Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The worst bullpen ever?

The worst bullpen ever?

Ok, maybe not the worst ever since a couple of guys have been thrown overboard, but with over half of the bullpen with an ERA over 5, you're definitely a candidate for the award.

Now, Shakelford's only thrown 10.1 innings, but Merker, Yan and Weathers don't have that excuse. I think the Reds need to acquire as many quality bullpen arms as possible in the next month. I think we need at least 2 or 3.

Brian Shackelford - 8.71
    Kent Mercker - 6.16
    Esteban Yan - 5.91
    David Weathers - 5.25
    Matt Belisle - 4.35
    Todd Coffey - 2.55
    Jason Standridge - 2.08

I hope Joe Mays is the next guy thrown overboard. He's allowed 45 runs in 41.2 innings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The worst bullpen ever?

Easily the worst in the past fifty years of cincy baseball

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I remember when we had one of the best pens.. had Sullivan, Williamson, Villone, White, dare I say it but Graves

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

[KIP]like there is anyway to know that [/KIP]

Worst ever? I dunno if thats true. Not good enough for a playoff run? I do know that.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Come on now, I'm sure there have been worse bullpens...

in Wisconsin Tee-Ball leagues.

Captain Buckeye

All I know is I sat thru 3 games in 3 days(same amount as last 2 seasons total) and I have had enough watching that crap. Should have been swept.....thank God for Fri.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

Our BP is BS.

And that's probably going to be the story of the 2006 Reds.

:thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by GriffeyFan
    Ok, maybe not the worst ever since a couple of guys have been thrown overboard, but with over half of the bullpen with an ERA over 5, you're definitely a candidate for the award.

Now, Shakelford's only thrown 10.1 innings, but Merker, Yan and Weathers don't have that excuse. I think the Reds need to acquire as many quality bullpen arms as possible in the next month. I think we need at least 2 or 3.

Brian Shackelford - 8.71
    Kent Mercker - 6.16
    Esteban Yan - 5.91
    David Weathers - 5.25
    Matt Belisle - 4.35
    Todd Coffey - 2.55
    Jason Standridge - 2.08

I hope Joe Mays is the next guy thrown overboard. He's allowed 45 runs in 41.2 innings.
    I was thinking if we got one guy with a rubber arm that we could run out there 4 or 5 times a week, and was effective, would that be enough? I mean it's not ideal but I think it might be enough to hold on to the wild card. Does this guy exist though? Probably not for us.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    I remember when we had one of the best pens.. had Sullivan, Williamson, Villone, White, dare I say it but Graves
    Since you were only 7 in 1990, you probably don't remember too much about the "real" Nasty Boys. They were phenomenal....Dibble, Myers, Charlton. All outstanding. They put the staff you have listed above to shame. That staff you have listed above, 1999 I believe, was very good and I'm sure all of us would absolutely love to have that bullpen right now.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    [KIP]like there is anyway to know that [/KIP]

Worst ever? I dunno if thats true. Not good enough for a playoff run? I do know that.
    Nice Napolean reference...pretty good laugh with that one.

Anyway, if we are going to mke a push for the playoffs, we need HELP.

Last year the bullpen was pretty sucky. Remember the magic that was Ben Weber?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

For most of my lifetime, one thing a Reds fan could count on was a quality bullpen......Henry, Brosnan, McCool, Ellis, Nottebart, Abernathy, Granger, Carroll, Hall, Borbon, Eastwick, McEnaney, Hume, Bair, Franco, Myers, Dibble, Charlton, Brantley, Shaw, Williamson, Graves....on and on...the Reds might come up short in starting pitching, but they had a bullpen most seasons. I am absolutely stunned by the ineptitude of the current Reds relief corps.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

do you think Ben Hayes would be the middle man or the closer if he were time warped and inserted into this august group?

Thanks REDS BARON for the great names from yesteryear. The 2006 version of Cincy's pen doesn't have anyone even close to the ones mentioned.

Turn Off Ads?