Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braves Ready To Unload??

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Braves Ready To Unload??

Obviously the Braves are done this year. And rumors are running wild with Braves dealing big contracts. Names such as Tim Hudson, John Smoltz, and Andruw Jones. What?? Braves dealing Andruw Jones?

Braves were actually really really interested in Joey Gathright. Jones may still be there at years end and purhaps dealt in the offseason. The most likly move will be Smoltz to Detroit. Most likly for Joel Zumaya due to the lack of closer potential in Atlanta. The deal obviously helps bolster Detroits rotation with Rogers, Robertson, Bonderman, Verlander. Lights out if you ask me.

But the real question is Hudson. If he can be had and I were the Reds I would make a run at him. Possibly package LaRue with Germano and Dumatrait. Hudson has looked average this year but adding a starter of his track record would bolster this staff and pave the way for a run. Would also prove to the fans that they are commited to win now and for years to follow. The deal would give the Braves a better back-up to McCann then Todd Pratt and add to the youth at the starting rotation maybe not this year (though what could it hurt) but next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Believer since 1981

Re: Braves Ready To Unload??

I dont think there is any way the Braves will trade Hudson. He just got a new deal in the offseason, and if there is a way to kill potential free agent signings, its deal a guy in the first year of a long term contract. Plus, Hudson is a guy the Braves can build around. They wont be down long, they have some decent talent in the system.

If anyone gets traded, I think it would be Chipper, he is getting a little on the down side of his prime, and his health has been a concern the past 2 seasons.

I think the Braves do Smoltz a favor and maybe swap back Smoltz for Doyle Alexander Smoltz is from Michigan, and if there is one club he would want to go to besides the Braves, it would be the Tigers. I am not sure what he has left, he was out of gas come post-season time last year. I would be very cautious if I were the Tigers.

Another Brave trading chip is Marcus Giles. Not sure what they can get out of him... but he is getting close to being paid some crazy money. Its a good time for them to ship him off.

I don't have the links to any of this handy but most of it I read on ESPN.

Actually everything that I have read about the Braves is that they aren't interested in trading any of their pitchers. They feel that Hampton will come back strong next year and with him, Hudson, and Smoltz they will have a solid top 3. I did see where they might consider moving John Thompson or Sosa, but I don't see them moving Smoltz and I really don't see them moving Hudson. As for Andruw Jones I read that they might look to trade him but it would probably be done in the offseason.

Kyle Davies would be on my wishlist, but I doubt they would let him go.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

i don't understand how people can think we can package players we don't want for a quality player on another team.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    i don't understand how people can think we can package players we don't want for a quality player on another team.
    me either, but it would be nice if the Reds would win a trade sometimes. not counting Arroyo of course.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Hudson has a really odd contract. It is very backloaded. I believe he is scheduled to make over 30 million in the contract's last two years. Not sure that's a good idea.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    I agree.......easier said than done. The same reasons why we don't want them will most likely be the same reasons why other teams will not trade their prized stars for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    me either, but it would be nice if the Reds would win a trade sometimes. not counting Arroyo of course.
    Like the Brandon Phillips deal? Or Felipe Lopez? Or David Ross (so far)? Or Aaron Harang? Or Elizardo Ramirez? Going back a while, how about the Encarnacion deal?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder
    Like the Brandon Phillips deal? Or Felipe Lopez? Or David Ross (so far)? Or Aaron Harang? Or Elizardo Ramirez? Going back a while, how about the Encarnacion deal?
    I don't consider DFAs as winning a deal. Aaron Harang is a very good pitcher, but Jose Guillen is a decent guy as well. Ramirez hasn't proved anything. Yes, Encarnacion looks brilliant.

Now, how many trades have the Reds got smoked on? Where do you want to start?

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Any trade for Tim Hudson is going to have to include an Adam Dunn or a Homer Bailey etc...

There is absolutely zero chance that you get a Tim Hudson for a 31 year old catcher hitting a buck sixty five, and two no name minor league pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    Any trade for Tim Hudson is going to have to include an Adam Dunn or a Homer Bailey etc...

There is absolutely zero chance that you get a Tim Hudson for a 31 year old catcher hitting a buck sixty five, and two no name minor league pitchers.
    I would trade Homer Bailey for Tim Hudson everyday of the week, the Braves might have to pick up some of the salary though.

I'll take Brian McCann.

In my baseball dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I don't consider DFAs as winning a deal. Aaron Harang is a very good pitcher, but Jose Guillen is a decent guy as well. Ramirez hasn't proved anything. Yes, Encarnacion looks brilliant.

Now, how many trades have the Reds got smoked on? Where do you want to start?

Ramirez hasn't proven anything?? the guy has about a 3.60 era!! give the kid a break, he looks promising, and is young, great trade for us

GUillen is a decent guy?? I would say he is a decent player, but guy no..also, we ripped them off for Harang, you don't trade a journeyman OF for a #2 starter everyday

and Encarnacion? I won't get into, b/c i can't tell if you are sarcastic or not

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Hudson has a really odd contract. It is very backloaded. I believe he is scheduled to make over 30 million in the contract's last two years. Not sure that's a good idea.
    While I watching Hudson pitch against the Yankees last night, it occurred to me that the Braves' collapse this year is their blessing in disguise. They now have an excuse to unload Hudson and all that future big money. Hudson just isn't the same pitcher he once was, and I can't see him being a $15 million a year type pitcher in a year or two.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?