 in MAC games ... Limited lefties to .194 and righties to .204 in MAC action.
    2004: An ABCA All-American and first-team All-MAC representative as a designated hitter ... Led the Bobcats in home runs (16), RBIs (45), runs scored (48), total bases (129), walks (28) and slugging percentage (.705) ... Ranked second in the MAC in home runs, third in slugging percentage, seventh in total bases and eighth in batting average and on base percentage ... His 16 home runs tied Jeff Rook (1999) and Cory Keylor (2001) for third most home runs in a single season in Ohio history ... Ranked second on the team with a .377 batting average, 21 multi-hit games and 12 multi-RBI contests ... Posted the Bobcats longest hitting streak of the season at 13 games ... Reached base safely in 43 of 46 games ... Went 4-for-5 with four runs scored, two RBI and a home run against Ohio Wesleyan on April 14 ... In a three-game set at Ball State (May 9-11) was 4-for-12 (.333) with three home runs, six RBI, and three runs scored ... In the season-ending series against Akron was 6-for-12 (.500) with a home run, three RBI and three runs scored ... Due to an arm injury, was limited to designated hitter all year where he started 46 games ... Mononucleosis forced him to miss eight games during the season
    2003: Named to MAC All-Tournament Team after batting .500 (9-for-18) with a home run and six RBIs in four playoff games ... Went 5-for-5 with four RBIs and two runs scored in Ohio's 14-4 upset of Ball State in the first round of the tournament ... Clubbed a pair of home runs against Eastern Michigan on May 16 to become the first Bobcat freshman to accomplish that feat since Adam Fox did it in 2001 ... Hit safely in his last 10 games of the season with a .395 batting average, three home runs and 13 RBI ... Also appeared in 17 games on the mound - including a pair of starts ... Led the team with four saves ... Earned first win of his career with two shutout innings of relief against Michigan State on Mar. 21 ... Struck out a career-high seven batters and earned his third victory of the season in a must-win situation against Eastern Michigan on May 18 - his first start of the year.
    HIGH SCHOOL: Went 8-2 during his senior year at William V. Fisher Catholic while hitting .586 with 12 home runs as a pitcher and infielder ... Named first-team All-Ohio, District Player of the Year, Mizuno All-Ohio and Mid-State League Player of the Year in 2002 ... Led team to state semifinals in 2001 and was district runner-up in 2002 ... Also lettered in basketball.
    PERSONAL: A recreation and sport management double major ... Son of Jeff & Denise Gressick ... Father played professional baseball ... Sister, Melissa, is a member of the Ohio track & field squad ... Born on Jan. 1, 1984.

From the Billings Gazette (6/24/06):
    Saturday night marked Anthony Gressick's first professional start.

The Billings Mustangs' rookie never looked uncomfortable.

Gressick threw five strong innings, rendering three hits and no runs while striking out three as the Mustangs cruised to a 9-1 win over the Helena Brewers at Cobb Field.

Gressick, drafted this year by the Cincinnati Reds out of Ohio University, was unshakeable against the Brewers, much to the delight of his manager, Rick Burleson.
    "He was good from the outset and finished very well," Burleson said. "He did everything we asked. He located the ball down in the zone and threw strikes. You can't ask for much more than that from a guy in his first start."

Burleson and the Mustangs' coaching staff had Gressick pegged for a 55-pitch outing, if he could get there.

Gressick threw exactly 55 pitches, then gave way to a bullpen that was just as effective.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 06-26-2006 at 03:50 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Prospect Profile: Anthony Gressick

Hey, minor correction, but it's Ohio State that has the superfluous "THE" in front of it. OU is just "Ohio University" or "Ohio U." or "Ohio".

My alma mater is actually the first state-supported university in Ohio (situated where it was in Athens because it was halfway between the state capital at the time, Chillicothe, and the border). Incidentally.

Anthony Gressick is the first OU guy I can think of to actually play for the Reds (the two main MLB alumni from the past fifty years being Mike Schmidt and Bob Brenly, nobody of note since). It's great the Reds got him.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Hey, minor correction, but it's Ohio State that has the superfluous "THE" in front of it. OU is just "Ohio University" or "Ohio U." or "Ohio".

My alma mater is actually the first state-supported university in Ohio (situated where it was in Athens because it was halfway between the state capital at the time, Chillicothe, and the border). Incidentally.

Anthony Gressick is the first OU guy I can think of to actually play for the Reds (the two main MLB alumni from the past fifty years being Mike Schmidt and Bob Brenly, nobody of note since). It's great the Reds got him.
    Yeah, I know. I was just taking a shot at the OSU people who insist on it being THE.

Dave Tobik isn't a "player of note"???

Also, Steve Swisher, father of Nick, attended OU.

Dick Murphy played in 6 games with the Reds in 1954, Frank Baumholtz played with the Reds in the late 40s and that's it as far as Bobcats turned Reds.

Source: http://www.baseball-reference.com/schools/ohio.shtml

Gressick went 6 IP giving up 0 R, 3 H, 0 BB, and 5 K's in a 2-0 Billings win over Great Falls on 6/29. He missed out on his 2nd win, as Billings did not score until the 8th inning.

Updated season stats:
    Code:
    Individual Stats (Pitching) (click column headers to sort) 
    Player  W  L  ERA  G  GS  CG  SHO  SV  IP  H  R  ER  HR  HB  BB  SO  WHIP  HLD  GF  

Anthony Gressick 1 0 0.00 2 2 0 0 0 11.0 6 0 0 0 0 0 8 0.55 0 0

Anyone know how hard he throws?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'm glad I "adopted" this guy.

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com...73249258977781
    Gressick's fantastic journey
    Tenacious Lancaster native works his way into Reds' farm system
    By JOE ARNOLD
    Sports Writer
    jarnold@nncogannett.com

Anthony Gressick has seen more of the United States in the last two-and-a-half weeks than most will lays eyes on in a lifetime. In 17 short days, the Fisher Catholic graduate has put a successful college career in his rearview mirror and now, as property of the Cincinnati Reds, is trying to make it as a professional.

The Lancaster native and former Ohio University star now calls Billings, Mont., home. It's the latest stop on a three-state, three-city tour that culminated with Gressick's first professional start last Saturday.

"It's been crazy, trying to figure out where I was headed," Gressick said. "It was definitely hectic."

Gressick began the month in Athens, listening to streaming audio of Major League Baseball's draft when, on June 7, the draft's second day, he was scooped up by the Reds in the 26th round (No. 774). Four days later he was in Sarasota, Fla., for a four-day mini-camp, where he was assigned to the Pioneer League.
    By week's end, Gressick was in Billings, preparing for his first trip to the mound as a professional.

"It was a real battle in those first two to three innings to settle down and keep my nerves under control," he said. "I was starting on the fifth day, so I got to watch the competition level. Once I got out there, I was really trying to focus on throwing strikes. You don't want to walk everyone in your first pro start."

Gressick pitched five innings and gave up three hits and struck out three in the Mustangs' 9-1 win over Helena.

As a pitching prospect, Gressick has traded in his time in the batting cage for more time on the mound. He hasn't touched a bat in three weeks.

"It will do me some good to focus on one thing instead of splitting practice time," he said. "I get to hone in on pitching."

He batted .372 last season for the Bobcats and led the team in home runs (eight), RBI (43) and slugging percentage (.587). The monster season, one in which Gressick missed four weeks on mound with a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder, earned him third-team All-American status. He was an All-American in 2004, and with this season's honor, became just the third Bobcat to be a two-time All-American. He joined Dick Murphy and Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt in the elite club.

"I can't say I expected to be mentioned in the same sentence as Mike Schmidt," Gressick said. "If I can even sniff the success they've had, I can say my career was a success."

Longtime Bobcats coach Joe Carbone, who played alongside Schmidt in 1969, said he saw Gressick's ability long ago during the recruiting process.

"He's a pretty special guy," he said. "He's one of those kids that has great ability and is very coachable and very tough both mentally and physically. He played two positions for us (pitcher and outfield) whenever we needed him. He was a coach's dream."

Gressick's career at Ohio was nearly derailed twice in four years, as the righthander weathered and bounced back from two injuries and an illness. In 2004, his first All-American season, Gressick underwent ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction in his throwing elbow. The procedure, commonly known as Tommy John surgery, relegated Gressick to the role of designated hitter. He took the injury in stride, finishing with a .377 average and 16 home runs, 45 RBI and a .705 slugging percentage.

In addition to the surgery, which typically carries with it a year's worth of rehabilitation, Gressick was stricken with mononucleosis. He missed eight games.

"He always had a great demeanor," Carbone said. "He never got too high or too low. He had a lot of poise."

Gressick's composure was put to the test in March in a four-game series against Michigan State. During the second game of a doubleheader on March 18, Gressick slid headfirst into second base on a steal attempt and felt a twinge in his right shoulder. He shook it off and helped pitch the Bobcats to a 7-5 win in the series finale the next day.

Tests later revealed a partially torn labrum in his throwing shoulder, and Gressick and Ohio prepared for the worst. So bad was the news that Ohio released a statement entitled "Bobcat Hurler Gressick Shut Down for Year." Gressick, faced with the season-ending diagnosis, began making plans for life after baseball.

"I was already registered for summer classes because I assumed I would be there," he said. "I had a job lined up with the (Southern Ohio) Copperheads."

Gressick obtained a second opinion from Cincinnati Reds team physician Dr. Timothy Kremchek, the doctor who performed his elbow surgery two years earlier.

"It wasn't as big of a deal as we originally thought," Gressick said. "He told me that he's seen a ton of these cases and that if it didn't hurt to throw, to go ahead and do it."

Gressick was back in the lineup four weeks later. The Bobcats staggered to an 8-9 mark during his absence.

"That hurt us," Carbone said. "I know he missed four or five starts in the conference. We missed out on the conference tournament by a percentage point. If we had him during that conference stretch, that would have helped us a lot."

After the labrum diagnosis was handed down in March, Gressick, who will get his second start of the season Thursday against the Great Falls (Mont.) White Sox, admitted to pondering whether or not he was destined for injury.

"That passes through your head. But let's put it into perspective," he said. "There are a lot worse things that could have happened. I've been gifted with a great family and great friends who have been there for me.

"Even at that low point, it wasn't really that bad. There could be a lot worse things that go wrong than just baseball."

Sounds a tad bit like the story of Dallas Buck, the Oregon State pitcher selected in the third round by Arizona. Buck has some sort of arm injury that most believe will require surgery, but decided to pitch anyway and was a major part of the Beavers' CWS title. We'll see how he holds up. Same with Gressick.

Updated stats:

Code:
    Anthony Gressick: Individual Stats (Pitching) 
    Team From To W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO 
    Billings Mustangs 06/20 07/11 1 0 0.00 3 3 0 0 0 15.0 11 0 0 0 0 16

Gressick gave up six hits and four runs in the first two innings of a suspended game last week, but those numbers won't be added to his record until if and when the game is completed. So for now his scoreless streak stands.

For the record, my two "adopted" prospects have not given up a run thus far.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    For the record, my two "adopted" prospects have not given up a run thus far.
    DRAFT MORE PITCHERS! lol

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    DRAFT MORE PITCHERS! lol
    Would Eric Milton be considered a prospect?

Turn Off Ads?