Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Great article on Adam Dunn

Re: Great article on Adam Dunn

"In Hammond and Weathers' defense, they get a groundball by Emil Brown through the infield and you get a bloop single into right field that's fair," said Narron, who got a perfect ninth inning from closer Todd Coffey (seven saves). "For us to be successful, everybody in the bullpen has to do well. We'll keep using guys and try our best to go with somebody that's hot out there."

God almighty...he just doesn't get it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Team Boone, you know those articles are lies. Jason Larue and Dunn were really out fishing during batting practice while David Ross was busy charting pitches, helping to make policy directives for the World Bank and restoring antique paintings at the same time.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    "In Hammond and Weathers' defense, they get a groundball by Emil Brown through the infield and you get a bloop single into right field that's fair," said Narron, who got a perfect ninth inning from closer Todd Coffey (seven saves). "For us to be successful, everybody in the bullpen has to do well. We'll keep using guys and try our best to go with somebody that's hot out there."

God almighty...he just doesn't get it.
    He didn't say what the options are if no one is hot.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    He didn't say what the options are if no one is hot.
    He's implying that Hammond and Weathers are good pitchers victimized by bad luck. You tend to get a lot of bad luck when you throw a straight 80-mph fastball to major league hitters (even the Royals).

What that means to me: the WHY boys (Weathers, Hammond & Yan) will be continuing to pitch in high-leverage situations.

Edit: WHY is a high-powered international crime organization that for some nefarious reason has decided to foment revolution and disrupt world markets by infiltrating the Reds bullpen and refusing to get anyone out. Their "special powers" include a 71-mph changeup, having no chin, and sweating a lot. A special task force, involving Jack Bauer and Chris Denorfia, is on the case--but will they make it in time?
    Last edited by dsmith421; 06-30-2006 at 12:42 PM.

What I got tired of hearing last night were Welsh and Grande continuing to make up excuses for the poor performance of Weathers and Hammond.

"Well, sometimes they just land in the wrong place."

"Sometimes your best stuff just gets hit."

"That pitch was right where he wanted it, but the batter was still able to hit it."

How about "You know for the better part of a month the two guys the Reds have run out there tonight have really stunk up the joint. This result isn't at all surprising."
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

This is what is commonly known as "bad pitching".

My best stuff always gets hit. That's why I don't pitch for a major league team.

"That pitch was right where he wanted it, but the batter was still able to hit it."
    Then he should really work on that where he "wants" it thing.

Did he really say all those things?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    He's implying that Hammond and Weathers are good pitchers victimized by bad luck. You tend to get a lot of bad luck when you throw a straight 80-mph fastball to major league hitters (even the Royals).

What that means to me: the WHY boys (Weathers, Hammond & Yan) will be continuing to pitch in high-leverage situations.
    Narron isn't the type of guy who is going to say someone really stinks out there. They are his guys, for better or for worse, and he is going to continue to say nice things about them in public. Actions speak louder than words. Remember when Coffey was inserted into the closer's spot after Weathers had some bad outings? It just happened and Narron basically said that Weathers had pitched a couple of innings the night before and Coffey was fresh and they went with him that night but Weathers may be back in there. Ever since then Coffey has been the closer and Weathers has been a set up guy. If the Reds have a small lead this weekend and the 7th or 8th innings roll around and Belisle is in ther instead of Weathers or Hammond, you have to think that Belisle is the new set up guy and what Narron said didn't amount to a hill of beans. But if Weathers is in there again come the late innings, then we know Narron was sincere in his statements.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Did he really say all those things?
    They both did, yes As in, here's Hammond and Weathers pitching their hearts out and throwing well, and the KC batters STILL are somehow able to get hits. Not one word was uttered about the lack of velocity shown by either pitcher, or about how most of the pitches getting hit were hanging breaking balls or "fastballs" left right over the plate. It was a "sometimes you just can't get 'em out" attitude.

And it was both Welsh and Grande, they appeared incredulous that Hammond and Weathers got hit around like they did.

Don't misunderstand, because I thought the performance last night was massivly sucky. But a manager or pitching coach DOES have to use some of these considerations in deciding how well his pitcher did. The results aren't enough to make a judgment.

Again, not necessarily referring to last night, but these statements are absolutely true.

You look to see if a pitcher is hitting his spots. That's command.

You look to see if his stuff is what you expect it to be, if his velocity is down.

Many, MANY times you'll make a perfect pitch and get hammered. That's the nature of pitching.

To properly judge how a pitcher did, you have to know what he was trying to do, did he hit his spot, and did he have his expected movement.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Don't misunderstand, because I thought the performance last night was massivly sucky. But a manager or pitching coach DOES have to use some of these considerations in deciding how well his pitcher did. The results aren't enough to make a judgment.

Again, not necessarily referring to last night, but these statements are absolutely true.

You look to see if a pitcher is hitting his spots. That's command.

You look to see if his stuff is what you expect it to be, if his velocity is down.

Many, MANY times you'll make a perfect pitch and get hammered. That's the nature of pitching.

To properly judge how a pitcher did, you have to know what he was trying to do, did he hit his spot, and did he have his expected movement.
    at some point, though, those individual activities do form a trend. I think posters are complaining about our fair-haired duo ignoring the trend in their sycophantic platitudinal apologetics.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    at some point, though, those individual activities do form a trend.

If it's a trend, then their best stuff isn't enough to make it in the bigs.

I think posters are complaining about our fair-haired duo ignoring the trend in their sycophantic platitudinal apologetics.
    Hey, you know me. I'm all about smacking down sycophantic platitudinal apologetics.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    If it's a trend, then their best stuff isn't enough to make it in the bigs.

Hey, you know me. I'm all about smacking down sycophantic platitudinal apologetics.

somebody got a thesaurus for their birthday!
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR
    somebody got a thesaurus for their birthday!
    nah. I actually talk like that. It's great fun at parties.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    at some point, though, those individual activities do form a trend. I think posters are complaining about our fair-haired duo ignoring the trend in their sycophantic platitudinal apologetics.
    Well, not those exact words per se... But, yes, that's what I'm referring to. You can look at a pitcher like Arroyo or Harang, and if their veolcity is good and control is good, but they're still giving up hits, it may just be one of those "ah well" situations.

That wasn't the case last night. Weathers and hammond were CLEARLY not throwing anything that was fooling anyone, Hammond's breaking ball didn't break and his fastball wasn't fast. Ditto Weathers. And that had been the case for quite awhile leading up to last night. It wasn't an anomaly, but to hear Grande and Welsh describe it, they simply couldn't believe that the Royals were hitting the Cy Young-caliber stuff that the dynamic dup were throwing.

Turn Off Ads?