Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Greg Maddux?

Greg Maddux?

According to the Chicago rags this morning, the Cubs could be shopping Greg Maddux. Anyone interested in trading for him? He has been dreadful lately, but I think he would look better in the back in of the rotation than Milton or Mays.

Any takers?
    Last edited by Jpup; 07-02-2006 at 10:18 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Greg Maddux?

I think he'd be worthwhile to have around, if anything so the other pitchers can pick his computer-like baseball brain. He's definaltey got to be one of the smartest pitchers to ever play the game. (By the way BA is also a "thinking pitcher"). He's still got a decent glove in the field for his position and a bat at the plate (but he's no BA!).

If we could get him for some minor leaguers (maybe Chicago is wanting to restock?) or on the cheep I think he'd be a good #5 and a more valuable resource for the pitching staff as a whole.

And as I posted previously, the fact that he's one of my favorite pitchers of all time doesn't have annnnyyything to do with it..........
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I for one would not mind seeing The Professor in a Reds uniform, this is for certain - as long as the price is cheap enough. Maybe even for a couple more years (if he continues that long).
    Then again, as Ltl'Abner said, he could also be good to have around for our young-uns to learn from.
    He has long been one of my favorites, as well - especially since we share the same first name.

I don't want the Reds trading with the Cubs.

I'd hate to see someone I like wearing that blue for a few years just for a half season of an old Greg Maddux.

I really dislike the Cubs.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

He's worn. No way. Plus, I always liked when we faced him so I don't think I want to see him pitching on my team.

He's worn, but when Maddux is 67 he will be more effective than Joe Mays is now, or than Claussen sometimes is. IF they could work a deal where the Cubs pick up a bunch of his contract and it wouldn't cost the Reds more than a B-level prospect, I wouldn't mind it.

Greatest baseball IQ in history.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

You rang, '62?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser
    You rang, '62?

Of course I'm talkin' about you, Roser.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

weathers for him?

if we could get him for a borderline prospect I'd be for it. At the worst he can help in the dugout... Sign him as a pitching coach for next yr?

If he's really cheap.

Then move him to pitching coach when he retires
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?