Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Camilo Vazquez Update (as of 6/28/06)

Camilo Vazquez Update (as of 7/29/06)

Camilo Vazquez is my other "adopted" prospect. Vazquez is a 22yr old lefty hurler out of Cuba. The Reds attempted to start him in Dayton when he was 19 and he failed to the tune of a 5+ ERA. Evidently, he must have hurt himself the following year because he didn't do a lot of pitching in 2004. Last year the Reds let him have another shot at Dayton and he didn't fair much better than he had before. On the bright side, Camilo managed to K a decent number of batters (88 in 99 innings) but also gave out 62 free passes.

This year Vazquez started out the year in Sarasota. Thus far, he seems to have improved his control a little bit but still leads the S-Reds in walks. His Prospect Profile page compiled originally by BuckeyeRedleg can be found here. In that thread, Doc Scott reports that Vazquez was touching 95 on the gun in Spring Training which is cause enough to keep your eyes open. His numbers on the year so far:

Code:
    Name            W  L  ERA   IP   H  BB K
    Camilo Vazquez  4  4  3.97  79.1 80 28 75
    He still has strong K numbers but has been a little on the hittable side for a kid with his type of control. I wonder if it speaks to the quality of his secondary stuff? Still, not bad numbers thus far.
    Last edited by halcyon; 07-29-2006 at 05:50 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Camilo Vazquez Update (as of 6/28/06)

I don't know why but I've always liked this guy. Hopefully he can continue to improve and see some time in AA before the year is out.
    Go BLUE!!!

Camilo had TJ surgery in 2004.

Re: Camilo Vazquez Update (as of 7/7/06)

[As of 7/7/06]

It looks like Vazquez got one more start in A+ before he was promoted to Chattanooga. He hasn't pitched yet there (soon, I would think) but he will probably slot into Travis Chick's spot in the rotation. Here are Vazquez's updated numbers on the year. Hope he dials it up and keeps it under control in Chattanooga!

Code:
    Camilo Vazquez  4  5  4.00  83.1 84 32 79
    Last edited by halcyon; 07-07-2006 at 01:36 PM.

[As of 7/29/06]

So far, Vazquez has had a very effective debut in Chattanooga. Although he has remained hittable I think his control has been slightly better and his K rate has increased just a shade. If anyone has any ancillary news about Camilo that I've missed, feel free to share it. I've listed his A+ numbers above his AA numbers for review.

Code:
    Sarasota
    Camilo Vazquez  4  5  4.00  83.1 84 32 79
    Code:
    Chattanooga
    Camilo Vazquez  2  1  2.55  24.2 25  7 25

Turn Off Ads?