Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo starting the AS game?

Hybrid View

Bronson Arroyo starting the AS game?

Does he start the Allstar game now? His ERA is a good .2 lower than any other qualifying pitchers in all of baseball, and he is second in the NL in wins. I don't see how he's not the guy. Thoughts?
    Go BLUE!!!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Bronson Arroyo starting the AS game?

He's probably earned it, but I'd rather keep his arm ready for important games...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    He's probably earned it, but I'd rather keep his arm ready for important games...

I don't want to see any Red throw 1 pitch in the ASG. They can attend all they want, but just represent us in spirit, not in performance.

Nope, he pitches Sunday in Atlanta, the last game before the AS Break.

He won't start - he'll make an apperance.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

At this point he'd be in line to get it if his schedule was such. I don't know how the schedules work, but I'm guessing it'll be Brandon Webb or Tom Glavine. The NL has about 10 starters who are about equal in terms of effectiveness right now: Oswalt, Penny, Pedro, Young, Zambrano, Schmidt will all probably make the squad. My money is on Glavine or Pedro b/c of their veteran status.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    My money is on Glavine or Pedro b/c of their veteran status.

How scrappy

I'd rather he didn't (see Armstrong, Jack).
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

My guess is Glavine. He has pitched extremely well this year and has earned the start, IMO. With Arroyo pitching Sunday, that kind of takes him out of the mix. My other two choices would be Pedro and Penny. Not sure what their schedules are like. I know Pedro throws tonight, so that would mean MON or TUE should be his next scheduled start which falls in line with the AS Game.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Be nice to see him pitch an inning. He deserves it.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I think at this point both Arroyo and now Harang deserve to be all-stars. 3.45 ERA with 9 wins, lots of innings and K's. This is what they will look at when selecting pitchers.

The only guys who have better numbers than that combined are:
    Webb, Arroyo, Capuano, Glavine, and Penny.

Guys like Carpenter and Schmidt are behind in wins.

NOTE: I don't actually think wins (and not neccessarily ERA) is a good metric in evaluating pitchers but everyone in baseball seems to.

I doubt he starts, but I think he gets the win in an NL upset
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

A start in the ASG might be just the thing to keep BA from providing soundbites about his fond memories of Boston. It's not something he would have had the opportunity to do if he had stayed there and it would help him focus on how much better off he is now than he was back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    A start in the ASG might be just the thing to keep BA from providing soundbites about his fond memories of Boston. It's not something he would have had the opportunity to do if he had stayed there and it would help him focus on how much better off he is now than he was back then.
    I think the "I never wanted to leave Boston" crap would be worse if he started the All Star game. The national media would be on him like stink on garbage if he started the game.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I see names like Penny and Pedro.

But no mention of Harang.

Aaron Harang who is tied for the NL lead in complete games (3), Tied for the most shut outs (2) Is third in the NL in K's, and has the same ERA as Pedro Martinez (3.45). Oh and BTW he's tied for second in W's too (9).

But Harang gets nary a mention. No love for the big righty. He's going to get two more starts before the ASB, I'm betting both are wins. (Milwaukee and Atlanta)
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I see names like Penny and Pedro.

But no mention of Harang.

Aaron Harang who is tied for the NL lead in complete games (3), Tied for the most shut outs (2) Is third in the NL in K's, and has the same ERA as Pedro Martinez (3.45). Oh and BTW he's tied for second in W's too (9).

But Harang gets nary a mention. No love for the big righty. He's going to get two more starts before the ASB, I'm betting both are wins. (Milwaukee and Atlanta)
    This is a very good point actually.

Out of curiosity, who's tied with him for complete games and shut-outs? I'm too lazy to look this up.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?