Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to promote Bruce?

Is it time to promote Bruce?

The guy is hitting .305 with 30 doubles in Dayton.

I think you need to challenge the hitters and baby the pitchers.

Time to challenge Bruce???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is it time to promote Bruce?

With Bruce being so young, I actually think a full year in Dayton is important for maturity purposes. For starters, it is good that he continues to hit well so that his confidence grows. Secondly, he is just one year removed from being a high school student and a move across the country to Sarasota would be a difficult adjustment for him to handle while trying to maintain focus on the field. I personally agree that Bruce's play has merited a promotion; however, his young age is why I feel it would be better for his development to finish the year strong in Dayton and start at Sarasota next year - where he has another year of maturity and a better understanding of the professional lifestyle. Then if he puts up big numbers at Sarasota, you can begin to look towards finding him a spot on the Chat. roster. The Reds have a very good outfield that looks to stay in-tact until no later than the end of 07, so there should be no need to rush Bruce too much - especially with Chris Denorfia still available.

probably not and I also think the fact that the ownership in Dayton would really like to win will keep him there.

Quote Originally Posted by OSURedLeg
    With Bruce being so young, I actually think a full year in Dayton is important for maturity purposes. For starters, it is good that he continues to hit well so that his confidence grows. Secondly, he is just one year removed from being a high school student and a move across the country to Sarasota would be a difficult adjustment for him to handle while trying to maintain focus on the field. I personally agree that Bruce's play has merited a promotion; however, his young age is why I feel it would be better for his development to finish the year strong in Dayton and start at Sarasota next year - where he has another year of maturity and a better understanding of the professional lifestyle. Then if he puts up big numbers at Sarasota, you can begin to look towards finding him a spot on the Chat. roster. The Reds have a very good outfield that looks to stay in-tact until no later than the end of 07, so there should be no need to rush Bruce too much - especially with Chris Denorfia still available.
    Agreed 100%. Keep him in Dayton for a full year. [of course, I'm selfish... I want him to stay in Dayton to help them go to the playoffs] Dunn and Kearns spent a full year in Dayton and they were older than Jay.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

2006-Dayton
    2007-Sarasota, if he hits-Chattanooga, if he hits in Chattanooga a late call-up.

2008-Louisville-Cincinnati

2009-2020-Cincinnati

A lot of what a rookie learns in his first year is how to live on the road. Logistics.

It's a much bigger thing than people realize, and some players handle it while others struggle.

Give him time to cement his confidence and get used to all the distractions of being away from home for the first time.

It's an investment that will pay dividends later.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Is living out of a suitcase in Sarasota really that different from living out of a suitcase in Dayton? He can get the same personal development in Sarasota he's getting now, but not the same professional development. It's obvious he's handling low A, time to move him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Is living out of a suitcase in Sarasota really that different from living out of a suitcase in Dayton? He can get the same personal development in Sarasota he's getting now, but not the same professional development. It's obvious he's handling low A, time to move him up.
    Why the rush, though? What's wrong with letting him dominate a league over a full season? He's still really young and learning the game, let alone the atmosphere, the work ethic, etc. I think he should stay at Dayton the full season. As others have said, start him out in Sarasota for sure, next year. If he hits well, then he can be promoted to Chattanooga and be on the same time schedule he'd be on if you promoted him to Sarasota now. Let him enjoy his first season. If he's truly figured out Low A, give him a full season to enjoy the domination, instead of the mental wear and tear of possibly struggling in Sarasota. Challenging your hitters is a good philosophy, but rushing a 19 year old kid through A-ball isn't.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    A lot of what a rookie learns in his first year is how to live on the road. Logistics.

It's a much bigger thing than people realize, and some players handle it while others struggle.

Give him time to cement his confidence and get used to all the distractions of being away from home for the first time.

It's an investment that will pay dividends later.
    RFS62 - Jay was in Billings last year, IIRC...probably not for the full season because of the draft.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

No, but I would like to bring up the story of Mark Schramek...

What's Schramek's story?

What's Schramek's story?
    Oops, sorry, I'm at work... From the Reds' media guide. I'm not sure, but wasn't he cut at ST of this year? I bolded the last paragraph for emphasis. I'm not saying that this will happen to Jay - but I don't want to risk it. Now, Mark was promoted to AA and not high A - but both he and Brad Correll were definitely overmatched at the time and should have stayed in Dayton for the whole year.

SCHRAMEK, Mark - 3B Age: 25; Ht: 6-2; Wt: 236; B: L; T: R; BORN: 6/2/80, San Antonio, TX. SIGNED BY: Jimmy Gonzales. RESIDES: San Antonio, TX.

OBTAINED: Selected in the supplemental first round (40th overall) of the 2002First-Year Player Draft as compensation for LHP Jeremy Sowers, who was the club’s #1 pick in 2001 but did not sign.

CAREER NOTES: In 2005, batted .214 with 11 HR and 51 RBI in 118 games at Class-A Sarasota...belted 2 homers and produced a season-high 6 RBI in a 15-13 win on 5/8 vs. Jupiter...smacked a walkoff grand slam in the 15th inning on 8/8 vs. Lakeland to give the Reds a 5-1 victory...in 2004, batted .230 with 11 HR and 53 RBI in 122 games at Class-A Potomac...was selected to play in the Carolina League vs. California League All-Star Game...had
    a pair of 2-homer games (5/7 at Frederick & 5/26 vs. Winston-Salem)...

in 2003, entered his first professional season as the #10 ranked prospect in the Reds organization according to Baseball America...batted a combined .236 with 5 HR and 59 RBI in 135 games between Class-A Dayton, Double-A Chattanooga and Class-A Potomac...began the season at Dayton, where he batted .296 with 3 HR and 37 RBI in 57 games...was selected to play in the Midwest League All-Star Game (DNP)...from 4/24-5/7 recorded a season-high 12-game hitting streak (19-47, .404, 9rbi)...belted a grand slam and produced a season-high 5 RBI in an 8-4 win on 5/9 at Clinton...the slam was the first home run of his professional career...on 6/4 was promoted to Chattanooga, where he batted .177 with 10 RBI in 42 games...went 2-for-5 with a run, double and 1 RBI in his Double-A debut on 6/5 at Huntsville, then went 2-for-33 (.061) in his next 8 games...after a brief hot streak went 5-for-48 (.104) in his last 16 games with the Lookouts...on 7/25 was transferred to Potomac, where he batted .203 with 2 HR and 12 RBI in 36 games.

I like reading the prospect profiles but is there a better way to list them so that they don't clog up the DOTF message board front page?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I say bring him up to sarasota this year. If he is hot, have him start in AA next year if he has a good spring. That will get him ready for the Reds by 08. I'm all for that.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I say bring him up to sarasota this year. If he is hot, have him start in AA next year if he has a good spring. That will get him ready for the Reds by 08. I'm all for that.
    IMHO, High A [Sarasota] is more for pitchers than for position players, esp. 1st round draft choices. I say keep him in Dayton all year - then evaluate him in ST and place him in Chattanooga in '07.

This is pretty much what happened with both Dunn and Kearns - Dunn tore up AA and was promoted to AAA, then brought up to the majors in the same year [2001]. Kearns, because he was hurt, was left in AA - but was up with the Reds the next year.
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 07-02-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Turn Off Ads?