Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Theory regarding starting pitchers and mental makeup

Theory regarding starting pitchers and mental makeup

No one could have predicted the success that Arroyo has had thusfar. In Boston he was an average pitcher at the bottom of their rotation, with no pressure on him to be a stopper. It is obvious to me that he HAS the makeup to be a top of the rotation leader. It would however be nice for us for him to be our #2. I have never been in the group of people who think you have to have a dominant #1 to be successful. I would rather have
    4 #2's. It seems like to me this is not all that uncommon. Without researching, wasn't Jason Schmidt merely ok before he went to San Fran?
    He had the pressure of being a dominant starter on his plate and his mental makeup allowed that to take place, and of course his stuff.
    So I was wondering if this doesn't also happen in reverse. For instance, just from memory I think Steve Avery won 17 games his last year in Atlanta pitching from the four hole behind Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux, with no pressure on him at all to be a stopper. He then signs a multi year deal with Boston to be their #1 or #2 pitcher and he basically falls on his face before he got hurt.
    I now turn my attention to Oliver Perez whom has been thrust into the role of staff Ace only to fall on his face for the lowly Pirates. I've read about possible roids and HGH being his problem but I don't know that I beleive that.
    I feel that he doesn't have the mental makeup to be a #1 pitcher on paper. But, I would like to see what he could do pitching behind Arroyo and Harang in the 3 hole, on a team that is in contention. If my theory is correct about mental makeup being as important as stuff, then he could be a gold mine, barring any physical problems that have not been reported.
    Therefore, the trade that I would like to make before the trade deadline is with the Pirates. I'm not totally sure as to what they need in return, but I would like get Perez, Domaso Marte, and Roberto Hernandez from them.
    Maybe we send Votto, Denorfia, Belisle, Germano, Bergolla,Syzmanski?
    I think it would be well worth the chance. Marte and Hernandez dramatically improve our bullpen. I would also like to get Dessens and Affeldt from the Royals. Anyway I would like to hear reply's on mental makeup and how you guys feel about the importance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: theory

Arroyo did lead the Red Sox in quality starts last season. I don't know how much that means, but I just thought I'd put it out there.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redleg32
    No one could have predicted the success that Arroyo has had thusfar. In Boston he was an average pitcher at the bottom of their rotation, with no pressure on him to be a stopper. It is obvious to me that he HAS the makeup to be a top of the rotation leader. It would however be nice for us for him to be our #2. I have never been in the group of people who think you have to have a dominant #1 to be successful. I would rather have
    4 #2's. It seems like to me this is not all that uncommon. Without researching, wasn't Jason Schmidt merely ok before he went to San Fran?
    He had the pressure of being a dominant starter on his plate and his mental makeup allowed that to take place, and of course his stuff.
    So I was wondering if this doesn't also happen in reverse. For instance, just from memory I think Steve Avery won 17 games his last year in Atlanta pitching from the four hole behind Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux, with no pressure on him at all to be a stopper. He then signs a multi year deal with Boston to be their #1 or #2 pitcher and he basically falls on his face before he got hurt.
    I now turn my attention to Oliver Perez whom has been thrust into the role of staff Ace only to fall on his face for the lowly Pirates. I've read about possible roids and HGH being his problem but I don't know that I beleive that.
    I feel that he doesn't have the mental makeup to be a #1 pitcher on paper. But, I would like to see what he could do pitching behind Arroyo and Harang in the 3 hole, on a team that is in contention. If my theory is correct about mental makeup being as important as stuff, then he could be a gold mine, barring any physical problems that have not been reported.
    Therefore, the trade that I would like to make before the trade deadline is with the Pirates. I'm not totally sure as to what they need in return, but I would like get Perez, Domaso Marte, and Roberto Hernandez from them.
    Maybe we send Votto, Denorfia, Belisle, Germano, Bergolla,Syzmanski?
    I think it would be well worth the chance. Marte and Hernandez dramatically improve our bullpen. I would also like to get Dessens and Affeldt from the Royals. Anyway I would like to hear reply's on mental makeup and how you guys feel about the importance.

You think they will cut us some slack for the Casey/Williams deal?

If Perez came cheap, I'd give it a shot.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by redleg32
    I feel that he doesn't have the mental makeup to be a #1 pitcher on paper.
    Losing 7 mph off your 95 mph fastball my have something to do with it as well. Where did his fastball go?
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

I think he's hurt and not telling anyone
    Go Gators!

He's been hurt in the past... wouldn't surprise me. When this kid has his stuff, he's an ace. He's very on again off again though, kinda like brett saberhagen.. heh.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

But if you will look he has had two really good games this year. One against the Cards and one against us. When he started against the Reds he was consistently in the low 90's , and I recall seeing a couple of 95's. Just wondering if he doesn't rev it up a bit for certain teams. That could be a mental thing. I would say it's hard to get "pumped up" when you already think your going to lose.

A pitcher obviously has to have the talent, but you're right that the mental makeup is vital, too. Baseball history is littered with pitchers and position players alike that couldn't get over some mental hump.

I think you may be onto something in considering pitchers who did well then faltered when put under the spotlight of being at the top of the rotation. I'd take a chance on Perez, depending on the price.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Re: Theory regarding starting pitchers and mental makeup

I'd love to grab Perez if the Pirates are going to give him away. Much better chance of a turnaround than Yan.

Turn Off Ads?