Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds extend Narron/Krivsky's Contracts

Reds extend Narron/Krivsky's Contracts

Narron through 2008 with option for 09, Krivsky option for 08 was picked up already.

per Reds.com:

CINCINNATI -- The Reds have been surprise playoff contenders this season, but chief executive officer Bob Castellini didn't wait for the race's final outcome to reward his two main architects.

On Wednesday, Castellini announced that manager Jerry Narron received a two-year contract extension through the 2008 season, with a club option for 2009. General manager Wayne Krivsky's option for 2008 was also picked up.

Terms of the deals were not immediately known. The Reds have scheduled a 4:30 p.m. ET press conference at Great American Ball Park.

Although several preseason predictions had them at or near the bottom of their division, the Reds are 41-36 this season and in second place, 1 1/2 games behind the Cardinals in the National League Central. Cincinnati also holds a one-game lead in the still-early NL Wild Card race.

Narron took over as manager on June 21, 2005, originally on an interim basis, after former skipper Dave Miley was dismissed. The interim tag was removed in September when Narron was signed to a one-year deal with a mutual option for 2007.

The 50-year-old has an 87-82 (.515) record in 169 games as Reds manager.

Castellini hired Krivsky on Feb. 8, just days before 2006 Spring Training opened. Krivsky wasted little time trying to improve a team coming off five straight losing seasons.

Three of baseball's best trades this season have been Krivsky moves. In March, right-hander Bronson Arroyo was acquired from Boston for slugger Wily Mo Pena. Catcher David Ross also came over from the Padres for a Minor Leaguer.

And in early April, the Reds got second baseman Brandon Phillips from the Indians for a Minor League pitcher after Phillips' prospect status had faded in Cleveland and he was designated for assignment.

All three acquisitions had detractors at the time, but all have since posted All-Star-caliber numbers this season. Arroyo has won nine games and has a 2.58 ERA. Ross, who is batting .320, is tied for first among NL catchers with 10 homers. Phillips is batting .308 with seven homers and 43 RBIs.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds extend Narron/Krivsky's Contracts

Wow.

I think Cast had an itchy trigger finger on this one. What if we collapse in 2nd half and finish near the bottom of the divison anyway?

Krivsky I won't really argue with.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-28-2006 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

No problem on the Krivsky extension.

Narron, not really pleased with, at all. It doesn't seem necessary at this point and as reds44 noted, this team could colapse in the second half.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Blah, more Narron - yippee.

Rich Aurilia must be happy, he just found himself two more years worth of paydays and batting cleanup.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

El Senor Aurilia está feliz. El Senor Encarnación está Triste.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Good move, bad move.

As much as I dislike the Narron extension, at least this early in the season, could this be reinforcement from Cast to not be conservative this year worrying about job security? Bob certainly knows how to manage managers (in business) and maybe this is his vote of confidence. Or, a particulary long paid vacation if they fail . Maybe he's telling them with this contract to not be sheep and be agressive in both of their capacities. Looking for some silver lining with the managerial extension.
    This place use to be fun

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I think it's a good move. Sets some stability. Maybe Krivs can get a FA or two this offseason.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

It mentions in the article that we gave Cleveland a minor league pitcher for Phillips. Anyone know who that pitcher was. I was gone for a week or two and wasn't aware it had been announced.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    It mentions in the article that we gave Cleveland a minor league pitcher for Phillips. Anyone know who that pitcher was. I was gone for a week or two and wasn't aware it had been announced.
    Jeff Stevens
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Seems a bit early but I do like stability.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Can't argue with the results Narron has produced over his "season"s worth of games that he's managed for the Reds.

If nothing else, this ensures that the front office and coaching staff can go into the offseason knowing that everyone will be around this year and the next.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

love the pick up on kriv, but the narron extention is disappointing...i think we could have done better...

I wonder how much input Krivsky had in the Narron extension.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I wonder how much input Krivsky had in the Narron extension.
    Judging from previous personel move, I'd say he was heavily involved.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?