Turn Off Ads?

Thread: DePodesta

DePodesta

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: DePodesta

The Padres are a great organization for a guy like DePodesta. He'll do very well there.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Padres are lucky to have him on board
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Here's a question for the board....

Who would you rather have?

Krivsky or DePodesta?

I hate to say it, but I think my vote goes to Paul D.

I love what Krivsky's done with this team, but I was very troubled at the fact we didn't even talk to DePodesta when finding O'Brien's replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21

Krivsky or DePodesta?

I love what Krivsky's done with this team, but I was very troubled at the fact we didn't even talk to DePodesta when finding O'Brien's replacement.
    I heard from a pretty reliable person who knows DePo that a call was made by the Reds to him to gauge interest, but Depo was not interested in pursuing it for personal reasons, most likely geographical.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    I heard from a pretty reliable person who knows DePo that a call was made by the Reds to him to gauge interest, but Depo was not interested in pursuing it for personal reasons, most likely geographical.
    Yup.

Paul working for Sandy Alderson makes a ton of sense.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21

Krivsky or DePodesta?

Krivsky. He's done a pretty good job in such a short order here. And DanO left him with one huge mess.

Depo seemed to have a relationship problem/differences with not only upper management (which I don't fault Depo totally for), but also with some of the players while at LA.

He seemed to ignore factors, or deemed them insignificant, when acquiring players who were deemed troublesome or had attitude problems.

I think he would be better suited as an assistant/behind the scenes type of guy; but not as a GM.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-01-2006 at 06:47 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm not sure Kevin Towers is long for the Padres. As much as I respect Alderson, I've heard he's a dictator. And effective dictator, but a dictator. This makes 3 skilled GMs in one organization. Can they share power and focus on the tasks at hand?

I like the hire though. DePo can pretend to be nice, but he'll be focuses on crushing the Dodgers, which will only bode well for the future of the Padres.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23

I had not heard this, so if DePo in fact wanted nothing to do with us, I can't say that I blame him.

I think Krivsky's done a heckuva a job, much better than I anticipated to this point so far, but I've always been a DePo guy and would have loved to see him running this club.

Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I'm not sure Kevin Towers is long for the Padres. As much as I respect Alderson, I've heard he's a dictator. And effective dictator, but a dictator. This makes 3 skilled GMs in one organization. Can they share power and focus on the tasks at hand?

I like the hire though. DePo can pretend to be nice, but he'll be focuses on crushing the Dodgers, which will only bode well for the future of the Padres.
    Towers tied his own noose with the public mea culpa following Caminiti's death.

Turn Off Ads?