Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Prospect Pofile: Johnny Cueto

Height: 5'11'
    Weight: 174
    DOB: 2/15/1986
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right

As most already know, Johnny Cueto has burst on to the Reds top prospect list.
    The Dominican born flame-thrower dominated the Midwest League during the
    first half of the season; he threw the Dragon's first no-hitter, and
    followed up that performance by almost doing it again.

I have had the privilege of seeing Cueto in person. He's not large in stature, but
    generates plenty of power from his lower body. His fastball is rather effortless, and
    he has been developing some nice off-speed stuff to complement it.

Cueto has recently been promoted to the high A affiliate in Sarasota. His first
    start did not go too well, but he was not hit hard at all. His problem in that game
    was command; hit batters and walks. This could just be attributed to
    nerves. Remember folks, he's only 20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9LYzHjgHYk
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=eSEQPmYIQfA

Upated stats for 2006 Dayton/Sarasota combined:
    Code:
    W   L  Era   G    Gs  Cg  Sho  Sv  Ip     H    R   Er   Hr   BB   So 
    15  3  3.00  26   26   3   3   0   138   100   47  46   11   38   143
    Updated 2007 Sarasota stats:
    Code:
     W  L  ERA    G    GS   CG   SHO  SV   IP    H    R    ER  HR   BB   SO 
     2  3  3.16   9    9     0    0    0  51.1   49   22   18   0   18   40
    Last edited by cincy09; 05-21-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Updated stats
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Re: Prospect Pofile: Johnny Cueto

A couple of articles on Johnny Cueto. The first is from the Reds website
    and the second is from rotoworld:

Cueto uses a four-pitch repertoire, which includes a fastball, slider, a new and improved changeup and a sinker. His fastball, which tops out at 96 mph, is his best pitch.
    But a big component of Cueto’s arsenal this season has been that changeup, which he learned from former Reds great Mario Soto in Spring Training. Soto taught him how to throw the offspeed pitch, and gave the young righty some critical lessons on the mental side of pitching.
    “The biggest key to his success has been Soto teaching him a changeup,” Almaraz said. “Not only how to throw it, but commanding it, as well.”
    In only his first full season in professional baseball, Cueto has been dominant, and he has the statistics to prove it.
    Johnny Cueto gave up five runs in four innings Friday in his first start for Single-A Sarasota.
    Cueto, a 20-year-old who was signed out of the Dominican Republic, was 8-1 with a 2.59 ERA, 52 H and 82/15 K/BB in 76 1/3 IP for low Single-A Dayton. He doesn't have No. 1- or No. 2-starter stuff, but he is in the process of establishing himself as one of the Reds' top prospects.

He doesn't have No. 1- or No. 2-starter stuff, but he is in the process of establishing himself as one of the Reds' top prospects.
    What exactly does that take? It seems like 96MPH with two other solid pitches at age 20 at least projects as a #2 cieling.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    What exactly does that take? It seems like 96MPH with two other solid pitches at age 20 at least projects as a #2 cieling.
    Probably not being 5-11 174 Lb.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Probably not being 5-11 174 Lb.
    How much does height really change the effectiveness of pitches?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    How much does height really change the effectiveness of pitches?
    It effects the downward plane of a pitch, the more of a downward plane the harder the pitch is to hit. I believe Woy did a write about short right hand pitchers and they're success in the majorsa while back. Baseball America did a similar write up but it premium content so unless you're a member you're out of luck.

Edit: Here's the woy post I was thinking of it's on short right handed relievers:
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46119
    Last edited by Elam; 07-03-2006 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09
    A couple of articles on Johnny Cueto. The first is from the Reds website
    and the second is from rotoworld:

I realize that the above articles won't show up but I wanted to reference the Soto section. How much has Mario Soto done for this organization in one spring training? It seems he taught a lot of people including The Lizard his change and it is paying off big time.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Nothing against Cueto...whom I've never seen pitch, but scouts and org. baseball men do have a bias against shorter pitchers.
    It's no coincidence Roy Oswalt was drafted in the 115th Round (or something like that).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Nothing against Cueto...whom I've never seen pitch, but scouts and org. baseball men do have a bias against shorter pitchers.
    It's no coincidence Roy Oswalt was drafted in the 115th Round (or something like that).
    Sure am glad we didn't draft that other short guy that starts with a K... Kazmir or something...
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Yeah, Soto rocks. I say bring him back every year. I don't really get the short pitcher thing. The only difference I can understand is an intimidation factor when a huge pitcher is pitching ???

Has Cueto always thrown in the mid-high 90s? I don't ever remember hearing about that before, so maybe thats why he isn't highly regarded at the moment.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The taller the pitcher, the higher the release point is (in most cases, if you throw side armed, then well this point is moot), the more of a downward plane the ball has. When the ball is coming from a lower release point, the flatter the plane is, and theoretically, the easier it is to hit.

If there is movement on your fastball, which all GOOD pitchers have... does it really matter what plane its coming from?

There are too many tall crappy pitchers, and too many great short pitchers for that statement to be correct. I'll agree it might give taller pitchers a SLIGHT advantage, but stuff, movement, control, and velocity are the main components IMO... anything else doesn't change the fact of a pitcher being good or not

A little blurb from the Sarasota Newspaper following Cueto's performance on 7-5 :
    One of the Reds organization's top pitching prospects -- 20-year-old right-hander John-ny Cueto -- made his second start for the SaraReds on Wednesday. Cueto -- who threw 79 pitches, 46 for strikes -- worked four innings, allowed five hits, two runs, walked four and struck out six

Sarasota stats updated in 1st post

Last night's issue of Play Ball! (Dayton Dragons) had a nice interview article. It should be posted pretty soon on the website.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?