Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it time to promote Bruce?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Is it time to promote Bruce?

It looks like Schramek was never really tearing it up anywhere...
    .296 in 57 games in Dayton could have just been a lucky/hot streak.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it is time to promote him. A jump to high single A is not a huge jump. If it were Sarasota to Chattanooga that would be different. He is argueably the best hitter in that league. We are at about the halfway mark so its a perfect time to promote him. I know as Reds fans its hard to forget the past but you can't hold a guy like Bruce back because of the people like Mark S.

They are completely different players. Mark never tore it up anywhere and I'd say talent wise they are not even in the same league. Bruce is a much higher caliber player. Since we haven't had a high single A affiliate for awhile Reds players are used to going from dayton to Chattanooga. Every other team does exactly what we should do, hop them to High A. Delmon Young is an example of a guy who did that last year. I don't want Bruce to get too comfortable. I think you should keep pushing players if they are producing like Bruce is. I would be strongly against a move to AA b4 player in High A. The pitching is better in High A and i think it would be good for Jay. And by no means should be go to chattanooga in this 2006 season.

I want to see Bruce start doing mandatory yoga. I want him to play CF in the majors. Griffey to 1b and Bruce to CF in 2008 would be nice...

Remember when Dunn went from A to AAA in one season, Bruce is producing well i see no reason not to challenge him a little bit with sarasota

Hermedia of Florida is another guy who shot through the system. Prior to the draft Bruce was considered a polished prospect much like hermedia

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    IMHO, High A [Sarasota] is more for pitchers than for position players, esp. 1st round draft choices. I say keep him in Dayton all year - then evaluate him in ST and place him in Chattanooga in '07.

This is pretty much what happened with both Dunn and Kearns
    The Reds didn't have a High A franchise when Dunn and Kearns were coming up through the ranks. They had two low A teams (Rockford and Dayton) and had players spend two years in low A ball. Everyone in the organization had to jump from low A to AA ... which was part of the reason so many Reds farmhands had trouble making the adjustment to the Southern League.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh
    Remember when Dunn went from A to AAA in one season
    Nope.

Dunn made the jump from AA to AAA to the majors in 2001. Prior to that season, he was on the one team per year promotion plan and had actually spent TWO seasons (1999 Rockford, 2000 Dayton) in A ball.

i could have sworn he played like 3 weeks in dayton and when he got minor league player of the year from BA the headline was from A to the majors but i could be wrong and since BA restructured their website I can't got that far back even with member access.

The rockford/Dayton thing is exactly my arguement. We didn't have a High single A affiliate for awhile so ppl r used to the dayton to chattanooga jump. I think its important for Bruce to hit every level and high A from low A is a minor jump (especially relative from dayton to chattanooga) I think the time is now espeically if they wanna see Bruce play in chattanooga next year. Krisvsky going to see Bruce personally i think is a good indication that its a move thats gonna happen soon

The Reds didn't have a High A franchise when Dunn and Kearns were coming up through the ranks. They had two low A teams (Rockford and Dayton) and had players spend two years in low A ball. Everyone in the organization had to jump from low A to AA ... which was part of the reason so many Reds farmhands had trouble making the adjustment to the Southern League.
    The rockford/Dayton thing is exactly my arguement. We didn't have a High single A affiliate for awhile so ppl r used to the dayton to chattanooga jump.
    Not to nitpick, guys... But the Reds acquired a high A team in 2001 [Mudville] which is now Stockton in the California League. Both Kearns and Dunn could have went there at the start of the 2001 season...even tho' they spent nearly two years in low A ball, within the same league. I wish I could find articles on why they did not.

My feeling is... what's it hurting keeping Bruce in Dayton? Let him dominate like Kearns for a full year [IIRC, Dunn wasn't all that dominating in Dayton in 2000].
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Kearns stunk his first year in low A. He hit 260 with 8 homers or something like that. He repeated and got signifigently better.

I would argue Bruce probably isn't ready for the challenges of high A yet, going from low A to high A for a batter, can be challenging(see Votto,Joey, and he was 21 years old).

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    probably not and I also think the fact that the ownership in Dayton would really like to win will keep him there.

the people that run the day to day operations in dayton have no say. if the reds FO want to move him up to AA they will. however i think its in his best intrest to stay right where he's at till next season.
    Last edited by toledodan; 07-02-2006 at 08:17 PM.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh
    I want to see Bruce start doing mandatory yoga. I want him to play CF in the majors. Griffey to 1b and Bruce to CF in 2008 would be nice...

Remember when Dunn went from A to AAA in one season, Bruce is producing well i see no reason not to challenge him a little bit with sarasota

i think votto will be starting at first come 2008. bruce could very well be the starting CF if griffey hangs it up by then. while there are alot of young players on this team now i could see dunn or kearns traded by 2008 for some pitching.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Is living out of a suitcase in Sarasota really that different from living out of a suitcase in Dayton? He can get the same personal development in Sarasota he's getting now, but not the same professional development. It's obvious he's handling low A, time to move him up.
    the problem is, when the player becomes comfortable, he can worry about what he has to do to improve only. thats why i dont like moving guys a lot during the year. there is no reason to move bruce with his age. hes where he should be. as mentioned by others, dunn, kearns, and most everyone else spent their entire year in dayton and bruce is younger

Turn Off Ads?