Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Homer Bailey in June....en fuego!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Homer Bailey in June....en fuego!

OK, so as some of you may know, I am a huge Homer Bailey fan. I have been keeping track of game logs with just about every number available for each and every game. In the month of June, these are Homer Bailey's numbers:
    *note: ERA, WHIP and dERA are for the season at the point that game was completed, not for that specific game*
    Code:
    Date    IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO   ERA  WHIP  GO FO  dERA 
    6/4/06  7  1 0 0  0  2   1   7  3.53  1.07   7  7  3.47 
    6/9/06  7  3 1 1  0  0   0   8  3.31  1.01   8  5  3.14 
    6/22/06 6  5 0 0  0  0   0   7  3.05  0.99   4  4  2.98 
    6/27/06 6  0 0 0  0  0   2   6  2.83  0.94   8  4  2.92
    For the month that makes Baileys numbers: 0.34 ERA, 0.46 WHIP, 9.69 k/9, 1.35/1 GO/FO and a 9.33/1 K/BB ratio.

Like I said in the topic....En Fuego!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey in June....en fuego!

I liked the move calling him up for more than one reason. For one, he was unhittable in high A his last few starts down there. But the biggest key is keeping this kid challenged and interested. I've read a few articles where they speak of how people are concerned with his motivation and drive as a pitcher. I believe he's been quoted saying that baseball isn't everything and stuff like that. Challenging him could be the key in his career.

Well congrats to Homer on a great job tonight!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Just got back from tonight's game about an hour ago. The Lookouts No-hit bid was broken up by a 1 out homer in the ninth.

Homer went 6 innings tonight. Very much in command after a somewhat shaky first inning. Fastball all night was betweeen 91-94 mph. A few times he got it up to 95 or 96. Very impresssed with his mechanics, build, etc.

Twice his infield betrayed on the most routine of ground balls. Seemed to get 3 or 4 outs on 0-2 curveballs in the zone that were ground outs. Actually, to me he seemed to get a little stronger the farther he went.

Will check him out again when the Lookouts come back to Huntsville at the end of July.
    "There have been only two geniuses in the world, Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare." Tallulah Bankhead

The 4 numbers that impress me for the month: 26 ip, 9 hits, 3 walks and 28 K's

I would like to see the Reds handle Homer exactly how the Twins did Liriano. This would be like Liriano's 2005. Leave Homer in AA for the rest of the year no matter how well he does, then assuming he has success let him start in the big league bullpen next year, and if he continues successfully, hopefully he can crack the rotation by June (while still keeping him on a strict pitch count.) I think this would be the perfect compromise between not rushing him, yet not letting him throw so many minor league innings that he gets injured and turns into another Ryan Anderson or Jon Rauch (two former top prospects that were left in the minors too long IMO). Perhaps of equal importance, this way the clock towards arbitration/FA doesn't start til next year. I know I know, he will be throwing innings whether he's in the minors or majors, but I like the path Liriano has taken with the Twins. If he can have any kind of success resembling Liriano's, we could be VERY good next year.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    I would like to see the Reds handle Homer exactly how the Twins did Liriano. This would be like Liriano's 2005. Leave Homer in AA for the rest of the year no matter how well he does, then assuming he has success let him start in the big league bullpen next year, and if he continues successfully, hopefully he can crack the rotation by June (while still keeping him on a strict pitch count.) I think this would be the perfect compromise between not rushing him, yet not letting him throw so many minor league innings that he gets injured and turns into another Ryan Anderson or Jon Rauch (two former top prospects that were left in the minors too long IMO). Perhaps of equal importance, this way the clock towards arbitration/FA doesn't start til next year. I know I know, he will be throwing innings whether he's in the minors or majors, but I like the path Liriano has taken with the Twins. If he can have any kind of success resembling Liriano's, we could be VERY good next year.
    Thats also how the Astros handled Roy Oswalt as well. Did his time in the pen and then onto the rotation.

Turn Off Ads?