Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7-2 minor league updates

Re: 7-2 minor league updates

Bailey appears to be, um, VERY comfortable in AA at this point.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Bailey didn't pitch the 6th.

His updates AA stats thru three starts:

17 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 22 K, 0.00 ERA, 0.65 WHIP, 11.65 K/9
    Only 3 games...Only 3 games...must keep repeating that it's only three games...
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I started listening to the Dragons game and the announcers said B.J. was ejected, but it didnt sound like they knew why or didnt want to say.

Dayton Top 8th

Brandon Szymanski turns around to bat left-handed.
    Brandon Szymanski turns around to bat left-handed.
    Dayton Dragons Brandon Szymanski ejected by HP umpire Brad Purdom.
    Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Gerardo Cabrera replaces Brandon Szymanski.
    Brandon Szymanski strikes out swinging.

Bailey was wild in the 1st, walking two guys, 2 WP's, 3K's lol!! Then he settled down. Improving control is the big reason why Bailey's improved on his 4.48 in low A ERA from last year to its present 2.68 between A/AA. When you walk 63 in 103 innings, you will have a high ERA. Improving command of his stuff is what will push Bailey over the top, and what he seemed to make a major improvement with from May to June. Maybe he saw the Zen Master?

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    I started listening to the Dragons game and the announcers said B.J. was ejected, but it didnt sound like they knew why or didnt want to say.
    Sounds like frustration. I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce isn't a big source of BJ's frustration, considering he hit much better in Dayton last year and he slumped off again when Stubbs was chosen. Getting shownup by a 19 year old must not be easy to take, but then your "replacement" is drafted......ouch! I think a new organization may be due.

Caveat, I hear you, but at what point is the sample size large enough?

I think Ryan Wagner is an interesting comparison though a bit misleading in that he didn't throw many inning at each level.
    Homer dominating is all the more impressive because he's seeing lineups 2 or 3times through.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Bailey didn't pitch the 6th.

His updates AA stats thru three starts:

17 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 22 K, 0.00 ERA, 0.65 WHIP, 11.65 K/9
    Who said we were rushing him again? Said he wasn't ready?

It sure as shoot wasn't me... I advocated the move.. challenge Homer.. he's defenitely risen to ALL challenges thrown his way this season.. big year so far for Homer..

That said, his transition to AA is better than even I would have expected.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Only 3 games...Only 3 games...must keep repeating that it's only three games...
    Yes its only 3 games, only 3 games.. small sample sizes - but quite a few folks were predicting impeding doom following the promotion... It hasn't been the story at all.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Yes its only 3 games, only 3 games.. small sample sizes - but quite a few folks were predicting impeding doom following the promotion... It hasn't been the story at all.
    It's a small sample size, and all we're getting are results -- when what we really need to be concerned about is process.

For example, I look at Homer Bailey's statline and see 9Ks. Nine strikeouts looks fantastic for 5IP, but is he getting his strikeouts because nobody can catch up to his fastball or because he's actually pitching well? Is his curveball still looking sharp and falling for strikes when he throws it? How is his changeup progressing?

Bailey has the talent to be a #1, top flight starter in the majors -- and I say that believing that, right now, there are only maybe 10-12 legitimate "#1" guys in the bigs. He's got an electric fastball, but it'll be command of his curveball and change that will elevate him to that upper echelon. Read me a scouting report saying he's mastered throwing those and I'll gladly join everyone drinking the Homer Bailey kool-aid.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Stubbs is off to a rough start.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    A .400 OBP sounds good to me, although his SLG is a bit low for my tastes.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Well, that would be true... if it was.

Stubbs isn't playing as well in Rookie ball as I thought he would. He may have an OBP of about .400, but that percentage is bolstered by a number of HBPs. However, it seems to me that he's mastered some of the things that new professionals often take a while to learn. He's an outstanding baserunner, plays great defense, and has been stealing bases very effectively. Granted, I haven't actually seen him play, but I've listened to the Billings radio broadcasts.

Hopefully once he becomes used to using a wood bat his batting average and slugging percentage will come around. I'm not worried about him. Its only been two weeks.

Homer's next start is Friday in Jackson, TN. That's about 80 or so miles from Memphis. Which means I am making a slight road trip to see him, without a doubt.

It's hard to put too much stock into stats this early in the season. I wouldn't worry too much.

Turn Off Ads?