Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rank the Reds announcers.

Rank the Reds announcers.

Thought this would be fun. Rank your Reds announcers from favorite to least favorite. Here's mine:

1. Marty
    2. Chris Welsh, Joe Nuxall
    3. George Grande
    4. Jeff Picora
    5. Jim Day
    6. Steve Stewart

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rank the Reds announcers.

1. Steve Stewart
    2. Chris Welch
    3. Marty
    4. Nuxhall
    LAST: GRANDE

OK, I'll play!

1. Marty - He gets a lot of grief on here and a lot of it is valid, but in my book there is still no one better.
    2. Joe Nuxhall - A legend and a complete class act. For me, Joe is and will forever be Reds baseball.
    3. Chris Welsh - I love me some Creeper. I think he would be even better if he didn't share the booth with George. The mustache is priceless.
    4. Steve Stewart - He's getting better and seems to be establishing some rapport with Marty. I look for him to keep improving.
    5. Jeff Piecoro - Solid and professional but a little too vanilla.
    6. Jim Day - Too goofy. He reminds me a bit of what I might be like if I had his job...not a ringing endorsement.
    7. George Grande - A great guy by all accounts but he just drives me absolutely nuts and has for years.

Marty
    Nuxhall
    Chris Welsh
    George Grande
    Steve Stewart

I don't connect with Stewart at all and find him very vanilla. He doesn't do a thing for me. I have tried to listen to him, and felt that he eventually would grow on me, but I don't see anything appealing about the way he calls a ballgame and can't get excited about anything he brings to the table. I would hope that the Reds might reconsider and make a change in the Radio booth. Very boring

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC

I don't connect with Stewart at all and find him very vanilla. He doesn't do a thing for me. I have tried to listen to him, and felt that he eventually would grow on me, but I don't see anything appealing about the way he calls a ballgame and can't get excited about anything he brings to the table. I would hope that the Reds might reconsider and make a change in the Radio booth. Very boring
    Sadly, I feel the same way. I'd rather have a homer in the radio booth.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I would really like to see a Marty/Creeper duo on the radio side. I think that would be great. Welsh would have to take a pay cut and do more work for that to happen so the chance seems remote.

1. Marty Brennaman - I think he is going downhill the past few years (sorry to say) but he is still the best!

2. Joe Nuxhall - Would be #1 but he just doesn't call enough games anymore.

3. Chris Welsh - He is pretty enjoyable in my opinion and brings a lot of good insider info to the FSN broadcasts. It is him alone that makes the broadcasts listenable.

4. Steve Stewart - Meh.

5. Jeff Piecoro - Heard him when Crafty was out the other day and he seemed OK if a little generic.

6. Jim Day - A total goofball.

DEAD LAST - George Grande. He is simply horrible and I pray that one day this nightmare will end.

I kinda like Jim Day, call me crazy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

1. Steve Stewart - If I want opinions, I'll read the editorial page or RedsZone. Steve is as good as Jack Webb at delivering the facts.

2. Chris Welsh - Best baseball knowledge of any announcer the Reds have in the stable. Some of his opinions are out of left field, like the HR = Rally Killer bit, but I'll cut him some slack since he has a lot of air time to fill and there are only so many anecdotes in the Media Guide.

3. George Grande - Plenty o' facts, but his homespun expressions bug me in the way that Dan Rather's similes did. Still, the man gets mild props from me for omitting the "D" word from that "Sports Show" title. I have to respect someone who takes a public stand about the debasing of society.

4. Joe - Only because I remember him when he used to be good. Father Time and failing health are the biggest reasons he isn't good anymore.

5. Marty - I remember him when he used to be good. If only he'd let Dr. Kremchek operate on his inflamed ego and give him a prescription that would reduce the swelling of those grudges, he could be good again. Stubborn earns Marty a ticket to last place on my list.

Footnote: Since I knew Jim Day in college and haven't heard him announce a game since then, I don't have an informed opinion on his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    1. Steve Stewart - If I want opinions, I'll read the editorial page or RedsZone. Steve is as good as Jack Webb at delivering the facts.

2. Chris Welsh - Best baseball knowledge of any announcer the Reds have in the stable. Some of his opinions are out of left field, like the HR = Rally Killer bit, but I'll cut him some slack since he has a lot of air time to fill and there are only so many anecdotes in the Media Guide.

3. George Grande - Plenty o' facts, but his homespun expressions bug me in the way that Dan Rather's similes did. Still, the man gets mild props from me for omitting the "D" word from that "Sports Show" title. I have to respect someone who takes a public stand about the debasing of society.

4. Joe - Only because I remember him when he used to be good. Father Time and failing health are the biggest reasons he isn't good anymore.

5. Marty - I remember him when he used to be good. If only he'd let Dr. Kremchek operate on his inflamed ego and give him a prescription that would reduce the swelling of those grudges, he could be good again. Stubborn earns Marty a ticket to last place on my list.

Footnote: Since I knew Jim Day in college and haven't heard him announce a game since then, I don't have an informed opinion on his work.
    Pretty nice comments, overall. Here's my list:

1) Chris Welsh - tells it like it is. He's a Reds fan without all of the corny, icky sentimentality of George Grande (who's probably better suited for announcing something like a Disney parade).

2) Jim Day - can't comment on his play-by-play skills (not sure he has any) but he's got an enjoyable presence with the color stuff he does before and after games with the players.

3) Joe Nuxhall - this is more of a courtesy vote for Joe for all he's done over the years. Obviously, Joe's getting older, and with each passing year his play-play-play becomes more difficult to follow. He'll leave you hangin' with something like "Well, here's one way, way, back........and.......the ump.....well, hold on now, I don't know about that one.....here comes Narron out to argue.....".

4) Marty Brenneman - maybe it's just me but the man's voice grates on my ears. I think if there was something like closed caption where I could just read what he was saying he'd be ok. But that voice.....he's got it all torqued-up with this rapid-fire delivery of his that I just don't dig.

5) George Grande - see #1 above. Nice man. That's his problem.

6) Stewart - if there was a way to program a computer to do play-by-play it would come out sounding just like Mr. Stewart. There's not a human being behind the words.

I've said it before, if Grande wants to make a stand, quit. The name of that show is completely stupid, I agree but George works for that network and it is his job to say the name of the show.

Is it OK for someone from an ad agency who is working on McDonalds account to only advertise salads because the rest of the food is bad for you? To me that is essentially what George is doing.

1. Chris Welsch. I don't understand why people don't like him. He wants the Reds to win and when they do he has as much fun in the booth as anyone. But he isn't a Steve Stone type homer either. Very fair. And I love his JTM promos. "Hey Meat!"

2. Marty. Not a big fan because I don't like his trivia questions and all the other non baseball references. But when it comes to straight play by play, he is very good. No doubt.

3. Stewart. By Default.

4. Grande. Wish he would leave.

I'm not going to include the other guys because they aren't really Red announcers.

1) Marty - I still love listening to him announce games. I used to listen to every game growing up and he still does a great job at play-by-play.
    2) Welsh - Not great, but very good. I think he has a good idea as to what's going on and his previous MLB experience certainly shows that.
    3) Nuxhall - Longevity vote here. It was fun listening to him even though you really didn't have much of a clue what was going on in the game. "There's a flyball to left. It's 5-3 now."
    4) Steve Stewart - I think he has potential. I'd like to see more personality from him. For some reason, I want him to care more about whether the Reds win or not. I think he's getting better, but earlier this year I got the feeling that he couldn't care less whether the Reds won or not.
    5) Grande - He definitely cares if the Reds win or not. Unfortunately, he's just not that good at doing play-by-play. And the depth perception problem is brutal. If an opposing team hits an upper deck home he starts out by saying there's a flyball. If the Reds get the ball airborn he's starts flipping out like the Reds just won a game 9-8 on a walkoff 2-out grand slam .
    6) Jim Day - I've never heard him announce a game, but I thinks he's a buffoon. He's just too happy, all the time. I'd love to see him mad after a Reds loss sometime.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed

2. Marty. Not a big fan because I don't like his trivia questions and all the other non baseball references.

I don't think he comes up with the trivia questions.

1. Marty
    2. Chris Welsh
    3. Steve Stewart
    4. Jim Day
    5. Jeff Picora
    6. George Grande

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I kinda like Jim Day, call me crazy.
    So do I, not to mention he is a good guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

RE: the trivia questions...

They are formulated (I'm almost sure) by producer Dave "Yiddy" Armbruster.

I do agree they are highly stupid most of the time. "Gangster or Gangsta?" Come on.

Turn Off Ads?