Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Interstate Highway System is 50 years old.

Re: The Interstate Highway System is 50 years old.

This weekend, I was to fly from Baltimore to Columbus to visit family. Only, I got bumped from my seat by the airline (whose name I won't say, only that it is the directional oppositie of Northeast.) At any rate, I ended up driving from DC to Columbus, and made it in a shade under 6 hours. If I had taken back roads--such as Rt. 40--I'd still be driving back.

God bless the Interstate system. Also, I-68 through western Maryland and West Virginia is actually a very pretty route, I don't mind driving it at all.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like the Interstate only when I'm working Other than that, I love traveling two-lane State Routes, U.S. Routes, and county roads. I live on SR 104 here in Franklin County and unfortunately these types of roads are going the way of the dinosaur around here.

I didn't care too much for the movie "Cars", but I did like how it made the point of how much you miss by traveling the Interstate system.

I drove the interstate yesterday from the Bay Area to PDX, 675 miles and 10 hours. You'd never be able to do that on a state road, but then again Highway 5 is only 2 lanes each way and 4 hours straight wind through about 300 miles of mountains and old volcanos.

Buit I also drove the interstate over the week in the Bay Area and it's brutal, nothing fun about 6 lanes on each side and people passing you on the right going 80.

But Highway 1 going up the coast was magic and I'd like to do it again very soon... that is a great highway.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

But Highway 1 going up the coast was magic and I'd like to do it again very soon... that is a great highway.

For my money, it's the best drive in the continental US
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    For my money, it's the best drive in the continental US
    Yep and it's even better after you go for a great ride in the foothills, see some wild turkeys and then go to here.

Turn Off Ads?