Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My Baseball Season

My Baseball Season

I did this last year and everyone seemed to like it, so I thought I would do it again this year. I am 13, so i played in the 13-14 year old league "Pony". My team is made of kids from my middle school, Southwestern. Only around 300 kids attend the school. My team was decent this year. Here is a run through of our lineup.

SS/P Travis Baugh (me)- I batted leadoff because i almost always made contact. I only had a few extra base hits, but I singled almost 4/10 times I batted. I pitched too and only threw in the 60's but pitched strikes which helped me. I had 8 putouts at pitcher one game!

3B/P/SS Clint Thayer- Clint is 5"10 180 pounds of solid muscle. He is our running back in football and center in basketball. This was his first season playing baseball. He did well thanks to his athletic ability. When he got a hold of one you could kiss it good bye. He could throw around 70 and had a nasty forkball.

CF Joe Butera- Joe is a interesting kid. He always talks in the 3rd person. He once hit a grandslam around 290 feet and said "Joe had a nice hit." He always hit good and played a great centerfield for us,too.

1B/P Dylan Johnson- He's been on my team for as long as I can remember. He plays a solid 1st base, pitches well, and did a decent job batting cleanup.

C/P Logan Butler- Logan has always played for a travel team called the Indiana Lions. He came in thinking he was better than everyone else since we were all used to playing rec ball. He was average behind the dish and was a opposite field hitter. If he would have dropped the attitude his season could have been better.

2B Juan Morales- Juan was an all around good player. He had a lot of stolen bases and hardly ever missed one at 2B.

OF/C Levi Bilyeu- Levi is a big kid and he had big pop in his bat. He was a hit or miss guy, our teams Adam Dunn. He was a nice guy and did a good job encouraging the pitchers when he caught.

1B/RF Noah Martin- Noah did OK towards the end of the order getting hits when we needed them. He seemed to always ask Coach if he could pitch or move higher up in the order, and he usually wasn't pleased with the answer. He filled in at 1st when Dylan pitched and did a reasonable job.

OF Nathan Ulmer- There's not a lot to say about Nathan. He did well in the outfield and swung a decent stick.

LF Elijah Light- The lefty always made good contact but didn't get on base too much. He missed over half of the games because he was on vacation:thumbdown .

RF- Tyler Anthrop A.K.A Goosepoop- ( He claims to have ate goosepoop 2 years ago for no appearant reason ) Tyler made contact maybe 3 times this year but 2 of those hits were doubles. Tyler was a great "clubhouse" guy and always kept us pumped up.

OF Jake Anthrop- The younger brother of Goosepoop, Jake did about the same as Tyler. He wasn't Albert Pujols out there but he had a smile on his face and enjoyed the game.

Our team finished 7-7, after a tough loss tonight in the County Tournament. I pitched 2 1/3 and stuck out 3, walked 1, and give up 2 hits. I love playing baseball and have a blast while playing it. Sometimes I wanted to pull a Lou Pinella and throw a tantrum, but I decided it would be better to make the best of things.
    Oh yea, my coach knew i was a huge Reds fan, and gave me a hard time. He would always say "Is that how the Reds do it?" or things like that. Tonight he suprised me by giving me 4 tickets to the Aug. 5 Reds vs. Braves game . I was suprised and thanked him numerous times.

I made many new friends this season and I will keep in touch with them.
    GO REDS, AND GO BASEBALL IN GENERAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by gitrdunn44; 06-28-2006 at 09:08 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: My Baseball Season

Quote Originally Posted by gitrdunn44
    I pitched too and only threw in the 60's but pitched strikes which helped me.
    I coached a team of 13-14 year old kids one year. Keep learning how to throw strikes, and locate that fastball

That was awesome and very enjoyable, thank you!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Very cool man, glad to see your having fun.

Not being too far removed from my rec baseball years the best advice I can give you is to have fun and enjoy what you're doing. I was always pressured to play traveling ball but I played in rec ball all the way through until I was 15 (last year of rec ball where I'm from). While maybe the competition wasn't as great I always took pride in being one of only 3 guys on the varsity team my senior year that came out of the rec system in town.

Sounds like you guys had a great year. While you may think every game is do or die, it's not. Make sure to enjoy your friends and enjoy the game and always try to play it right.

Wow, that just sounded like something my dad would say...

wonder what these guys would say if they read this? I'm not sure that some of those guys would be happy, especially "goosepoop."
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Thanks for posting this..very cool
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?