Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arroyo or Harang?

Arroyo or Harang?

By season's end who will have the better year? I say Harang, as he is more of a K pitcher than Bronson. ESPN projects both to win 18 games. I think Harang can top 20 this year if he goes into the AS break with 11, which I think he will.

As a side note, I also think the Lizard gets 12+ wins this year with a sub 4.00 ERA.

Optimistic? maybe, but i really like the way he pitches. fearless.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Arroyo or Harang?

2 potential 20 game winners....if that pans out, this team should make the playoffs.

"ESPN projects both to win 18 games."

Not unless they pitch into the 8th of every game.Arroyo lost a
    win because of our vaunted BP.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat
    "ESPN projects both to win 18 games."

Not unless they pitch into the 8th of every game.Arroyo lost a
    win because of our vaunted BP.
    That prediction is based simply on them having 9 wins half way through the year.

It's simply a mathemetical exercise.

FYI, Arroyo is on pace for 18 wins even with our crappy bullpen.

I will take Aaron Harang over Bronson. I think Bronson will have better ERA numbers, just becuase he is so far ahead right now despite the rest of their numbers. I think Aaron is just a better pitcher.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Harang has pitched better than Arroyo all season, based on all indications other than ERA. His DIPS ERA is better.

Expect Harang to outpitch him the rest of the way, as he has all season.

Which is not to say that Arroyo hasn't pitched very well.

But if the Reds were opening the WS tomorrow, the Reds would have Harang starting game 1.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Harang has pitched better than Arroyo all season, based on all indications other than ERA. His DIPS ERA is better.

But if the Reds were opening the WS tomorrow, the Reds would have Harang starting game 1.

It's a nice problem to have....finally.

this is a lot better than the usual debate we are having this time of year, something along the lines of "would any of our starters be an adequate #5 pitcher on a mediocre team?"

I really don't see how Harang has pitched better.

IP
    Arroyo-118.2
    Harang-112.1

H
    Arroyo-107
    Harang-113

BB
    Arroyo-26
    Harang-28

SO
    Arroyo-89
    Harang-109

P/GS
    Arroyo-109.9
    Harang-107.8

WHIP
    Arroyo-1.12
    Harang-1.26

BAA
    Arroyo-.239
    Harang-.267

ERA
    Arroyo-2.58
    Harang-3.45
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

While Harang in my opinion is our best overall starting pitcher I think it would be better to have Arroyo go Game 1 and Harang going in Game 2. Harang had his worst outing of the year on Opening Day and if the Reds were in a situation of that caliber I think I would rather have Arroyo on the mound because he's been through more high pressure situations. But if the Reds have their first Cy Young award winner in team history this year I would have to say it would more than likely be Harang over Arroyo. Though Arroyo is near the top in ERA in the NL, his numbers have been rising a little while Harang's ERA is dropping like stock prices on Black Tuesday while having a record of 9-5 and striking out nearly 1 an inning.

Glad we have both but I'd take Harang, I expect Arroyo to return to past numbers at some point
    Go Gators!

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    I really don't see how Harang has pitched better.

IP
    Arroyo-118.2
    Harang-112.1

H
    Arroyo-107
    Harang-113

BB
    Arroyo-26
    Harang-28

SO
    Arroyo-89
    Harang-109

P/GS
    Arroyo-109.9
    Harang-107.8

WHIP
    Arroyo-1.12
    Harang-1.26

BAA
    Arroyo-.239
    Harang-.267

ERA
    Arroyo-2.58
    Harang-3.45
    I base it on DIPS ERA.

Harang has been BAPIP unlucky this year, Arroyo a bit lucky. I'm not basing it on results like hits because luck plays a factor there. A pitcher can only contro; his walks, strike outs and HR's allowed, and Harang has been better in those areas than Arroyo. But not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    I base it on DIPS ERA.

Harang has been BAPIP unlucky this year, Arroyo a bit lucky. I'm not basing it on results like hits because luck plays a factor there. A pitcher can only contro; his walks, strike outs and HR's allowed, and Harang has been better in those areas than Arroyo. But not by much.
    It sounds like studying the mineral content while a rock slide is in progress. Actually, Arroyo has a better walk to inning ratio, 26/118.2 to 28/112.1. Also, he has given up only one more homerun but has pitched 6.1 innings more innings, or the equivalent of a quality start.

I think if the Reds make the World Series and igame one is at home, Arroyo starts, IMHO.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    It sounds like studying the mineral content while a rock slide is in progress. Actually, Arroyo has a better walk to inning ratio, 26/118.2 to 28/112.1. Also, he has given up only one more homerun but has pitched 6.1 innings more innings, or the equivalent of a quality start.

I think if the Reds make the World Series and igame one is at home, Arroyo starts, IMHO.
    Harang has been in Cincy longer, he would get the ball IMO. I hope we get to find out.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I hope we get to find out.
    Yep, we can agree on that!

Turn Off Ads?