Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Prospect Profile: Zach Ward

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Prospect Profile: Zach Ward

Background
    Born: Jauary 14, 1984
    6'5" 225
    Throws: Right Bats: Right
    Drafted: 3rd round, 92nd Overall by the Cincinnati Reds 2005 out of Gardner-Webb University

College

Ward threw a no hitter on February 19, 2005 against Akron.

Ward’s crowing achievement came on February 19, 2005 in Rock Hill, S.C., as he fanned 11 in a complete-game no hitter vs. Akron. That no hitter was the first for a GWU pitcher in 31 seasons.

For his three-year career, the former Freshman All-America choice finished fifth in GWU history in wins (17), first in career strikeouts (284) and strikeouts per nine innings (10.8). During his time with the Diamond ‘Dogs, Ward picked up several notable wins over major Division I opponents, including top-30 programs Georgia, UCF and Florida Atlantic as a freshman in 2003 – along with UCF and Troy this season.

Could only find Zachs stats for 2005

Scouting Report

Ward, who was rated the No. 13 prospect in the prestigious Cape Cod League following an outstanding summer season in 2004 by Baseball America, is confident in a hard and heavy fastball that has reached into the 95-96 mph range and a slider/power curve that was clocked as high as 87 at the recent A-Sun Tournament. He has grown tremendously since arriving at Gardner-Webb in August, 2002, without much fanfare. He was rated as high as the No. 27 college prospect available by Baseball America in its mid-season draft preview.

Minor Leagues

Zach was given all of 2005 off to rest his arm that got some use in college. The Reds then started him off in low-A Dayton to introduce him to professional baseball. Zach made his professional debut on 4/9/2006 (as I was celebrating my 22nd birthday). It was a good one. Zach went 6 innings, allowed 2 hits, 0 runs, 3 walks and struck out 3 batters. Zach has been a part of one of the best pitching staffs in the Midwest League. He boasts a GO/FO ratio for the season of 121/39, which is 3.1/1 Ground outs to fly outs. Zach gave up a home run in the 4th inning on April 14th, in his second start of the season. Since then he has not given up a home run in 70.1 innings. As for his stats, I made a game log for Zach. So, here you go.

Sources for information

http://www.gwusports.com/story.asp?R...13&story=69971

http://www.thebaseballcube.com

http://www.milb.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect Profile: Zach Ward

eesh....his last 5 starts have been filthy

33 IP
    16 H
    5 BB
    34 K
    4 Runs

1.09 Earnie

49 GB
    15 FB
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Ward must not have the "stuff" that Bailey/Cueto have, because he doesn't get much love. If Krivsky doesn't mind Cueto's size and doesn't think it is a problem, Ward will probably be the one to move to another organization. With Cueto and Bailey being flyball pitchers, the Reds must not think to much of the homer problem.

Aronchis, Bailey is not a flyball pitcher. He has 3 more FO than GO on the season....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Aronchis, Bailey is not a flyball pitcher. He has 3 more FO than GO on the season....
    Yeah, but he lives up in the zone, as does Cueto.

When I was listening to a Chattanooga game about a week ago they said there was an open spot on the roster after Kelly was promoted. Would having Ward skip Sarasota and go straight to Chattanooga be to much of a challenge for him?

I would of thought Ward would have recieved a promotion before Cueto because of Wards age and the type of pitcher he is.

Watching Ward pitch scares me a bit. Not that he is not good but he has a delivery that seems to me would be difficult to keep it repeatable. It's one in which alot could go wrong (it's a long and slightly jerky) in there at any time and throw him off his game ever so slightly. Maybe they want to see him compact it or at very least show he can continue to repeat it over a full season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Willie0023

There are alot of guys in MLB that have perfect deliveries, and cannot get it together. Most notably Jason Johnson of the Red Sox, and Mark Prior. Prior pitches effortlessly, and scouts say he was near perfect mechanics, but hes ALWAYS hurt. Johnson has electric stuff, and again flawless mechanics, but he gets lit up like a Christmas tree.

I have famliy that lives in Sarasota, and we visit twice a year. Once in the Spring and Fall. I try to time it up so I can visit Spring Training, and then the Instructional league in the fall. Last October Zach was maybe the best pitcher I saw there, and that included Reds closer Todd Coffey, and Homer. Now this is merely basing it off results, but NO ONE was hitting Zach. Yes he does have some short arm action, but for me the results matter. Zach had great results all fall. I saw him again in the Spring, and it was more of the same. He played with the High "A" team all Spring, ( As did most of Dayton's better players), and was dominant. Mid-90's fastball with movement like you would not believe. You really have to see the movement to appreciate it. Also his slider is just filthy. If he can work on this change-up he really has a good chance to make it. His on-mound presence may be his best attribute however. Hes a FIERCE competitor, and does not like giving up hits. Nonetheless hes proving it again in Dayton with great results, and hopefully can continue to progress. With arms like his, Baileys, Wood, and maybe Cueto the future is bright. GO REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good report, doug. Ward looks like an arm to watch.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Ive seen Ward twice this year, the first game he was wild but it was ice cold out there. No one could get solid wood off Ward and his pitching motion was right over the top. The second game I saw was off Time Warner On Demand. He continued to just come right over the top and his sinker stayed around the batters ankles for strikes. He seems to throw a heavy fastball that hitters cant drive. They still have the Dragon games on Time Warner channel 1111.

Icehole,are those free or do they cost money?

those are free

Ward is now a Twin. I am sad to see him go, but maybe now he will get his chance to see HIGH-A after dominating Low-A for way to long. Best of luck to Zach, I liked him.

Guess who's back (again). The Reds signed Ward from the Lake County Fielders, a team owned by Kevin Costner. They currently have ex-Red minor leaguers Anthony Esquer, Chris Kelly, and Cody Strait.

Zack was born in Concord, NC. I have been pleased to see how many guys in the Reds organization have North Carolina ties.

Turn Off Ads?