Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Gammons in surgery for brain aneurysm

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Peter Gammons in surgery for brain aneurysm

I hope he pulls through. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2502295

Longtime ESPN Baseball analyst Peter Gammons suffered an aneurysm in his brain Tuesday morning near his home on Cape Cod, Mass. He was airlifted to a Boston hospital, where he is currently undergoing surgery.

Peter Gammons
    AP
    Gammons was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005.

Gammons, 61, is probably the best-known baseball writer of his generation, first with the Boston Globe, beginning in 1969, then for Sports Illustrated, before joining ESPN in 1990.

In 2004, he was honored with J.G. Taylor Spink Award for outstanding baseball writing during the 2005 Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cooperstown, N.Y. He was selected in balloting by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

He started his career as a reporter for the Boston Globe in 1969 and wrote a very popular weekly Sunday baseball column for many years. He has also worked for Sports Illustrated covering the National Hockey League, college basketball and Major League Baseball (1976-78, 1986-90).

In 1986, upon his return to Sports Illustrated as a senior writer following a second stay at the Globe, he wrote numerous stories covering some of baseball's most important news events, as well as authoring "Inside Baseball," Sports Illustrated's weekly baseball notebook.

Gammons is also the author of Beyond the Sixth Game, a look at free agency.

Born April 9, 1945, Gammons is a native of Boston, raised in nearby Groton, Mass. He attended the University of North Carolina and is married.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Peter Gammons in surgery for brain aneurysm

Wow....my best to he and his family
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-27-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Get well soon!

Man, I hate to hear that. I love reading his columns and watching him on Baseball Tonight. He's knows his baseball and you can tell he loves the game. I hope he can pull through and continue covering the game he loves.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I was waiting for the David Ortiz traded joke...

Wow, that's so sad. He seems like a guy who genuinely loves the game of baseball and his writing is always fun to read (even if I disagree with it).

Best to him and his family.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Wow, terrible news for anyone. I do enjoy his style, but more than that hate to see that happen to anyone. Pull through Petey!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Good luck to Mr. Gammons.

I discovered Peter Gammons thirty something years ago when I was in high school. He had the most awesome column in The Sunday Boston Globe that ran all year, not just baseball season. It was about a quarter of a page and was full of information on all of the teams, not just the Red Sox. For years after I moved away from the Boston area, my mom would save his Sunday columns and mail them to me about once a month.

It was very similar to the column he still does except he would give certain players nicknames like chris Berman once did. In fact, I believe Berman admits he borrowed the schtick from Gammons. Actually, unlike Berman's play on the name, Gammons' were more like inside jokes on the player's appearance, personality, or intelligence. My favorite Gammons' nickname was for a White Sox pitcher Bart "Toys in the Attic" Johnson.

I pray for him.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Sad news
    Go Gators!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I really hope he makes it through this. I've always liked Peter Gammons. This was totally unexpected. Prayers for Peter and his family.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

My boss (mid-40s female in fine health) had an aneurysm in the fall. It ruptured while she was in surgery with the microsurgeon, then again in post op. It wasn't good, by any stretch. The week Katrina hit, I was wondering when I was going to get the call that I'd be going to her funeral.

She was back working part-time in 3 months, and full-time a month after that.

She is definitely a changed person, and she has to write down a lot more notes than she did before. But she's a functioning, self-sufficient, contributing member to society.

Here's hoping Pete's recovery goes just as well.

Wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Rem

Any updates?

ESPN just said he's out of surgery and resting now.

Here is a update on Peter Gammons Condition.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...295&type=story
    Gammons in ICU after surgery for brain aneurysm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com

Longtime ESPN Baseball analyst Peter Gammons is out of surgery and resting in intensive care after undergoing an operation to treat an aneurysm in his brain Tuesday. Gammons suffered the aneurysm Tuesday morning near his home on Cape Cod, Mass. He was airlifted to a Boston hospital, where the surgery was performed.

Gammons was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005.

Gammons, 61, is probably the best-known baseball writer of his generation, first with the Boston Globe, beginning in 1969, then for Sports Illustrated, before joining ESPN in 1990.

He was honored with J.G. Taylor Spink Award for outstanding baseball writing during the 2005 Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cooperstown, N.Y. He was selected in balloting by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

He started his career as a reporter for the Boston Globe in 1969 and wrote a very popular weekly Sunday baseball column for many years. He has also worked for Sports Illustrated covering the National Hockey League, college basketball and Major League Baseball (1976-78, 1986-90).

In 1986, upon his return to Sports Illustrated as a senior writer following a second stay at the Globe, he wrote numerous stories covering some of baseball's most important news events, as well as authoring "Inside Baseball," Sports Illustrated's weekly baseball notebook.

Gammons primarily serves as a studio analyst for ESPN's Baseball Tonight, but he also does regular spots for SportsCenter, ESPNEWS and ESPN Radio and contributes to ESPN The Magazine. He is a columnist and writes a popular Weblog for ESPN.com.

Gammons is also the author of "Beyond the Sixth Game", a look at free agency.

Born April 9, 1945, Gammons is a native of Boston, raised in nearby Groton, Mass. He attended the University of North Carolina and is married to his wife, Gloria.

Turn Off Ads?