Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mariotti Does It Again

Mariotti Does It Again

On Around the Horn

Should the Cardinals be worred............

"No, there isn't a team in that divison outside of the Cardinals that can win that divison."

It's late June, and we are a game and a half out of first.

Screw you Mariotti.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-27-2006 at 05:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mariotti Does It Again

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    On Around the Horn

"No, there isn't a team in that divison outside of the Cardinals that can win that divison."

Screw you Mariotti.
    I was watching that also, that's awesome. I mean I get it that the Cards are still the favorite but I think we've proven they aren't as good as they are portrayed to be. And for him to say that Reds or even Astros for that matter couldn't win is silly.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Old Red Guard Reject

Ditto what Ozzie said.

Believer since 1981

I think I am starting to agree with Ozzie Guillen on Jay Mariotti..

*looks at bullpen*

Is he wrong?

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    *looks at bullpen*

Is he wrong?

Exactly, until we have a formidable bullpen, no one is going to take the Reds seriously because there is no reason why they should.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Next time he makes an intelligent comment about anything, let me know.

Sure, the Cardinals are still (and should be until proven otherwise) the favorite, but to say nobody else in this divison can de-thrown them is just idiotic. The Reds are in their rear-view mirror, and everybody remembers what the Astros did last year in the second half...
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-27-2006 at 05:47 PM.

whodeynati85

People say are bullpen is terrible, which it is, but our starting pitching is a lot better than the Cardinals whos whole pitching staff sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    Exactly, until we have a formidable bullpen, no one is going to take the Reds seriously because there is no reason why they should.
    So you think that if not much changes in the pen, we have no chance of winning the division? I think our chances are not good, and I pray that we get some decent arms in there, but in the event of the worst case senario I still believe we have some chance, not much, but some. That's basically what JM was saying, and if he believes that fine, I don't really care, but do you. Maybe I am just not being objective enough, which I've been guilty of before.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    So you think that if not much changes in the pen, we have no chance of winning the division? I think our chances are not good, and I pray that we get some decent arms in there, but in the event of the worst case senario I still believe we have some chance, not much, but some. That's basically what JM was saying, and if he believes that fine, I don't really care, but do you.
    Anything is possible, but I have to say that from an analytical point of view, I don't believe the Reds can win the division and possibly the wild card without improving the bullpen, regardless of what the other teams do. What we're witnessing at the moment is close to the worst collapse the Cardinals can have. The base ability of their team is high enough that, barring serious and prolific injuries to the team, they can fall back on pretty solid stuff. I expect the Astros to only get better, but if they don't, there are other teams in the league to contend with regarding the wild card.

The thing about a weak bullpen is that it is, of all major weaknesses on a team, the thing most likely to really pull down a team as the season moves on. If you have weak starting pitching but a strong bullpen, you can probably squeak by. If you have weak offense but strong pitching, same thing. If you have a weak bullpen in July and August, though, it gets really tough. Your starters can't work as long or as well in the heat (I rely on one starter falling apart for every team just to be on the safe side), and your hitters and runners start getting injured and tired. The ball carries farther. You're getting by with 25 men through the end of July. The guys in the bullpen are the ones who have the opportunity to limit the damage with the least amount of time, work and sweat. If they're not there, the burden placed on the rest of the team is three times as heavy and hot as it is in April or September.

edit: It is important to note that nothing I just said changes the fact that Jay Mariotti is a complete idiot.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 06-27-2006 at 06:11 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by whodeynati85
    People say are bullpen is terrible, which it is, but our starting pitching is a lot better than the Cardinals whos whole pitching staff sucks.
    Our starting pitching is a lot better than the Cards IF Arroyo keeps his ERA under 2.50 for the year, IF Harang stays on his 223 K / 223 INN pace, IF EZ continues to look like a young Brad Radke, and IF Milton keeps respectability alive in the fourth spot. As far as I can tell, there is no body of work for any of these guys that would suggest their first half performances will be repeated except for perhaps Milton, who might have made several other brushes with respectability in his career.

Folks, there is still a very plausible scenario out there that has Bronson and EZ turning back into pumpkins, Harang reverting to his 2005 form (which wasn't bad admittedly, but not close to his current dominance), and Milton staying about the same (perhaps wishful thinking in itself). What we are left with then is a starting rotation with an ERA around 4.50, an inconsistent offense, and a bullpen that... well, you know.

I'm not sayin' I agree with Mariotti ignoring the Reds' success... but I understand.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Mariotti is a... err... idiot.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Anything is possible, but I have to say that from an analytical point of view, I don't believe the Reds can win the division and possibly the wild card without improving the bullpen, regardless of what the other teams do. What we're witnessing at the moment is close to the worst collapse the Cardinals can have. The base ability of their team is high enough that, barring serious and prolific injuries to the team, they can fall back on pretty solid stuff. I expect the Astros to only get better, but if they don't, there are other teams in the league to contend with regarding the wild card.

The thing about a weak bullpen is that it is, of all major weaknesses on a team, the thing most likely to really pull down a team as the season moves on. If you have weak starting pitching but a strong bullpen, you can probably squeak by. If you have weak offense but strong pitching, same thing. If you have a weak bullpen in July and August, though, it gets really tough. Your starters can't work as long or as well in the heat (I rely on one starter falling apart for every team just to be on the safe side), and your hitters and runners start getting injured and tired. The ball carries farther. You're getting by with 25 men through the end of July. The guys in the bullpen are the ones who have the opportunity to limit the damage with the least amount of time, work and sweat. If they're not there, the burden placed on the rest of the team is three times as heavy and hot as it is in April or September.

edit: It is important to note that nothing I just said changes the fact that Jay Mariotti is a complete idiot.
    That all makes a lot of sense and I'm sure you're right. But my main point was the fact that Mariotti didn't even give us a chance, and I still believe that the Reds would have some chance. But I suppose that's just being naive.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    *looks at bullpen*

Is he wrong?

I don't think we know that at this point... nor does he.

His statement is pretty wide... at this point, the NL Central is NOT the Cards to be had. Does that mean they will not win it? Of course not... but it's certainly not a definite shoe-in, as he seems to state.

I don't like him either, but what Ozzie said is still wrong. I'd rather he had called him an hole. But I more wish he'd taken him out with intelligent words rather than sinking to his level (not that he had to sink to far; I don't have much respect for Ozzie either).

Actually, they deserve each other.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    On Around the Horn

Screw you Mariotti.
    Was you refering to Mariotti in a homosexual way? Or what did you mean by that statement?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Turn Off Ads?