Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Our bullpen, Is it part mental?

Our bullpen, Is it part mental?

Hearing everyone talking about the bullpen and comments along the line of "...even I could hit of that guy", is part of the problem mental?

While I am sure that mentally, our bullpen has got to be pretty exhausted by now, I wonder how other teams see our bullpen.

Take the Yankees and Mariano Rivera. Most fans felt that the game was over once it got to Rivera, and I am sure other teams had to have that same feeling. It really wasnt until the Red Sox got to him back in 2004 that he started to appear human. Once the Sox believed they could hit off him, they started finding ways to do so.

Flash back to our bullpen. While no one except Coffey has had a strong year, it cannot help the cause that other teams have to see our bullpen as a batting tee. There is a part of this game that is very phsycological, and the way other teams view our bullpen cant help.

Obviously, we dont have a great 'pen, but I have to think that a big part of the struggles this year will be that until someone starts getting hitters out, or we bring up young arms from the minors that hitters are less familiar with, hitters will feel good about facing the pen. I imagine they feel that if they just get past the starters, then its time to play home run derby. So not only does our bullpen suck lately, but the hitters they face must just be dripping with eagerness and confidence.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Our bullpen, Is it part mental?

I think that "stuff", or lack there of is the problem.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

It can be a mental thing. Having played Highschool ball(while nowhere near the same), knowing that a team doesn't have strong pitching definitely boosts your confidence, and having high confidence going into an AB is always going to help your chances of getting a hit. The same goes for the pitcher. If they're timid on the mound and feel like every batter is going to get a hit off of them they're most likely going to try to overpitch to make sure they get outs, but ultimately work themselves into trouble.

For the most part - I think it is an age problem, and trying to "patch" it with geriatrics.

Weathers looks like he needs an oxygen tank out there.

The rest of it, for the most part, is simply a lack of talent/skills IMO.

It may be somewhat developmental; but I'll take "Lack Of Appreciable Skills" for $1000 Alex.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I think the biggest issue is talent and I'm sure WK will address it soon. If we continue to play like we have been I think will soon some help via a trade. If no trades you know for sure it will be the #1 priority of his list during the offseason.

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see Weathers gone shortly. You can't keep going to the same guy and he continues to not get the job done. My guess is within the next two weeks.

Piece by piece, player by player, the Old Red Machine in the bullpen is being torn apart.
    Very, very slowly, the bullpen is being built into something which looks less like a quilted patchwork of worn out faded has beens. Slowly, newer, fresher arms are being bought in (and hopefully more are on the horizon).
    If we do go after some relievers this month, I hope they are not "guns for hire" which will only be with us for a couple of months, but some guys who can help us for a few years down the road.
    I have more faith in Wayne being able to do this than I would have that other guy.

Is it mental? Yes.

Is it that these guys have no talent whatsoever? Yes.

Does it ultimately matter? They're terrible and need to go!

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical. -Yogi Berra
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Of course its mental..we're CRAZY to send those guys out to pitch!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Lidge's problem is mental, he has great stuff. The Reds' bullpen problem is they flat out suck.

Turn Off Ads?