Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: third person

third person

LaRue is unhappy with his situation.

"I expect to play every day," he said. "I signed as a starter. Everyone knows Jason LaRue is a slow starter. It's a long season. You're going to have your ups and downs."

love quotes like this. shows the OCD of a true hitter. I remember when Ryan Freel was picked up and he was speaking this way, like he was Rickey Henderson or something. And he hasn't stopped hitting since. Jason LaRue is obviously set to bust out. When I'm scouting director, I'm definitely drafting more guys with speech affectations. Also guys that think that "everyone knows" about them. Love it.

but Jason needs to go a little more overboard. Wade Boggs would have said, "Wade Boggs expects to play every day. Wade Boggs signed as a starter. Everyone knows Wade Boggs is a slow starter. Wade Boggs is going to have ups and downs."

I'm trying to teach li'l princeton (who's hitting .430 with lots of RBIs, not that hits and RBIs are important in any way) to speak this way when he's at the ballpark. Drives mrs. princeton crazy, which is just value added.
    Last edited by princeton; 06-30-2006 at 08:21 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: third person

Jason LaRue knows it... you know it... the American people know it.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Jimmy likes Elaine...

dman wuz here

LaRue's speech coach

"The Jimmy"

The entire piece:

06-30-2006

LaRue dealing with frustration, uncertainty
    By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

Jason LaRue had his best showing at the plate in weeks Wednesday night, but he was back on the bench Thursday.

He couldn't have been surprised. Bronson Arroyo was on the mound for the Reds, and David Ross has caught each of his starts dating back to the end of spring training. Still, LaRue's frustration grows with each day spent out of the lineup, and that has been the norm lately.

"No doubt, it's hard," said LaRue. "I expect to play every day, that's what they signed me to do. For whatever reason (it hasn't happened), whether it's me struggling with the bat or whatever - I guess probably that would be the reason. But everybody knows that Jason LaRue's always been a slow starter. I get hot about two months into the year."

That has been his pattern. Last season, LaRue hit .172 with no home runs and seven RBIs through his first 28 games and .288 with 14 homers and 53 RBIs in 82 games the rest of the way.

Of course, his turning point last year came in mid-to-late May, and he's well past that mark now. Even after a 2-for-4 night Wednesday that included a couple of singles and a drive to the warning track, LaRue has just four hits in his last 44 at-bats. For the season, he's hitting just .178 with four homers and 11 RBIs.

Despite those unsightly numbers, LaRue deployed a three-pronged argument for more playing time. First, the two-year, $9.1 million deal he signed last offseason - starter's money, to be sure. Second, the fact that defense has always been his first priority and continues to be. Third, that he can't very well hit himself out of his slump if he isn't getting any at-bats.

At the same time, Ross is known for his ability to handle pitchers and he is hardly a liability defensively. Combine that with the All-Star-caliber numbers he has put up at the plate this year (.311, 10 homers, 26 RBIs in 39 games) and it's difficult to concoct an argument against having him in the lineup almost every day.

LaRue acknowledged that Ross has been hot, but stuck to his original reasoning.

"When you're a starter in this game, no matter what, you're playing every single day," he said. "My job first and foremost is to catch first and hit second, and I've always said that. That's what your good catchers do."

Tonight, Elizardo Ramirez will get the ball for the Reds. With the Indians starting right-hander Paul Byrd, chances are Javier Valentin will be behind the plate catching Ramirez.

Narron has tried to match LaRue up with Aaron Harang lately, but Harang's next start isn't until Monday. LaRue might get out there with Joe Mays on Saturday or Eric Milton on Sunday, but he won't know for sure until he gets to the ballpark each of those days. That uncertainty is as difficult as anything for the longest-tenured Red.

"I really don't know what to say," he said. "But the most important thing is, the team's winning."
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....606300321/1027
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If what you're saying is true and people who speak in the 3rd person become better hitters, that means Bob Dole really missed his true calling in life.

Personally, I'm waiting for the first hitter to graduate from 3rd person to the Royal "We" when discussing their situation. "We just don't feel comfortable with our swing, but we're confident that seeing some more pitching will help us."
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

He starts Sunday....imo....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    He starts Sunday....imo....
    That's what I think. (Coincidentally, Sunday is "Jason LaRue John Deere Cap Day" at the ballpark.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    If what you're saying is true and people who speak in the 3rd person become better hitters, that means Bob Dole really missed his true calling in life.

Personally, I'm waiting for the first hitter to graduate from 3rd person to the Royal "We" when discussing their situation. "We just don't feel comfortable with our swing, but we're confident that seeing some more pitching will help us."
    Jimmy Piersoll?

I could deal with "he." Detached self-awareness has got to be good for hitting.

Asked about his hitting problems, Ryan Freel replied, "What's Ryan Freel's problem? he is not keeping his hands back. He wants to hit the ball so far so the game can be over and he can get a 12 pack, that he is in front of the ball. But he will do extra batting practice and also take 10 hits in the head with a 2 by 4."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Don't touch Jimmy!!!

Jimmy can dunk, and Jimmy is not threatened by Hank's sexuality, Jimmy is happy for Hank.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Could we DL him with schizophrenia?
    Go Gators!

I read the title of this thread and I thought it was like the thread a couple years ago where everyone would always talk in the third person for good luck...now that was funny.

if I was making 9 million dollars, the rest of my life, I wouldn't complain all that much. I agree that LaRue should be playing more. The only thing is that I don't really want the Reds to change to much, as far as the starters are concerned. It it ain't broke, don't fix it. The bullpen is broken, but Ross has been a pleasant suprise.

I think that Valentin or LaRue have to be traded soon. I actually think that LaRue could fetch some bullpen help or even a decent prospect. Maybe the Angels would swap Jeff Mathis for him straight up?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?