Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I really can't take it anymore ...

GOREDSGO32

I really can't take it anymore ...

WHY?

Why does Weathers (especially) and Mercker still have a job here? Are we just cycling through DFA's to get one out once a week and wait until THEN to have a chance with our bullpen? For God's sake, pull the plug, how many more games do we have to blow?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: IU really can't take it anymore ...

You just knew that something bad was going to happen every time the bullpen comes in

GOREDSGO32

Yessir

What does this have to do with the Hoosiers?

GOREDSGO32

Mistype .. the I and U are right next to each other. Although a Knight tirade would be very appropriate at this point.

It's a lot tougher to release guys making $1.5 million, like Mercker and Weathers do, than it is a guy like Hammond who makes barely over the league minimum. Drop both of those guys and Castellini burns $3 million away. I can understand the reluctancy.

I wish there was something better also, but Shackleford and Belisle reminded us yesterday that there isn't very many better options within the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32
    Mistype .. the I and U are right next to each other. Although a Knight tirade would be very appropriate at this point.
    I miss having a good Knight tirade two or three times a year.

GOREDSGO32

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    It's a lot tougher to release guys making $1.5 million, like Mercker and Weathers do, than it is a guy like Hammond who makes barely over the league minimum. Drop both of those guys and Castellini burns $3 million away. I can understand the reluctancy.

I wish there was something better also, but Shackleford and Belisle reminded us yesterday that there isn't very many better options within the organization.
    Sunk cost, they're going to earn that much either way, whether they are on the team or not. If they are in the bullpen, its just hurting the team .. do you keep them around to blow games just because you are paying for it? Not sound logic.

There may not be anything better, but why not bring up guys like Michalak and Shearn? Surely they can do better than blowing EVERY game.

Re: I really can't take it anymore ...

I can not think of a time in my fortyseven years of following the cincinnati reds that they have had such a poor group of relievers. Sometimes they have had poor middle relief but good enough late men and some years only average setup men and average closers but never have they gone into the late innings of a game with inept arms like this. I'm sorry to see good guys like Mercker,Hammond and Weathers end this way but enough is enough.

Sunk cost, they're going to earn that much either way, whether they are on the team or not. If they are in the bullpen, its just hurting the team .. do you keep them around to blow games just because you are paying for it? Not sound logic.
    Actually, no. It's only a sunk cost if no other option that can provide more value can be found. In other words, if you could trade them for some prospects that would be better than eating the contract because it builds for the future. If you can convince another team to pick up any part of their contract it's better than eating the entire contract and that money can be reinvested.

Just flushing the money down the toilet without exploring every lost option that might provide you some sort of additional value is the illogical choice.

Now, once all of those options are exasuted, then I TOTALLY agree that they should be sent packing as quickly as possible and eat the contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Actually, no. It's only a sunk cost if no other option that can provide more value can be found. In other words, if you could trade them for some prospects that would be better than eating the contract because it builds for the future. If you can convince another team to pick up any part of their contract it's better than eating the entire contract and that money can be reinvested.

Just flushing the money down the toilet without exploring every lost option that might provide you some sort of additional value is the illogical choice.

Now, once all of those options are exasuted, then I TOTALLY agree that they should be sent packing as quickly as possible and eat the contracts.
    I can't imagine any team wanting those guys...let alone paying part of the contracts.

I think the Reds thinking at this point has to be, why pay 10 or 11 guys to blow games when 6 will do.

I think that is why Narron was begging for anyone to come in and get the job done because he knows there are not any reinforcements on the way.

Wonder what the record is for a team that has the most relievers DFA'ed during a season?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels
    I can't imagine any team wanting those guys...let alone paying part of the contracts.
    The Phillies and Mets took White and Williams . . .

Then again, we picked up Mays and Yan.

All signs of how desperate everyone is for pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels
    Somebody took Rick White.

Sorry, somebody beat me to it.

Turn Off Ads?