Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Whoa! Should Brewers Move Carlos Lee Now?

Whoa! Should Brewers Move Carlos Lee Now?

The Brewers are only four games out of the Central race and two and a half behind the Reds in the WC race. They figure to get much stronger when injured players (Sheets, Ohka, de la Santos, and Weeks) return.

Do they still move Carlos Lee or do they hold him and take the two compensatory first round picks?

I think they should hold but am now hoping they move him.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Whoa! Should Brewers Move Carlos Lee Now?

Actuallly, I think the Brewers could get real scary if they turned Carlos Lee into a pitcher. They've got Corey Hart waiting in the wings, plus Nelson Cruz and Tony Gwynn Jr. (and Gabe Gross is just hanging out on the bench).

Capuano's been good all season, Davis seems to be coming around and Bush has been pitching well of late too. If that team can right its pitching, it's got plenty of offense even without Lee.
    Last edited by M2; 06-28-2006 at 12:45 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I don't think they can afford to lose Lee's power if they want to compete. If they want Hart in the game, sit Brady Clark who's hitting .279/.379/.341 with no speed.

When they get Sheets and Ohka back, they'll have the pitching they need. They still have nearly a month to move Lee if they fall out of it, but they can't move him for a pitcher that would be sufficiently impactful to offset his loss.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Maybe they should turn Lee into a third baseman?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The market for trading guys coming into free agency has really become a buyers market in the last few years. The A's have had a lot of success letting those guys go to free agency and getting compensatory picks. I expect the A's will do it this with Zito as well. Having said that it is way to early for the Brewers to bail considering their long playoff drought.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    If that team can right its pitching, it's got plenty of offense even without Lee.
    Lee does give their lineup a nice right/left balance that they might miss without him.

Personally I think the Brewers might be the WC favorite and could still win the division if they can get a healthy Sheets back after the AS break.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Lee does give their lineup a nice right/left balance that they might miss without him.

Personally I think the Brewers might be the WC favorite and could still win the division if they can get a healthy Sheets back after the AS break.

I thought they were goners, but they've been holding their ground while the Cards, Reds and Astros have been losing.

The key IMO has been getting some fresh arms from their farm system to prop up the staff.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    I thought they were goners, but they've been holding their ground while the Cards, Reds and Astros have been losing.

The key IMO has been getting some fresh arms from their farm system to prop up the staff.
    Right, I've been so busy watching other things develop that I didn't notice them creep up on the division and wildcard leads.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Maybe they should turn Lee into a third baseman?
    A scrappy vet who knows how to win?
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?