Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey Idea....

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Homer Bailey Idea....

Let's say Eric Milton continues to do what he has done the past couple of starts for the next couple of starts.....not get it done.

DL him for 15 days and bring up Homer Bailey for 3 starts.

If he does the job, you put Milton in the bullpen and ride Homer Bailey.

If he doesn't, you send him back down and put Milton back in his rotation spot, unless of course, a trade is made to bring in another starter, or whatever.

Just a thought. Play with it...tweak it....run it into the ground....
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-28-2006 at 02:45 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey Idea....

I dont like it. He is on a roll right now, we need him to come back down to norms, or continue to go nuts like this to bring him up. Say he comes up and gets blasted. His confidence is shot. Can't do it then just send him down. I think when we bring him up the first time, it is for good.

On the surface it seems tempting but I don't think it's a very good idea.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Let's say Eric Milton continues to do what he has done the past couple of starts for the next couple of starts.....not get it done.

If he doesn't, you send him back down and put Milton back in his rotation spot, unless of course, a trade is made to bring in another starter, or whatever.

Just a thought. Play with it...
    I see too many potential negatives to outweight the potential positives.

1.) He fails -- ruins self-confidence, fan's, management's confidence in him. AND starts his arbitration clock at 20 y.o.

2.) He succeeds -- gives "fools gold" performance of a 20 year old who is not yet ready then comes back down to earth in the time period in which he should be in AA or AAA (Think Ryan Wagner here) AND starts his arbitration clock at 20 y.o.

3.) He succeeds and turns into a bonafide MLB pitcher AND starts his arbitration clock at 20 y.o.

I, for one, am not that desperate... yet.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I'm a dummy

Ryan Wagner, closer of the future..... err...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I dont like it. He is on a roll right now, we need him to come back down to norms, or continue to go nuts like this to bring him up. Say he comes up and gets blasted. His confidence is shot. Can't do it then just send him down. I think when we bring him up the first time, it is for good.
    my thoughts exactly and that is why the angels are not the smartest right now in dealing with the Jered Weaver situation, he dominated and should have stayed up....that is the only likely comparison I can think of right off the top o my head.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Ryan Wagner, closer of the future..... err...
    He didn't get this much time in the minors.....

...not sure if that means anything, but I'm just sayin'

He didn't get this much time in the minors.....
    That's right he had several years of school. Wagner was older when drafted than Bailey is right now.

I think when Homer is brought up he should be eased into the major leagues in middle relief. This is how the Reds used Jose Rijo after acquiring him from Oakland and how Houston used Roy Oswalt, just to name a couple. This protects him from getting creamed and God knows we need relievers right now. I can't see management stomaching an $8mill middle reliever either.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs
    That's right he had several years of school. Wagner was older when drafted than Bailey is right now.

I'm on a roll in this thread

I actually agree with the suggested timetable. I'm just saying that you don't want to do any of this with blinders on. As soon as MLB hitters realized Wagner couldn't reliably throw the slider for a strike, they just sat on his fastball. Homer has looked great, but let's make sure he's proving, if not improving himself, along the way. He needs to be challenged to continue to develop, but you don't want to start his arb clock and then realize he's got a major hole or two.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If Bailey is as good as advertised then I see nothing wrong with calling him up for a spot start. One shelling in the Majors is not going to "ruin" the guys confidence. If he throws 96 then he can throw 96 in the majors. I dont know his phyche but Doc Gooden was pretty good at 20 and so was Kerry Wood call him up lets see this kid. If Bailey can help us win now then call him up dont worry about starting the abritration clock, thats loser/small market mentality.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw

Just a thought. Play with it...tweak it....run it into the ground....
    The thing though is the Reds are 1.5 back of the Cards and lead the Wildcard. Do you take a gamble on Bailey who yes has pitched real well in the minors at the big league level or do you stay with Milton who has pitched better this year compared to last year. Milton will pitch his next start at home against the Indians and then on the road in Atlanta (Home: 5.73 ERA Away: 4.40 ERA). I just don't know if you demote Milton to the pen and bring up Bailey. I think Homer will get his shot when the roster increases later this year but till then I think they are just going to see how he pitches through the minors. If Milton does faulter I would DL him but bring up Dumatrait.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    If Bailey is as good as advertised then I see nothing wrong with calling him up for a spot start. One shelling in the Majors is not going to "ruin" the guys confidence. If he throws 96 then he can throw 96 in the majors. I dont know his phyche but Doc Gooden was pretty good at 20 and so was Kerry Wood call him up lets see this kid. If Bailey can help us win now then call him up dont worry about starting the abritration clock, thats loser/small market mentality.
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...an-Reith.shtml

Pitching is more than just throwing 96 mph.

Turn Off Ads?