Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hammond DFA'd

Re: Hammond DFA'd

now that he is on the retired list, he can join previous stalwarts like Brad Pennington

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Hammond was seen this morning signing up for his Golden Buckeye card for the great discounts afforded to senior citizens.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I appreciate the fact that this franchise is not afraid to eat the contract of a particularly atrocious player. It's a shame the particularly atrocious player was ever on the team to begin with, but the least you can do is rid yourself of him before he can do any further damage.
    You won't have to eat much. This is Chris Hammond, not Danny Graves and our GM is Wayne Krivsky, not Dan O'Brien.
    You may be able to swing a trade (remember Dave Williams?), or somebody could pluck him off waivers (remember Rick White?).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    You won't have to eat much. This is Chris Hammond, not Danny Graves and our GM is Wayne Krivsky, not Dan O'Brien.
    You may be able to swing a trade (remember Dave Williams?), or somebody could pluck him off waivers (remember Rick White?).
    Oh sure, I know it's not Junior's contract or anything. But with Womack, White and now Hammond, it's refreshign that Team krivsky is, to some extent, willing to put lack of performance ahead of guaranteed salary considerations.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Oh sure, I know it's not Junior's contract or anything. But with Womack, White and now Hammond, it's refreshign that Team krivsky is, to some extent, willing to put lack of performance ahead of guaranteed salary considerations.
    Absolutely. And although, I'm sure many would have preferred he pull the trigger earlier, I think all the parties (except Womack...who had a track record) were given an adequate chance to prove their worth or lack thereof.

Womack, Williams, White and Hammond...
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I don't think Shackleford is much better, but I agree with the decision. Something had to be done, but if Hammond had to go then I think Weathers should have also. Weathers has been just as bad as Hammond lately if not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I don't think Shackleford is much better, but I agree with the decision. Something had to be done, but if Hammond had to go then I think Weathers should have also. Weathers has been just as bad as Hammond lately if not worse.
    Good call. Did anyone hear the stat the other night about the number of "first hitters faced" that Weathers has allowed to reach? My dad said it was quoted on the radio broadcast but he missed the actual numbers.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Beer me!

I just read an article at the Reds MLB.com site and it said that Weathers is still confident...I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read the following quote from weathers in the article.

"None of that has really ever bothered me," Weathers said. "I've been booed out of Yankee Stadium."

He was talking about being booed pretty loudly in GABP...if you are going to be booed out of a ballpark it may as well be being booed out of the BEST in the game, right!?!?!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Pat Gillick is no doubt thrilled by this news.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Womack, Williams, White and Hammond...
    Anyone know the record for DFAs by one team in a season? We might be on a historic pace here.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Shack has a .143 BAA and .488 OPS vs. Lefties.
    .444 BAA and 1.49 OPS vs. Righties

If used correctly against Lefties only, this is a much better upgrade than Hammond was giving us. Also, Standridge/Belisle should give us more from right side than White/Weathers have given us in first half. Any trade that can net us another arm in pen should give us the ammo to be tough to beat for that WC spot if not Central title.

I hate the defeatist attitude that we have no better/other options in the pen than the guys we've been running out there. There is some hope for this pen, we just need some younger/unkown guys to step up and pitch with confidence and our manager to put them in situations to taste success.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Hooray beer!

Are you old enough?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

On deck...David Weathers.

I don't think he's going to be here much longer.

There goes the last link to a Reds championship team.

Turn Off Ads?