Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Belisle, Standridge to Set-up Role

Belisle, Standridge to Set-up Role

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...606270331/1071

Stepping up to setup
    Belisle, Standridge could shore up Reds' weak link in bullpen
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

It looks like Jason Standridge and Matt Belisle are next up on the right-handed setup man audition stage.

"Both have the stuff do it," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "Hopefully, one of them will step up."

Standridge is up to the task.

"I'll pitch whenever they ask me," he said. "But I definitely feel like I'm a guy who can throw strikes and get people out."

Belisle, on the disabled list since May 30 with a strained lower back, rejoins the club today after six sterling appearances on a three-stop rehab assignment. Reliever Mike Burns was sent to Triple-A Louisville Monday to make room for Belisle.

Standridge has been up with the Reds for a week. He made two appearances in the series with the New York Mets.

Both Belisle and Standridge throw hard - 94-95 mph. Both have had success at the big-league level, but not over an extended period. Their ages - Belisle is 26, Standridge is 27 - say chances are they'll get better.

The Reds have 10 blown saves in 27 opportunities. The closer, Todd Coffey, is responsible for only one of the 10.

The Reds have tried a lot of people in the setup role. Coffey started the season there. He was so successful that he was moved to the closer role.

The hope was that David Weathers, the pitcher Coffey replaced as closer, would be able to move into Coffey's role and be effective. Weathers has struggled.

His ERA has gone from 3.86 to 5.40 since he was taken out of the closer's role. He threw a scoreless inning his last time out, but since leaving the June 11 game with shoulder tendonitis, he has given up five earned runs over 21/3 innings.

The Reds also tried to use Rick White and Esteban Yan as setup men. White was designated for assignment; Yan has been reduced to mop-up duty after giving up four runs in his last five appearances.

One of the keys to being successful in the setup role is the ability to come in with runners on and strand them.

Belisle struggled with that early in the year. Three of his five inherited runners scored.

He was pushed back to the long relief role after his early struggles.

But he was pitching very well when he went on the DL with the back problem.

In eight games before going on the DL, he had a 2.25 ERA over eight innings.

Belisle's overall ERA - 3.86 - is second to Coffey among current Reds relievers, not counting Standridge, who has pitched only 12/3 innings.

Before he went on rehab assignments, Belisle wowed pitching coach Tom Hume with a bullpen session.

"That's the best I've seen him throw in a while," Hume said.

Belisle throws up to 95 mph, so given the recent struggles of the bullpen, he's worth a try.

The same can be said of Standridge. He was consistently hitting 94 mph in his two appearances in New York.

He showed last year that - when he's on - he can be very good. He had a 0.53 ERA over his first 15 appearances for the Reds. He didn't allow a run in 121/3 innings in May for Triple-A Louisville.

But he has trouble throwing strikes at times. He has 57 walks and 58 strikeouts in the majors.

"Throwing strikes is my personal key," he said. "I have to get ahead of hitters, so I can be aggressive. When you get behind, you have to try to throw the perfect pitch."

EDWIN TO LOUISVILLE: Third baseman Edwin Encarnacion (sprained left ankle) will begin his rehab assignment at Louisville tonight.

TWO MORE SIGN: The Reds signed their fifth- and 10th-round draft picks:

5. Josh Ravin, a right-hander out of Chatsworth High in Reseda, Calif.

10. Josh Roenicke, a right- hander from UCLA.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Belisle, Standridge to Set-up Role

Man, wouldn't it be great if these two guys step up in the 2nd half and do the job.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

IMO it is was a good move. Belisle, Standridge, and Coffey have the best "stuff" in our bullpen, and they also have been putting up good numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

at least the pair has better fastballs and are GB pitchers.

I also think pitching on a regular basis will help out Belisile with his mechanics
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

and all three are under-30.

none are "proven veterans"

None are scrappy.

Is Jerry Narron turning to the "dark side" ?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    In this case the unknown is better than the known from his point of view.

got alil captain in u?

i like the idea standbridge pitched well in teh 2 games i saw him pitch in new york belisle has always had the stuff to be a good bullpen guy

Will they perform better? I dunno but I do know that they have better arms and stuff than they guys they are replacing.

IF they can master the command side of things they will likely be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    In this case the unknown is better than the known from his point of view.
    I guess Jerry Narron gives'em the ball he tells them the old Red Green line.

"Hey, I'm pulling for ya!" :redgreen:
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

at least the pair has better fastballs and are GB pitchers.

I also think pitching on a regular basis will help out Belisile with his mechanics
    Based on what I've seen when he pitches, I think Belisle's got a little bit of Luke Hudson in him -- he throws hard, but there's not a ton of natural motion on his fastball and it forces him to try and spot it around the plate, often causing him to get behind in the count.

He also struggles mightily, at times, figuring out where his breaking ball is going. He'll throw two or three that freeze batters and then his next one will hang for an eternity right over the center of the plate.

I like the kid, but I really just think his pitching style screams "starter' -- he throws with good velocity, has good stamina, can throw multiple pitches for strikes, and lacks that ability of good bullpeners to come in and immediately have a feel for their stuff from pitch #1. Putting him out in the pen as a setup man just seems to be pounding a square peg into a round hole.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I think he's turning to the only guys who haven't melted down in the pen.
    Go Gators!

Also he probably wants to make sure he has a job next year
    Go Gators!

Will they perform better? I dunno but I do know that they have better arms and stuff than they guys they are replacing.

IF they can master the command side of things they will likely be effective.
    Yup, and they are young so at least there is a reason to still hope if they get smacked around a bit. I can live with the youthful struggles of a kid with good stuff a lot easier than I can live with the constant beat downs of a middle aged slop thrower.

If it does work and they are even just somewhat effective it could buy time for Weathers and Mercker to get healthy. Within a month or so the 4 of them plus Coffey could give us an average MLB bullpen. Given the state of the NL that should give us a fighting chance without having to trade off anything important or rush anyone up from the minors.

Turn Off Ads?