Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chips starting to fall - Dodgers/Tampa Bay Trade official - SI.com

Chips starting to fall - Dodgers/Tampa Bay Trade official - SI.com

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays traded pitcher Mark Hendrickson and catcher Toby Hall to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday for pitcher Jae Seo, minor league catcher Dioner Navarro and a player to be named.

The Dodgers began the day leading the NL West.

Hendrickson was 4-8 with a 3.81 ERA in 13 starts. The 32-year-old lefty held opponents to a .241 batting average.

Hall hit .231 with eight home runs and 23 RBIs for the last-place Devil Rays. He has thrown out 35 percent of would-be basestealers in his career.

"Mark will add some depth to our starting rotation as we head into the second half of the season," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti. "Toby is an experienced catcher who will serve us well both behind the plate and off the bench."

Seo, traded from the New York Mets to the Dodgers in the offseason, was 2-4 with a 5.78 ERA. The righty is 24-26 with a 4.13 ERA lifetime.

Navarro hit .280 with two homers and eight RBIs for the Dodgers before injuring his right wrist on May 5. He was sent to Triple-A after being activated from the disabled list.
    hmmm.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chips starting to fall - Dodgers/Tampa Bay Trade official - SI.com

Market open?
    Go Gators!

Dumb trade for the Dodgers. They get Hendrickson who is likely to fall apart very soon, and Hall, who is pure crap.

They had a better catcher in Navarro, and Seo is more likely to find success than Hendrickson is to sustain it, IMO.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    Dumb trade for the Dodgers. They get Hendrickson who is likely to fall apart very soon, and Hall, who is pure crap.

They had a better catcher in Navarro, and Seo is more likely to find success than Hendrickson is to sustain it, IMO.
    Could not disagree more - I think Hendrickson is a great acquistion for the Dodgers. Especially getting to pitch half his starts in Dodger Stadium.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190

I'd love this trade if I were an L.A. fan -- Navarro had been rendered a complete spare part by the emergence and stellar play of Russel Martin and Hendrickson will love playing out in the NL west, where he gets to throw in a pitchers park and with an offense that'll give adequate run support.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The pot is stirred....

Ok Reds, get involved!

The Mets absolutely robbed the Dodgers in getting Duaner Sanchez for Jay Seo.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

How old is Seo again? I guess that Tampa is trying to get a bit younger but at what point will they start keeping some of their veterans?
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Seo is 29.

this was a flotsam for jetsam deal.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I don't know how the Rays can get any younger - They can get cheaper. The other big veteran that needs to move is Aubrey Huff who has no range and arm, and still plays 3rd base. He made a nice play yesterday, but his throw was slow.

I think this was a good trade for both teams. But, if Hendrickson/Hall could net a catcher of the future and a living breathing left-hander, I would be interested in what a LaRue/Claussen deal would bring.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

The Rays goal..25 guys making the minimum
    Go Gators!

Does this mean Billingsly is going back to AAA? That kid doesn't look ready yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala
    Does this mean Billingsly is going back to AAA? That kid doesn't look ready yet.
    Most likely.

I have said that a LaRue / Gosling trade to Colorado would make sense with the Rockies hanging around and having a fighting chance at the NL West.
    The Rockies catchers have been awful this year.

I'd like to get Ryan Shealy and Ubaldo Jimenez in return, but I doubt that's likely to happen in a trade for those two. Maybe if Claussen comes back healthy a trade of LaRue and Claussen could net that package...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    The Rays goal..25 guys making the minimum
    the John Allen gospel is spreading
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?