Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LaRue's feet too big for his shoes?

LaRue's feet too big for his shoes?

LaRue is the latest "star" to refer to himself in the 3rd person. sorry...I've always found this to be very pretentious. And with HIS batting average? Maybe he should stat refering to his ineptitude at the plate in the 3rd person?

LaRue is unhappy with his situation.

"I expect to play every day," he said. "I signed as a starter. Everyone knows Jason LaRue is a slow starter. It's a long season. You're going to have your ups and downs."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Gary Redus Ruled

Re: LaRue's feet too big for his shoes?

Time to move him. Granted his play has hurt his value but time to get rid of him before he becomes clubhouse cancer guy.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redus
    Time to move him. Granted his play has hurt his value but time to get rid of him before he becomes clubhouse cancer guy.
    I'd say the chances of Larue becoming a clubhouse cancer are viturally zero.

GL

Yes, let's get rid of LaRue and put all our eggs in the David Ross basket. Cut the man a freakin' break. He did sign to be the starter, and before the season is over he will be again, and he'll hit his usual 12- 15 HRs, and drive in 60-70 and and hit 250. Argue that those career norms aren't worth the money and you'll have more of an argument than 2 and half months of him not getting to play because David Ross is playing way over his skill set.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

LaRue should get more PT. Having him catch two starters, Ross two and Valentin one is probably the way to go.
    But he has to earn his PT, too. And recognize that "Jason LaRue has been sucking it up with the bat".

Interesting how he became more vocal after getting a couple of hits.
    He just wants to play, with the REDS or someone else.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I think 12-15 HR's, 60-70 RBI, and .250 is great out of a catcher. I really do.

I just don't understand the logic behind paying that 32-year old catcher 9.1 Million when you can get average results (10 HR, 40-50 RBI, .230) from just about any catcher the makes the near the league minimum.

I may have it wrong. Maybe the "average" stats for a catcher are a lot lower, but I just don't see the difference being that great to warrant 4.5 M per season, epecially when you have a low team payroll.

David Ross will not hit .300 and he will not hit 25 HR and not knock in even 80. That's a given. If he plays the whole year, he will be lucky to finish at .250, but even with that said, the power is similar, he call a decent game (like Larue), but he makes a little more than a nickel for every dollar Larue makes and he's three years younger and will be cheap for some time.

I'll take the average defensive catcher that can catch 120 games and put up .250/.320/.420/.740 and pay him pennies on the dollar.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 06-30-2006 at 09:51 AM.

I'm probably more critical of Jason LaRue the player than anybody here, but I have to say I'm really impressed with Jason LaRue off the field. By all rights, he should be whining and complaining about playing time and he has simply NOT done that. One of the unwritten rules in baseball is that you don't lose your job when you are injured. That's essentially what happened to LaRue and he's not complained about it at all.

Jimmy holds grudges. Jimmy's gonna get you, Kramer.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I've always been a big LaRue supporter...he plays the game all out, and plays with intensity. I know that doesn't translate into numbers, but he always is a slow starter. I would say trade Valentin and bring up Denorfia.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I'd say the chances of Larue becoming a clubhouse cancer are viturally zero.

GL
    Don't you mean, "remote"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Gary Redus Ruled

Well peeing and moaning about playing time isnt exactly harmonious is it? Especially when the team is winning.

I don't think he really was talking about his self in 3rd person.....

He just stated... Everyonebody knows Jason LaRue starts slow.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    I don't think he really was talking about his self in 3rd person.....

He just stated... Everyonebody knows Jason LaRue starts slow.
    And that is the very definition of using the thrid person. Someone who is less self-conscious might haved said "Everyone knows I'm a slow starter."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Agree Redus. IF Larue was complaining, he'd be considered a cry baby and cancer, especially considering how hot Ross has been and that the team has been winning, but because he doesn't complain publically, he's a saint?

It's like saying he's a great guy because he doesn't cheat on his wife.

I don't get it.

Here's the full article:

06-30-2006

LaRue dealing with frustration, uncertainty
    By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

Jason LaRue had his best showing at the plate in weeks Wednesday night, but he was back on the bench Thursday.

He couldn't have been surprised. Bronson Arroyo was on the mound for the Reds, and David Ross has caught each of his starts dating back to the end of spring training. Still, LaRue's frustration grows with each day spent out of the lineup, and that has been the norm lately.

"No doubt, it's hard," said LaRue. "I expect to play every day, that's what they signed me to do. For whatever reason (it hasn't happened), whether it's me struggling with the bat or whatever - I guess probably that would be the reason. But everybody knows that Jason LaRue's always been a slow starter. I get hot about two months into the year."

That has been his pattern. Last season, LaRue hit .172 with no home runs and seven RBIs through his first 28 games and .288 with 14 homers and 53 RBIs in 82 games the rest of the way.

Of course, his turning point last year came in mid-to-late May, and he's well past that mark now. Even after a 2-for-4 night Wednesday that included a couple of singles and a drive to the warning track, LaRue has just four hits in his last 44 at-bats. For the season, he's hitting just .178 with four homers and 11 RBIs.

Despite those unsightly numbers, LaRue deployed a three-pronged argument for more playing time. First, the two-year, $9.1 million deal he signed last offseason - starter's money, to be sure. Second, the fact that defense has always been his first priority and continues to be. Third, that he can't very well hit himself out of his slump if he isn't getting any at-bats.

At the same time, Ross is known for his ability to handle pitchers and he is hardly a liability defensively. Combine that with the All-Star-caliber numbers he has put up at the plate this year (.311, 10 homers, 26 RBIs in 39 games) and it's difficult to concoct an argument against having him in the lineup almost every day.

LaRue acknowledged that Ross has been hot, but stuck to his original reasoning.

"When you're a starter in this game, no matter what, you're playing every single day," he said. "My job first and foremost is to catch first and hit second, and I've always said that. That's what your good catchers do."

Tonight, Elizardo Ramirez will get the ball for the Reds. With the Indians starting right-hander Paul Byrd, chances are Javier Valentin will be behind the plate catching Ramirez.

Narron has tried to match LaRue up with Aaron Harang lately, but Harang's next start isn't until Monday. LaRue might get out there with Joe Mays on Saturday or Eric Milton on Sunday, but he won't know for sure until he gets to the ballpark each of those days. That uncertainty is as difficult as anything for the longest-tenured Red.

"I really don't know what to say," he said. "But the most important thing is, the team's winning."
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....606300321/1027
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?