Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Being a Reds fan

Being a Reds fan

Being a Reds fan means different things to different people. Many start as early as they can remember. Others get the bug later in life. To me, all true Reds fans share one thing in common….no matter what management does, no matter what any player does, no matter how they do for any length of time…… you love the Cincinnati Reds.

It doesn’t mean you can’t get pretty upset by things that are going on…. In fact if you didn’t love them you couldn’t get as mad as you sometimes do. Just like people….same thing.

We love them no matter what. That’s our lot in life. It doesn’t take much to support a team when it’s doing fine. The ’99 team was a great example. Who couldn’t love the reds during a scrapping, come out of nowhere run for the pennant like 1999.

If you want to find out who loves the Cincinnati Reds, just pay attention when things go badly. And it’s really not a contest to see who is the biggest fan. Most who post on this board are fans to some degree.

Many types of negativity crop up when things are going wrong. I guess that’s understandable, and we have passionate appeals in a negative vein show up on this board every day.

And anybody who has been a Reds fan for very long has this in common also… you know how to win and you know how to suffer. We have gone on an emotional rollercoaster for years. We are seasoned veterans at watching championship teams and battle hardened in the suffering department.

You get knocked down, you get back up…. You get knocked down again, you get back up again.. and so on and so on. Then every so often you get every fans dream, a season like ’99.. The reason that was so special was that it doesn’t happen that often. You savor that one, it was pure as the driven snow. And it makes us want more, just like it.

This year has been so much like that great season. Nobody gave us a chance over the off-season. Even now we get little respect from the media or even some of our rivals.

We’re halfway there to another dream season like ’99. We’ve achieved so much more already than damn near ANYBODY dreamed possible in spring training. Regardless of how things turn out, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching these guys play this year. And I’ve been around the block enough times to know that you don’t get this kind of season very often, and you had better enjoy it while you can.

The season is almost half over, and we’re in first place. Every game is exciting, every day a new challenge. We’ve got a scrappy bunch of underdogs who bust their collective butts every day. They deserve our support and respect. They’ve earned it on the field.

So, remember… we’re all pulling the same wagon here. We may disagree, but we’re all still members of the extended family of Reds fans everywhere.

We all love the Reds, or we wouldn’t be here. That’s what’s important.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Being a Reds fan

I just like Hot Dogs.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I just like Hot Dogs.
    What kind of kid likes armour hot dogs?
    Big kids, lit-tle kids, kids who climb on rocks
    fat kids, skin-ny kids, ev-en kids with chicken pox.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    What kind of kid likes armour hot dogs?
    Big kids, lit-tle kids, kids who climb on rocks
    fat kids, skin-ny kids, ev-en kids with chicken pox.
    ...love hot dogs, Armour hot dogs,
    The Dogs Kids Love To BITE!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I like hotdogs, but I also like your thoughts here, '62. Fans are a large collective family held together by a team. The players, managers, GM's, and owners change, but we stay through the good, bad, and awful.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I like stats

Go Gators!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Yeah, I didn't mean to minimize the post with that hot dog quip.

The Reds and fans are like my tribe. We all speak the same language, share the same culture.

Great post.

Funny picture.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

I've really been lucky, actually. I live 3 hours away, so I can't go very often. About 15-20 times a year. With that fairly small number of games, I have been lucky enough to attend World Series Games 1 and 6 in 1970, Game 2 in 1990, Griffey's innside- the-park homer, Larkin's grand slam, and the 2 games Larkin hit 5 homers, and the ADam Dunn walk-off Grand Sla,, and Randa's walk-off homer on Opening Day. Pretty good selections, I thinkk.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?