Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rank the Reds announcers.

Re: Rank the Reds announcers.

[QUOTE=Redhook]...
    5) Grande - .... And the depth perception problem is brutal. If an opposing team hits an upper deck home he starts out by saying there's a flyball. .[QUOTE]

Is this a legit problem of Grande's or just an observation, because I've noticed it too. I've lost track of how many times he's shouted "Hit pretty good !!" only to see a routine fly ball get caught in the middle of the outfield.

2. Turn Off Ads?

1. Marty
    2. Steve Stewart
    3. Chris Welsh
    4. Joe
    5. George Grande
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    1. Steve Stewart
    2. Chris Welch
    3. Marty
    4. Nuxhall
    LAST: GRANDE
    Agreed.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    1. Steve Stewart
    2. Chris Welch
    3. Marty
    4. Nuxhall
    LAST: GRANDE
    That's kind of where I'm at too, although I would like to say that Marty has the most talent when he chooses to use it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I don't think he comes up with the trivia questions.
    Yup, kind of figured that. But he obviously likes to do them. That is what I was talking about.

Grande and his depth perception is getting out of control. Anyone remember Milton's double from his last start that hit off the wall on the fly?

"Blooped to left" was the call George gave. The ball Milton hit was roped. Grande did the same exact thing later in the game on another rocket.

Rockets are bloops and bloops are hit pretty good. Get some glasses, a telescope, a spotter or just shut up until you know for sure what is going on. The game is on TV, we can see it ourselves. We don't really need George to tell us what didn't happen 1 second before we see what actually happens.

The guy never shuts up. He is a such a motor mouth.

Huh, Chris?

1. Marty - still the best in my opinion. His game ending call last night was an instant classic. Blows my mind how so many Reds fans dislike him.
    2. Steve Stewart - didn't care for him at first but think he is improving drastically.
    3. Chris Welch - I like his knowledge of the game and how he communicates it to the average fan.
    4. George Grande - I'm in the minority in that I have no problem with him. He's not the best, but I've heard lots worse.
    5. Jim Day - I only put him this far down because he isn't actually a game announcer. I like his goofiness. Why does everything have to be so proper?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    1. Marty - still the best in my opinion. His game ending call last night was an instant classic. Blows my mind how so many Reds fans dislike him.
    The call last night gives you chills....there's only a select few broadcasters that can do that.

Marty can do it quite often.

Calls like that are why he is a hall of famer. Their priceless....they're REAL. There's nothing fake or scripted in those.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-01-2006 at 05:58 PM.

Joe: what I remember growing up with and learning how to guess what was happening during his pauses. Just helped me visualize the game more. I loved his call while filling in last year in Milwalkee on the game ending home run.

Chris: underrated and the only reason I could watch the tv broadcast. Great insight and I wish he was paired better in the booth.

Marty: have to agree with the sentiment that nobody can call the dramatic moments like he does. His banter about friends or people nobody in the listening audience knows is my pet peeve. Too harsh or talking down on Steve, imo, sometimes but I'm not a Steve fan either.

Steve: by default cause the spot is here. At least he isn't announcing each pitchers height, weight and 8th grade team mascot like he did the first couple years. And I know he does the corny Roadrunner ads, but man you don't have to sound like the pc.

George has serious vision depth problems. He gets me excited about a routine fly ball way too often and I can only curse the tv camera for not showing the arc of the ball. I'd ask, Could he be any cornier?, but already know the answer. Get 'er Dunn? Please, no need to make the area sound any more country bumpkin. I hate that phrase.
    "When the Russians conquer America, they will recruit concentration camp guards from among Cardinals fans."

I like all the announcers, but here is my picking order.

1) Chris- I love hearing Chris because he knows baseball. The HR rally killer made me laugh, but that's one of the few silly things he has said.
    2) Joe- Classic
    3) Grande- Doesnt bother me. He isnt great but he probably gets this spot b/c of Chris.
    4) Steve- He gives you every single detail, such as "The pitcher spits to the left of the mound. He adjusts his uniform, works the ball, and here's the pitch..." I like Steve.
    5) Marty- the reason some people dont like him (incluiding myself) is he brings so much opinion to a brodcast and its not always related to baseball. As it has been mentioned, he can be great when he sticks to baseball.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    I would really like to see a Marty/Creeper duo on the radio side. I think that would be great.
    No! Marty needs to "reunite" with the Creeper in the TV booth (and for more than 3 innings, this time around) Give Georgie a one-way ticket to St. Louis! Bring back those foofy-haired, fancy-boy noogies!!!
    Never overlook the obvious

1. Marty --- The HOF'er is without the question the best. Last night's call further emphasizes that point.

2. Chris Welsh --- I think offers pretty good insight, hindered greatly by Grande.

3. Joe Nuxhall --- Hard to follow sometimes, but great enthusiasm and you know where he stands on the Reds.

4. George Grande --- You know his story. Talks too much for TV. Not too bad in big situations like last night, his call was pretty good also. He did botch Griffey's 500th though. No need to go on about the all the goofy sayings he has.

5. Steve Stewart --- Disappointed with him. Very bland, also has alot of Grande in him and the "Bad Boy" bit is way past old.

Jim Day and Jeff Piecoro do not even rate, that;s how bad they are.

Piecoro is a total tool. He's bad at everything he does. I'm praying the changes on 1360 include removing him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Piecoro is a total tool. He's bad at everything he does. I'm praying the changes on 1360 include removing him.
    Actually, he is really good at doing color commentary for UK football.

I came in on this late, but I want to comment. When I think of announcers, I think of the guys who broadcast during the game, so I'll stick to that. As for Jeff P. and Jim Day, they are poor even for local announcers. Even the Pirates have better and that's a shame.

1. Marty - lst night's HR call is one example. Sure, he aggravates the purists (you know there story...they want Jack Webb--just the facts). I'll watch sports news if I want the facts. I want emotion and entertainment. If I have to spend 4 hours in a car and can't see the game, I want to know what's going on, but I also want to be entertained. I can get the facts on Game Tracker or whatever.

2. Joe - I don't know why, but llistening to him call a game is just so much like what Reds baseball is. All of a sudden, I'm 15 again and living each word. Maybe it's nostalgia. And when his inning is over, you know Marty's coming back on soon.

3. Chris Welsh - Motormouth. Constantly talking. Does he know baseball? Is the Pope Catholic? But you have to shutup, especially when doing TV and let the game speak for itself. Chris doesn't know the meaning of the word.

4. Steve - A nice guy from all reports. A competent announcer. Not a color man. A guy who is so low key and laid back, he should be a golf announcer. God in Heaven forbid he inherits the pbp job when Marty steps down. Listenership will drop by 50% and TV will be king unless the guy below stays. Someone compared him to Jack Webb, aka Joe Friday. Good comparison. The game of baseball has its ebbs and flows. Steve never ebbs and always flows. He's boring and not suited for radio. And he's the brainchild of the past administration. Not good.

5. George. I listen to a lot of baseball on XM and watch a lot on the TV package. Not one of the other announcers get excited over the opposition's good plays. George does. His almost cheery disposition makes me think he must be an alien from another planet. He's a nice guy from everyone who's met him, but he's not the guy I'd have a beer with after the game (heck, Geo. probably doesn't drink anyway). I started a practice of not listening lately. I can't stand it anymore.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 07-02-2006 at 01:21 AM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

First off, I've been laughing throughout the whole thread. Here's mine:

1) Marty. Great "game-caller." There is a lot of fluff now, and I don't like trivia in the 8th inning when there is a big moment, but I think that is on 700, not Marty.

2) Chris. When is he going to strangle GG? He has rebutled GG's comments more and more, and he earns a lot of my respect doing that. Plus he sincerely roots for the Reds, and when the Reds suck, he says they do and why. He doesn't sit there and slobber over the opponents unless they really are great. He knows what fans want to hear I think, because he is a fan too.

3) Joe. A legend and just not healthy enough to do his thing but was always a great partner with Marty.

4) Steve. Never turned for him. I thought I was once listening to chess, then I realized Steve was calling the game. Remember earlier this year when there was a great diving catch made in the Cubs game I think in April? Steve called it as a regular pop out, turns out it was a crazy play in deep right-center. No emotion at all.

5) Georgie. Well you know his story. He's a true professional in every sense of the word, and just like the guys he says that about, not very good. I wish I could delay my radio for 5 seconds to listen and watch at the same time. I'm so tired of his obsession with other players or teams, of course the Cardinals come to mind with Sir Albert, Mr. Edmonds, and the Red Birds.

He also has obsessions with some of our players. He absolutely LOVES Rich Aurilia. If Aurilia is 5-25 in a 2 week span he will say that "he has been hitting the ball hard and spraying it but just has been getting unlucky." If Edwin is 15-25 in that same span he will be saying "he's getting all the breaks. A lot of seeing-eye singles and bloops have fallen for him lately. It's a game of luck you know?" Drives me crazy. He has a passion for 30+ year old white baseball players. Have you ever heard him say this professional crap about a black player? Right before Edwin (I know he is Latino, not black) got hurt, he was having better and better AB's, even Marty was all over him (in a positive way) about how great his patience was getting at the plate, but George will hammer away on one swing and miss the whole game and say how Richie or Hatte wouldn't do that.

I'd be on the smiling side of FSN if they fired him ASAP.

PS - I love threads like this. It's like therapy. I'm becoming a scrappy vet at them. Thanks.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 07-02-2006 at 02:35 AM.

Turn Off Ads?