Thread: Brett Myers whattya think?

Re: Brett Myers whattya think?

Agreed.

Can you imagine a rotation of:
    Harang, Arroyo, Myers, Bailey, Milton

Then we could use Lohse, & etc. for the bullpen

2. Turn Off Ads?

The day the Reds continue employing or trade for a player who has hit his wife is the day I lose a great deal of respect for anyone in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    The day the Reds continue employing or trade for a player who has hit his wife is the day I lose a great deal of respect for anyone in charge.
    I agree with this side of the argument when it comes to Meyers. I just couldn't, in good faith, root on a pitcher who I know likes to beat on his wife?

Only when he's drunk...that makes it ok apparently.
    Go Gators!

I think that a man who hits any woman is wrong but I think Brett Myers could be of great use to the team's starting rotation. The Reds need anything they can to get over the hump and into the playoffs. A couple of Cincinnati examples are the UC Bearcats and the Bengals. Bob Huggins built his program by taking in college players who had talent but also had troubled pasts. While the players sometimes caused major trouble the Bearcats were turned into a perennial March Madness team from being terrible. The same thing can said for the Bengals and what Marvin Lewis has done with players. Yes there are problems when you have talented and trouble-making players such as Chris Henry, but the Bengals aren't the Bungles because of moves like this as a collective whole. I hope the Reds would take the opportunity to get a pitcher of this caliber no matter his past. I would gain a great deal of respect for the Reds if they made a move like this to improve the Reds.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Yet some people idolize a certain former Cincinnati Red who wore #14, has a certain hit record, and also commit the worst crime in baseball.

Not singling you out, johngalt, but my question is would you rather have a wife beater, or would you rather have someone who bet on baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Yet some people idolize a certain former Cincinnati Red who wore #14, has a certain hit record, and also commit the worst crime in baseball.
    I cannot equate betting on baseball to a 6'4", 240 lb. man beating on his wife who is a third of his size. I'm not sure how you can compare the two, one is a major real life issue while the other is about a game.

Not singling you out, johngalt, but my question is would you rather have a wife beater, or would you rather have someone who bet on baseball?
    I don't think it's fair to compare someone with a gambling addiction - which is a sickness - to someone with anger issues who drags his wife and the mother of his children by the hair and assaults her.

Would I want a player or manager who was found guilty of betting on baseball to play for or manage my team? I dunno. It would probably make me very uncomfortable. But I can tell you unequivocally that I would never want to see my team actively pursuing someone accused of what Myers was.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I think that a man who hits any woman is wrong but I think Brett Myers could be of great use to the team's starting rotation. The Reds need anything they can to get over the hump and into the playoffs. A couple of Cincinnati examples are the UC Bearcats and the Bengals. Bob Huggins built his program by taking in college players who had talent but also had troubled pasts. While the players sometimes caused major trouble the Bearcats were turned into a perennial March Madness team from being terrible. The same thing can said for the Bengals and what Marvin Lewis has done with players. Yes there are problems when you have talented and trouble-making players such as Chris Henry, but the Bengals aren't the Bungles because of moves like this as a collective whole. I hope the Reds would take the opportunity to get a pitcher of this caliber no matter his past. I would gain a great deal of respect for the Reds if they made a move like this to improve the Reds.
    I don't buy into the win-at-any-cost mentality. There are costs. I don't think I could root for Brett Meyers, even if he took the Reds to the World Series. It would sour everything for me.

It's tough for me because I believe that people should be allowed second chances, and I also believe that people's personal lives and problems should be kept separate from work. What Meyers did does not inherently affect his pitching or even his effort as a teammate, and I have supported some real numbskulls on the field at times (though never a wife-beater). But in this situation, it's just too close. He definitely did this, it was definitely brutal, things like this run in patterns (there's very little chance this was a one-time thing) and there hasn't been enough time since it happened for him to learn how to fully deal with his anger. If this organization, knowing all this, decided to acquire him RIGHT NOW, I just couldn't support it. If five years were to go by and he had publicly acknowledged his problem and made efforts to correct it, I might feel differently. But not now.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Fans love Ryan Freel and hes had 2 DUIs since joining the Reds.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I think there's a significant line drawn between domestic abuse and gambling on games, especially since there's no proof to show that his gambling effected the scores of any games. Give me the guy with the gambling problem every time.

Or what about Freel, who has had multiple DUI/drinking problems?

When someone drives drunk, they are in a deadly weapon. They could actually kill someone.

I'm not condoning hitting your wife, but apparently the couple worked it out. His wife said he's a good father and this is not an everyday occurance. If she's happy with the relationship, who are we to judge. Domestic altercations are often complex problems that involve fault from both sides.

And it appears the earlier charge of Myers "dragging her by the hair" were exaggerated. The other article said 'pulling her hair' which could mean just about anything.. Sure violence against women is bad, but the press loves to overexaggerate what happened. Again, not that a soft punch is ok vs a hard one.

I'd love to add Myers to our team, especially on the cheap. Baseball and the public seem to have forgiven Lugo (who also had a charge of assaulting a woman). Let's buy low on Myers.

Most people on this board have repeatedly stated they don't care about what a player does off the field.. that is, until it hits one of their hot buttons. I'm not singling out anyone either. I do it myself. It's human nature.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    When someone drives drunk, they are in a deadly weapon. They could actually kill someone.
    I would NEVER condone drunk driving, I'm actually kind of insane about it. But there are two things that make this a little different in my eyes: 1) your faculties are diminished when you're drunk, making you believe you're capable of more than you are and causing you to lose sense that what you're doing could hurt someone. There's no way that a man, even drunk, is under any delusions that hitting his wife isn't hurting her. The very INTENT is to hurt. 2) (and more important) Ryan Freel admitted his mistake, he was sentenced and has undergone treatment. Myers's comment on his behavior? "I've got nothing to say about it." He has not sought nor undergone treatment for his anger.

And it appears the earlier charge of Myers "dragging her by the hair" were exaggerated. The other article said 'pulling her hair' which could mean just about anything.. Sure violence against women is bad, but the press loves to overexaggerate what happened. Again, not that a soft punch is ok vs a hard one.
    The 911 transcripts were released to the press. Here are samples of two separate calls made by bystanders:

"There's a guy like beating up his girlfriend."

"I got a guy smacking a girl around right in front of the Hynes Convention Center. She's crying. She's got no shoes on," a man reported. "He's a pretty big guy ... and he's hitting her hard."

the man who made the latter call was a former Marine who later spoke to the press. His comments then were "The whole thing just irks me. It irks my friends. It's just disgusting. He hauled off and smacked her across the face. This wasn't an argument. This was bad."

Doesn't really sound like a "soft punch" to me. Not that I see how that would be "ok" either.

It is a hot button. It should be. Unless he takes steps to change his behavior, this is indicative of questionable conduct both on and off the field.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 10-06-2006 at 03:29 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

"We root for laundry" - Jerry Seinfeld
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Fans love Ryan Freel and hes had 2 DUIs since joining the Reds.
    This is essentially my point.

DUIs, spousal abuse, a drug problem, what have you in terms of personal life problems don't concern me as much as someone who violates the integrity of the game.

I'm not saying that I support spousal abuse, DUIs, drug problems, etc, but I'm saying I'd much rather have someone on my team with those demons/vices than someone who bets on the game and commits the worst crime in baseball.

Player X beats his wife, he doesn't hurt the game, he only hurts himself and probably his marriage. Player Y bets on the game, he destroys himself and the integrity of the game.

Turn Off Ads?