Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds launch discount ticket program

Re: Reds launch discount ticket program

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    They should PAY you for eating the hod dogs
    I wish they would because I love 'em!!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

22nd out of 30 teams...absolutely pathetic...

How bout $1 beer night?
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    And consider the perception of it also. Under Lindner you got a free ticket, but then had to come to the stadium, pay for food and watch a horrible team (Forget about bringing food to the ballpark as most people are too lazy to do this). Yes, they got a free ticket but they can still gripe about the food and the team.

With the 4 for $48 deal, while you are expending $48 you are also geting some food for "free" which seems to make it a better deal in the minds of some. Wow...look what I got extra! It's like when you offer a rebate for a product, most people don't bother to send it in. But put a large package item on the shelf with a big sign that says 15% more free (even though they are paying more for the total item) and people eat it up.

And, in the Reds case, they now get to see a better team and one that has a hope of being even better in the future. All around I can see why people would like this better than just being handed a free voucher.
    What you're really saying is "people are lemmings."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

What you're really saying is "people are lemmings."
    Lemmings in search of free stuff....
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy
    How bout $1 beer night?
    Nope. In Chicago maybe.

Why dumb down a product you know someone will pay top dollar for anyway?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago
    22nd out of 30 teams...absolutely pathetic...
    Yeah, but at least the new regime is trying to do something about it rather than blaming the fans for not showing up to watch a sub par product.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Where did this notion that the old regime continually blamed the fans come from? I think it originated from one news story in which Lindner said that it would be hard to raise payroll unless attendance went up. How that was spun into "The Reds Blame the Fans" and continually perpetuated is something I'll never understand.

I'm not giving the old ownership a free pass (because getting new ownership is the best thing that could have happened to the team), but it amazes me how people cling to this notion. Does anyone have a link to the definitive story in which management blames the fans? I'd like to see what the context was.

I just really hope that new ownership doesn't come to the same conclusion the old ownership did: not even winning baseball in Cincinnati will affect attendance that much. The fact that the Reds are ranked 22nd in attendance while on pace to make the playoffs boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JEA
    Where did this notion that the old regime continually blamed the fans come from? I think it originated from one news story in which Lindner said that it would be hard to raise payroll unless attendance went up. How that was spun into "The Reds Blame the Fans" and continually perpetuated is something I'll never understand.

I'm not giving the old ownership a free pass (because getting new ownership is the best thing that could have happened to the team), but it amazes me how people cling to this notion. Does anyone have a link to the definitive story in which management blames the fans? I'd like to see what the context was.
    Redread could probably give you chapter and verse. And we're mainly talking about John Allen rather than Carl Lindner.

Where did this notion that the old regime continually blamed the fans come from?
    You're kidding, right?

John Allen dwelled on this CONSTANTLY! There are numerous threads about it on this board.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    You're kidding, right?

John Allen dwelled on this CONSTANTLY! There are numerous threads about it on this board.
    Uh nope, not kidding.

I found numerous threads were posters were dwelling on it, but I can't find any old stories where Lindner or Allen were the ones dwelling on it or complaining about it.

I'm just wondering where it all originated since, as you mentioned, there are numerous threads. I see the smoke but can't find the fire.

I just want to be able to have a source for where they were speaking out against the fans. I'd like to write a letter to the editor or something in favor of what the new ownership has done, but I can't find any sources for the complaints about the fans from the old ownership.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated.
    Last edited by JEA; 06-30-2006 at 12:28 PM.

PM Redread. I'll bet he'll be able to help you there.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Uh nope, not kidding.

You might find something from a search at the enquier or post.

2 things stand out to me (paraphased as best as I can recall)

1) Allen calling one of our draft picks a waste of money and then the Reds having subsequent drafts that became all about signability.

2) Allen was asked if the Reds would add a player or two if they were in contention. He groused about attendance saying the fans had to show up first if they expected the Reds to be able to add any players.

GL

I found numerous threads were posters were dwelling on it, but I can't find any old stories where Lindner or Allen were the ones dwelling on it or complaining about it.
    There were numerous articles at the time and every time he was interviewed on the local news, he brought it up. That's why posters on the board were complaining about it so much.

Turn Off Ads?