Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Milton's legs fragile?

Are Milton's legs fragile?

Theory.

Sliding into second last night hurt his knee. He didn't pitch as effectively afterward, and went from a decent performance to a Milton of old performance.

Discuss.

Am I just "wanting" Milton to be a good pitcher so much that I'm seeing things that aren't, or is there a possibility that his legs are that fragile that a slide into second will throw him off?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Eric Milton

Is it true that Eric Milton is the Reds highest paid pitcher? I know he has had injuries since he came to the Reds. Last night, it looked like he was throwing batting practice to the Royals. The announcers mentioned that he might but hurt again after sliding into 2nd base. He is very fragile and non-consistant.

Re: Eric Milton

Yes, he's the highest paid pitcher...by far. He's making $9.83 million this year. Hopefully he's not hurt again because we need him to pitch similar to how he was earlier this year to have a chance.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Re: Milton

Not a bad theory at all. Could be true. Hopefully he's not hurt. We need him to pitch well. I just don't understand Milton at all. He's either pitches exceptionally well or absolutely abysmal. He's had 7 games where he's given up 3 runs or less. In the other 4 games he given up 5, 6, 6, and 9 earned runs. Not consistent enough for a $9.83 million dollar pitcher. It'd be nice if he just gave up 3-4 runs over 6-8 innings every time. Not great, but good enough for this team.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Not a bad theory and if that's true, then lets unload him on an AL team. Either that or he needs to be told not to be overly aggressive on the basepaths.

Old Red Guard Reject

Before he slid into second though he grooved a fastball to Brown for the 1st HR. I thought he should have been pulled when the first baserunner reached after the third HR to leadoff the sixth. (Also, I thought someone should have been up in the pen at this point as well) Maybe this is just not the case with MLB, but when I coached summer league baseball, I alway went by the "unwritten" rule with pitchers with a lead as to when to remove them:

After 5 inninngs, do not let the tying run come to the plate. Thus, Milton should have been pulled after he allowed the first baserunner after the HR in the sixth.

Old Red Guard Reject

Eric Milton p
    3 years/$25.5M (2005-07), plus incentives

$4M signing bonus
    05:$4M, 06:$8.5M, 07:$9M
    may opt out of final season (2007) by hitting incentives
    4 years/$21M (2001-04), plus $0.85M incentives
    01:$2.15M, 02:$3.85, 03:$6M, 04:$9M
    agent: Casey Close, IMG
    ML service: 8.000

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    Before he slid into second though he grooved a fastball to Brown for the 1st HR. I thought he should have been pulled when the first baserunner reached after the third HR to leadoff the sixth. (Also, I thought someone should have been up in the pen at this point as well) Maybe this is just not the case with MLB, but when I coached summer league baseball, I alway went by the "unwritten" rule with pitchers with a lead as to when to remove them:

After 5 inninngs, do not let the tying run come to the plate. Thus, Milton should have been pulled after he allowed the first baserunner after the HR in the sixth.
    You may have had a better bullpen in summer league baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    Eric Milton p
    may opt out of final season (2007) by hitting incentives
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that not only will he not hit these incentives, if he did, he'd still be here for 2007 anyway. Does anyone know what the incentives are? Or is it a moot point because we're stuck with him no matter what?

Old Red Guard Reject

Did anyone else think that Standridge didn't look like he was loosen up yet when he came in?

How many Eric Milton threads are we going to have today?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Milton was not driving to the plate last night, which is an ongoing problem when he starts stinking it up. I don't think the knee will allow him to drive down and bend, which on most occasions, ends with him leaving the ball up in the strike zone. Last night, he looked very much the same as he did last season. I don't think it was a result of the slide into second. I think the knee is just not able to support the mechanics he needs to employ to be successful.

I was afraid this would happen to Milton as the season wore on. If there is anyone willing to take him on right now, it would be the perfect time to unload him. I am not too optimistic about that happening, as the scouts are probably seeing the same thing I am.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that not only will he not hit these incentives, if he did, he'd still be here for 2007 anyway. Does anyone know what the incentives are? Or is it a moot point because we're stuck with him no matter what?
    It's a player option. He can either become a free agent or make 9 million dollars in 2007. We can all imagine what he'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    I will go out on a limb and say that it is a moot point regardless...we are going to be stuck with him.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Milton was not driving to the plate last night, which is an ongoing problem when he starts stinking it up. I don't think the knee will allow him to drive down and bend, which on most occasions, ends with him leaving the ball up in the strike zone. Last night, he looked very much the same as he did last season. I don't think it was a result of the slide into second. I think the knee is just not able to support the mechanics he needs to employ to be successful.

I was afraid this would happen to Milton as the season wore on. If there is anyone willing to take him on right now, it would be the perfect time to unload him. I am not too optimistic about that happening, as the scouts are probably seeing the same thing I am.

I think you've hit the nail on the head Randy, the legs failing to support the mechanics is the best analysis yet.

Turn Off Ads?